Covid

Just a little warning guys. As a Father who has two out of three of my grown up kids suffering badly (badly = desperately trying to hang onto their jobs and unable to function as they did before) with long covid, this virus is a bit like playing Russian roulette when you catch it. From the most recent figures from ONS:

• An estimated 1.9 million people living in private households in the UK (2.9% of the population) were experiencing self-reported long COVID (symptoms continuing for more than four weeks after the first confirmed or suspected coronavirus (COVID-19) infection that were not explained by something else) as of 5 March 2023 (see Figure 1).
  • Of people with self-reported long COVID, 83,000 (4%) first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 less than 12 weeks previously, 1.7 million people (92%) at least 12 weeks previously, 1.3 million (69%) at least one year previously and 762,000 (41%) at least two years previously.

• Dr Simon Williams, a behavioural scientist and public health researcher at Swansea University, said the findings indicated an absolute public health crisis: “It may not be an acute crisis like we saw in 2020-21 and the early peaks of pre-vaccination Covid, but it’s more of an ongoing chronic crisis.

“Thankfully due to vaccines, death rates and hospitalisations due to acute infection are and will likely remain low. But long Covid is unfortunately a problem that cannot be ignored.” He added: “If five years ago, we were to imagine that a completely new disease, which for some can cause medium- to long-term, and potentially disabling symptoms in approximately 3% of the population, which is what the new figures suggest, we would be enormously concerned.”

3% of the population might look small enough but believe me, if you have it it will fuck you up big time. I'm talking heart problems/damage, brain fog, muscle pain/degeneration, chronic fatigue, breathlessness. It matters little about the severity of the initial infection - many with mild/no symptoms have gone on to suffer LV.
And there is no cure.
You may get better in time, you may not. My lad has had it since Summer 22. Daughter since late last year.
Please don't be blase about you or your family catching it.

Just a little warning guys. As a Father who has two out of three of my grown up kids suffering badly (badly = desperately trying to hang onto their jobs and unable to function as they did before) with long covid, this virus is a bit like playing Russian roulette when you catch it. From the most recent figures from ONS:

• An estimated 1.9 million people living in private households in the UK (2.9% of the population) were experiencing self-reported long COVID (symptoms continuing for more than four weeks after the first confirmed or suspected coronavirus (COVID-19) infection that were not explained by something else) as of 5 March 2023 (see Figure 1).
  • Of people with self-reported long COVID, 83,000 (4%) first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 less than 12 weeks previously, 1.7 million people (92%) at least 12 weeks previously, 1.3 million (69%) at least one year previously and 762,000 (41%) at least two years previously.

• Dr Simon Williams, a behavioural scientist and public health researcher at Swansea University, said the findings indicated an absolute public health crisis: “It may not be an acute crisis like we saw in 2020-21 and the early peaks of pre-vaccination Covid, but it’s more of an ongoing chronic crisis.

“Thankfully due to vaccines, death rates and hospitalisations due to acute infection are and will likely remain low. But long Covid is unfortunately a problem that cannot be ignored.” He added: “If five years ago, we were to imagine that a completely new disease, which for some can cause medium- to long-term, and potentially disabling symptoms in approximately 3% of the population, which is what the new figures suggest, we would be enormously concerned.”

3% of the population might look small enough but believe me, if you have it it will fuck you up big time. I'm talking heart problems/damage, brain fog, muscle pain/degeneration, chronic fatigue, breathlessness. It matters little about the severity of the initial infection - many with mild/no symptoms have gone on to suffer LV.
And there is no cure.
You may get better in time, you may not. My lad has had it since Summer 22. Daughter since late last year.
I am really sorry to read about your son and daughter@Saddleworth2. Long Covid is very concerning across the country and more research needs to be done into helping the people who are suffering.
I hope that your two are receiving support and will start to improve soon.

I agree with your second post as well, about that personage who we have to have as Prime Minister.
Take care.

Caught Covid back in 2021, was very ill, struggling to breathe, etc. took 3 months to go back to work (which was way too early) on a phased return and over a year to start feeling properly better again. Its left me with a heart arythmia though. Despite that, I still know, that I was lucky and it didnt kill me.

Caught covid again last October, just felt like a bad cold, back in work 3 days later. No lasting symptoms.

I think it depends on the strain and just pure luck as to how your body fights it.

And there is no cure.
Sorry to hear that. Its an absolute woman.

I am really sorry to read about your son and daughter@Saddleworth2. Long Covid is very concerning across the country and more research needs to be done into helping the people who are suffering.
I hope that your two are receiving support and will start to improve soon.

I agree with your second post as well, about that personage who we have to have as Prime Minister.
Take care.
apologies for the language Eccles :-(

Interestingly my daughter is receiving very good support from her GP. My son is in another health region and is spending time tutoring his about LC.

If I'm honest, I have little hope that we will see them return to health. Both have been told in different ways that they have to come to terms with their new reality. The main priority is that they can keep their jobs. My daughter is a district dementia nurse and its not looking too good at present.

Just tested positive, it's like a bad cold. Up all night coughing. Bastard thing.
Anybody else have it recently?
Had it about 2 months ago. I’ve had it about 4-5 times now and its affects me just like you say, a weak cold with body aches. I will say this though, it has left me with pain and weakness in both shoulders since. I can’t seem to shake it off. A week after my first Covid jab my eyesight went from being perfect to slightly blurred since. When I booked in at boots opticians they told me 6 people had reported the same thing that week. I do know people that have almost died from it. Not old or overweight either

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.