2 | Kyle Walker - 2023/24

He has dipped because he is 33, he has shagged about for a decade, away from the pitch he is an arse but I only care what he does ON the pitch and he has been a magnificent player in our shirt.

I don't think age has anything to do with his performances this season. The first goal against Real at home he was trying to play offside rather than concentrating on clearing the danger, and was actually the one playing them onside. His pace was there to get past Vinicius and hold him off for Ederson to collect the ball in the second half. It's his concentration and mindset that have been missing. He's always relied on pace to get him out of trouble, but he's making a lot of unforced errors this season when seemingly having a situation under control.

I would personally be playing Akanji at RB over Walker for the remainder of the season.

I don't think age has anything to do with his performances this season. The first goal against Real at home he was trying to play offside rather than concentrating on clearing the danger, and was actually the one playing them onside. His pace was there to get past Vinicius and hold him off for Ederson to collect the ball in the second half. It's his concentration and mindset that have been missing. He's always relied on pace to get him out of trouble, but he's making a lot of unforced errors this season when seemingly having a situation under control.

I would personally be playing Akanji at RB over Walker for the remainder of the season.
His recovery is fading, the speed is still there but it takes him longer to get his wind and head back.

To still be playing at this level and with his speed at 33 is incredible.

I would agree that it is more mental than physical, though fatigue is a complex beast. Attempting a drag-back in the Forest game, that allowed their attacker a free run at goal, was an elementary defensive error, otherwise known as a brain-fart.

He has dipped because he is 33, he has shagged about for a decade, away from the pitch he is an arse but I only care what he does ON the pitch and he has been a magnificent player in our shirt.
Yes, but not this season. Give him a testimonial, paint a mural of him, build him a small statue even, but get him off the pitch, ASAP...

1000%

His recovery is fading, the speed is still there but it takes him longer to get his wind and head back.

To still be playing at this level and with his speed at 33 is incredible.

I think his recovery is fine mate. His pace is still there, it's his general play and defending which has been poor and I think that's down to a lack of concentration.

As I said, you don't track and get past Vinicius if you're not still in shape. But to appeal of offside, despite playing him on and defend the situation with your arm in the air for the majority of time and then leave the only other Real player in the box to try and intercept the ball across was poor.

He's made several errors on the ball. Strangely he's been much better in the final third this season than in the defensive third - maybe that's the reason. Either way I wouldn't start him.

Has one season left on his contract extension and it would not be the worst of ideas of letting him fufill that but perhaps signing his successor this summer. As it has been mentioned Saudi Arabia is not the wisest of choices in the next destination.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.