Sandy Wann

Thank you to all who posted helpful posts and I have spoken to my sister and will report back after she tells me about her meeting.

I expected some humorous posts so wasn’t over concerned except for Stephen230 who I had a high regard for as a poster which made me wonder if it could be true and discussed it with my sister. We agreed that she wouldn’t raise the matter but she would try and see if anything came out of their meeting on the subject.

Thank you to all who posted helpful posts and I have spoken to my sister and will report back after she tells me about her meeting.

I expected some humorous posts so wasn’t over concerned except for Stephen230 who I had a high regard for as a poster which made me wonder if it could be true and discussed it with my sister. We agreed that she wouldn’t raise the matter but she would try and see if anything came out of their meeting on the subject.

Sorry.

@Gary James is a football historian who could point you in the right direction.

@Cassandra

I don't have much on them but I do know that Sandy Wann joined City on 25/6/58 from Luncarty Juniors (Dave Ewing's old team too!) and left City on 9/5/1960, joining St Mirren. George Greenall left City on 4/4/1960. My notes are not clear but George either went to Oldham or Southampton.

In 1959-60 George made 5 Central League appearances and Wann made 8. In 1958-59 Greenall played 2.

Wann's Central League games over both seasons were:

21/3/59 v Blackpool
11/4/59 v Barnsley
18/4/59 v Huddersfield
25/4/59 v Wolves
22/8/59 v Wolves
29/8/59 v Sheff Wed
31/8/59 v Chesterfield
5/8/59 v Aston Villa
19/3/60 v WBA
6/4/60 v Blackburn
15/4/60 v Bolton
23/4/60 v PNE

For those interested I have put my records of all the Central League games for 1958-1960 played by City on my website today. You can check attendances etc. there:

@Cassandra

I don't have much on them but I do know that Sandy Wann joined City on 25/6/58 from Luncarty Juniors (Dave Ewing's old team too!) and left City on 9/5/1960, joining St Mirren. George Greenall left City on 4/4/1960. My notes are not clear but George either went to Oldham or Southampton.

In 1959-60 George made 5 Central League appearances and Wann made 8. In 1958-59 Greenall played 2.

Wann's Central League games over both seasons were:

21/3/59 v Blackpool
11/4/59 v Barnsley
18/4/59 v Huddersfield
25/4/59 v Wolves
22/8/59 v Wolves
29/8/59 v Sheff Wed
31/8/59 v Chesterfield
5/8/59 v Aston Villa
19/3/60 v WBA
6/4/60 v Blackburn
15/4/60 v Bolton
23/4/60 v PNE

For those interested I have put my records of all the Central League games for 1958-1960 played by City on my website today. You can check attendances etc. there:

Thanks for that.

George Greenall went down to Southampton but was only there for a few weeks, my sister was planning on going to visit him when he ’phoned her at work to give her the “good” news that he was coming back home having signed for Oldham. Whether he had been at Southampton on trial or just didn’t like it down there I don’t know. After Oldham he played for Altrincham, Stafford and Congleton.

My sister’s meeting with Sammy Wann’s son went well. He is a big City fan with a season ticket, his work takes him abroad quite a bit but he attends when he’s at home.
Apparently Sammy used to lodge with Denis Law and his son still keeps in touch with Denis although he says he’s not in a good way. After his playing day’s were over Sammy used to work in Roy Clarke’s shop before moving into sportsware. Sadly he developed motor neurone disease.

My sister used to go to the Plaza ballroom during her lunch hours where she met a number of City, and some United,players.

Thanks for that.

George Greenall went down to Southampton but was only there for a few weeks, my sister was planning on going to visit him when he ’phoned her at work to give her the “good” news that he was coming back home having signed for Oldham. Whether he had been at Southampton on trial or just didn’t like it down there I don’t know. After Oldham he played for Altrincham, Stafford and Congleton.

My sister’s meeting with Sammy Wann’s son went well. He is a big City fan with a season ticket, his work takes him abroad quite a bit but he attends when he’s at home.
Apparently Sammy used to lodge with Denis Law and his son still keeps in touch with Denis although he says he’s not in a good way. After his playing day’s were over Sammy used to work in Roy Clarke’s shop before moving into sportsware. Sadly he developed motor neurone disease.

My sister used to go to the Plaza ballroom during her lunch hours where she met a number of City, and some United,players.
Well this is an odd one. I got to this page because I was Googling George Greenall. A couple of hours ago I was walking through Bramhall Park with my wife and we got chatting to an old chap, who was 86. He was wearing a City cap, so we were talking about City and he asked if I’d heard of George, because a few of them get together to watch the matches on TV and one of the gang is a lady who used to be married to him. Small world.

Sandy finished his working days as a baggage handler at Manchester Airport . Not sure the year he started there , it was probably around 2001 . The company folded in 2007 and many were made redundant , including Sandy , who I believe retired .
Spent many a day playing cards in the crew room with him and talking about City , but don't recall him mention that he played for City . Only put 2 and 2 together when I saw the name on here ( can't be that many Sandy Wann's out there ) . Made some enquires and it was 100 percent him .
Proper great bloke , and the King of one liners ,wish I had known of his past at the time .
Sadly passed away in February 2019 .

I find it strange that no one else has had an issue with the post, only you. Anyway; to repeat myself, I'm sorry that you found offence where there clearly isn't any.
Bizarre assumption.

So, just to correct you, I also found it offensive to respond with a feeble joke immediately after someone came on here earnestly requesting information on behalf of the surviving relatives of a former Blue (and I doubt I'm the only one). Hopefully that makes the situation a little less "strange" for you.

Maybe just grow up a little and accept that some people might have a different viewpoint to you? Or, better yet, have a bit of accountability when you make a shit joke? Or, if you insist on being a child, at least save the Tory-level "sorry you found offence" apologies for yourself.

I wonder if any long time City fans know anything interesting about a Scottish player who was on City’s books in the early 1960’s. I don’t think he ever played for the first team but Was a regular in the reserves alongside my late brother in law, George Greenall. Like George and several other City players he went on to play for Oldham.
Anyhow, both Sandy and his wife passed away in recent years and their funerals were held at my sister’s church and as George’s previous wife she attended and Sandy’s children were interested. in talking to her to see if she could tell them anything about Sandy from that time. She has collected some of her memorabilia including a squad picture showing Sandy and George to show them. I know this is a long shot but I just wondered whether anyone could add anything to his story.
Try @Gary James, our club’s historian.

I apologise that you have clearly found offence in my post. Just wondering, though; you haven't found some of the other posts inappropriate. Any particular reason for this?
I didn’t think your comments were in good taste, either, J.

Especially as you’re a mod.

Bizarre assumption.

So, just to correct you, I also found it offensive to respond with a feeble joke immediately after someone came on here earnestly requesting information on behalf of the surviving relatives of a former Blue (and I doubt I'm the only one). Hopefully that makes the situation a little less "strange" for you.

Maybe just grow up a little and accept that some people might have a different viewpoint to you? Or, better yet, have a bit of accountability when you make a shit joke? Or, if you insist on being a child, at least save the Tory-level "sorry you found offence" apologies for yourself.
Brilliant post, some posters on here shut grow up or better grow up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.