National Football Museum opens at Urbis on 6 July

<a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1582128_first-look-inside-national-football-museum-at-urbis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... m-at-urbis</a>

Arriving at the National Football Museum is like turning up on a Saturday afternoon at your beloved's ground - only minus the puddles and the smell of fried onions and horse manure.

Passing through a metal turnstile into the atrium I was immediately greeted with what looked like four tiers of a towering stadium with each hosting its own glittering haul of footballing treasures.

The atrium itself is home to the Hall of Fame with an 'LED curtain' projecting images of greats who have graced the English game with their presence over the past century.

Straight away there is a Mancunian feel – with quotes from United boss Sir Alex Ferguson about hard work overcoming natural talent and legendary City supremo Joe Mercer on playing with a pig's bladder salvaged from a local abattoir looming large on a white wall next to a scroll of inductees.

From 'pitch level' I was led upstairs to the first floor, which captures the history of the game.

Here the original rules, penned by the wonderfully-named Ebenezer Cobb Morley in 1863, sit next to a ball made of condoms by Malawi children in 2011 – who – along with billions of others, still use those regulations.

The museum's 'First XI' are encased in front of screens telling each exhibit's story. They include an England shirt from their match with Scotland in 1872 - the world's first international - and a scarf placed carefully on Liverpool's famous Kop in memory of those who perished in the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster.

From there it was along the projected cobbles of the Lowry Corridor, where you can boot a projected leather ball out of your way, to the Salford artist's £7m valued Going to the Match masterpiece.

Here you can hear stories from fans about their first match and look at the way terrace fashion has changed through the ages – from the suits and flat caps of the 50s to the Sergio Tacchini jumpers and Adidas Samba trainers of the 80s casuals.

A staggering collection of weapons, including chains, knives and knuckle dusters seized from 'supporters' by Greater Manchester Police serves as a reminder of the dark days of hooliganism.

Elsewhere, a poignant collection of items associated with the Munich Air Disaster lies underneath a picture of the wreckage along with a quiet booth in the 'stadium zone' which shows a video of the Hillsborough Disaster as words from the Taylor Report into the tragedy are read out.

Floor two houses most of the attraction's interactive features.

Here, visitors can become penalty shoot out heroes, test their reflexes against those of City stopper Joe Hart and bend it like Beckham on the 'Pass Master'.

Each will leave with their own report card.

The third floor is the new home of Stuart Clarke's award-winning 'Homes of Football' collection while an exhibition by African artists who use football to explore protest, politics and social engagement will be added before opening day.

The hour flew by and soon the curator puts the whistle to his lips and it was time to traipse home.

I left feeling like I have only scratched the surface – and already planning my tactics for the second leg.

Fact and figures
Around £8.5m has been spent on transforming Urbis into the National Football Museum funded principally by Manchester council. A grant of £3.85m has also been handed over from the European Regional Development Fund.

Entry is free, although those wishing to take part in the seven football challenges will have to pay for a ticket.

The museum opens on July 6 and officials are hoping 350,000 will pass through the turnstile in its first year.

Around 140,000 items will be on display – which bosses say cannot be given a collective value.

Poignant
The museum covers the whole of football's history – taking in the good, the bad and the ugly.

It features a poignant tribute to those who perished in the 1958 Munich Air Disaster where visitors can inspect a dinner card signed by the Busby Babes in Belgrade shortly before they jetted out to Germany on the way home.

A commemorative seven-inch brass plate presented to the players in Yugoslavia and found on the wreckage-strewn runway is also on display along with a programme from United's first match after the tragedy against Sheffield Wednesday.

Under the team sheet for the Reds there are 11 empty spaces.

A dramatic picture of the Bradford City stadium fire in 1985 also features along with a booth telling the story of the Hillsborough Disaster.

Visitors can lean against a crush barrier while watching footage of the tragedy, which claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans, and listen to the findings of the Taylor Report into its causes.

Interactive
Fooball Plus+ gives visitors seven chances to pit themselves against the games greats.

Penalty Shootout offers the chance to see if you can do better than England players Ashley Young and Ashley Cole while Shot-Stopper allows you to test your reflexes against Joe Hart.

On the Ball will put your control skills under the spotlight while One-Two will find out how much of a team player you are.

Pass Master will give you a chance to prove you are the new Paul Scholes while budding John Motsons can take the mike in the Match of the Day Commentary Challenge.

For those who dream of European glory with the likes of Rochdale, Oldham or Bury, Lift The Trophy gives the opportunity to get to grips with the silverware from the Continent's leading competitions.

Exhibits
The original rules of the game, penned in 1863, greet visitors as soon as they enter the museum and from there on the museum's staggering collection of exhibits from across the planet take centre stage.

They include a replica of the Jules Rimet trophy used in the post-match celebrations after the 1966 World Cup Final and the ball from that game which saw England defeat West Germany 4-2.

The oldest surviving FA Cup, dating back to 1896 is also on display along with a host of famous shirts worn by stars such as Real Madrid legend Alfredo Di Stefano and Diego Maradona's jersey from the infamous 1986 'Hand of God' match which saw Argentina defeat England 2-1 after he punched the ball into the net.

The neck brace worn by City's legendary goalkeeper Bert Trautmann following the Blues 1956 FA Cup Final victory in which he famously carried on playing despite breaking his neck, is also on display along with the shirt Bobby Moore wore in the 1981 epic Escape to Victory.

Technology
Thanks to an illusionary technique known as Pepper's Ghost, visitors can watch as holograms of Gary Lineker and Ashton-born World Cup winner Geoff Hurst get to grips with various exhibits in the museum.

At one point Lineker can be seen placing the Jules Rimet trophy on a real-life table.

A giant digital 'video sphere' tells the story of how the game spread across the world while a 10m by 3m wraparound screen tells the story of football from Hackney Marshes to the Etihad stadium.

Verdict
Project co-ordinator Andy Pearce says the aim of the museum is to ensure visitors 'learn a bit about football, a bit about people and tell others to come and visit'.

As a self-confessed football geek this place was like heaven on Urbis for me.

The exhibitions grab the attention while the interactive sections transform you into Wayne Rooney (or Andy Ritchie, in my case).

Children and adults will love it.

But for those who do not schedule their weekends around Match of the Day there is plenty to make it worth a visit – not that it is all about the upbeat face of the 'beautiful game'.

The museum does not hide away from the darker side of football and is certainly not a Walt Disney-style sickly sweet tribute to the sport.

Fascinating tales of how homophobia, sexism and racism have often reared their ugly heads within the game give a frank insight into how times have changed for the better.

Mr Pearce says nobody will see everything the first time they visit. There is simply too much to take in in one go. And with new exhibitions planned, the National Football Museum is ready to bring the crowds flocking in – and then back for more.

I'll defiantly be going. It seems a shame that it got moved from Preston's ground though but the pro's and con's have probably been gone over more than once already.

Does anybody else love the timing of it moving to Manchester and opening in the year a team from Manchester wins the Premier League.

I'll be taking the lad down for a walk round when its open.

Scall any chance of you pulling a few strings to get me some corporate hospitality or sumat ;)

moon said:
Wonder if there will be anything from the QPR game donated by City

I've been down there to supply some signed memorabilia to the shop and I asked them the same question but at the moment there's nothing current from what they've told me although I haven't been around the museum, sound like its going to be great though.

I know its most likely nonsense, but is it true "the ticker" from the Stretford End is going to be displayed?

I know its most likely nonsense, but is it true "the ticker" from the Stretford End is going to be displayed?

If it is we need to donate a banner saying

Manchester Rag free since 1910 or the Tevez Welcome to manchester poster just to even things up:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.