Our Support In The Birds Nest Stadium

danburge82 said:
lancs blue said:
BlueHalli said:
I dont mean to sound bad but I hope their league really picks up so they can support a team that isnt thousands of miles away. This sort of thing pisses me off! Why would you decided to support a team that isnt even in the country you originate from!!?? Bunch of fooking glory seekers these lot from China etc.

These countries get more or less saturation coverage of the PL, it's hardly surprising that many form an attachment to one or other of the teams. Why does it piss you off?
I'm not arguing against your point here as people can do what tey like, but I'd just like to add that the NRL in Australia is the absolute best rugby league league in the world. I pay £6.99 a month for Premier Sports on Sky and get four or five live games from the NRL every week. There are English players even paying for some of the teams (there are three Burgess brothers, not related to me, playing for Souths) yet I do not and will never feel the need to "support" or latch on to any team. I even have a cousin who lives in Manly and I don't support them.

The NBA is the absolute best basketball league in the world. ESPN shows four or five live games from the NBA every week. There are a couple of English players playing for clubs over the (Deng plays for Chicago) yet I do not and will never feel the need to "support" or latch on to any team.

The two sports I was best at playing when I was a bit younger were rugby league and basketball. I love both sports, especially RL.

As I say, people can do what they like but the notion of latching on to a club because they're good (never mind having any connections to a club) is odd as fuck to me. I'm not part of their community, I don't know their songs, I don't know their history, I'm not exposed to their rivalries and don't understand what their hatred for rivals is about, and most of all I don't go to their games.
Don't ever come over here then. That sentence of yours sums up 99% of vermin fans over here.

most of the city fans there were from england aswell or werent chinese.

there were about 50-100 "western" blues there but most were expats living in OZ, NZ or China (like me). There were fewer western Arse fans. There were quite a few locals in City shirts/scarves but what was noticable was how much more organised the Arsenal fans and team were; fans had big flags, chants etc. At the end the Arsenal team ran round the pitch with a big banner in Chinese which I assume said something like "thank you, we promise we'll win something soon" while our lads milled about aimlessly, then did a quick lap waving. Could have done with a "Champions" banner in Chinese.

jrb said:
TBH I was expecting more support. Thought last seasons title win, and how it was achieved, might have attracted a larger following in China. Showing at the friendly.

We don't have any Chinese players..
IMO that is why, ManUre do, Arsenal did..and we have only one the PL once.
We have a long way to go, but they are exciting times :)

BlueHalli said:
I dont mean to sound bad but I hope their league really picks up so they can support a team that isnt thousands of miles away. This sort of thing pisses me off! Why would you decided to support a team that isnt even in the country you originate from!!?? Bunch of fooking glory seekers these lot from China etc.

Ok i agree with the term platics but without plastics who watch city and spend money to buy shirts ... city would be Doncaster and who will pay aguero's salary ... if the club is not generating money

some should forget the championship mentality like, hey look we support our town club you are supported by foreigners

Red also in the far east is also considered a very lucky colour, so that's why Manure, Liverpool and Arse have good support there, it will take many years of us winning things and having megastar player like Ronaldo or Messi to make real in roads in these areas of the world. Personally I think we are aiming more for North America with a lot of the City in the neighbourhood stuff and of course the middle east, we can then grow from there. We should be ideally placed to capitalise on the Qatar 2020 World Cup when hopefully we will have the world beating names in our team.

InMyLifetime-BaconChops said:
jrb said:
TBH I was expecting more support. Thought last seasons title win, and how it was achieved, might have attracted a larger following in China. Showing at the friendly.

We don't have any Chinese players..
IMO that is why, ManUre do, Arsenal did..and we have only one the PL once.
We have a long way to go, but they are exciting times :)

Arsenal and Manchester United don't have any chinese players either...

Falastur said:
For someone who only managed to watch the game on a tiny screen all the way across a pub (and only for 30 mins at that) can someone please sum up how much support we actually had there? Like, was there a 90-10 % split in support, or did our supporters number in the dozens only?

franksinatra said:
lancs blue said:
These countries get more or less saturation coverage of the PL, it's hardly surprising that many form an attachment to one or other of the teams. Why does it piss you off?

They get saturation coverage of the Premier league because they are interested in it and wish to follow one of these teams. It doesnt make sense to me either.

I would support a local team and have an attachment to that. When City were in Div 2 I never decided to follow Real Madrid.

You guys need to understand that sports in other continents didn't evolve like they did here. There's no such things as "community clubs" on the national scale in Asia or the USA - teams belong to the owners and no-one else. Therefore they have a culture of just following whatever club is in vogue at the time. In fact I've seen this point raised to American football fans before (via t'internets, not in person) and they've just frankly said "why should we support our local team? What do we gain from it?" Simply put, the non-European fans don't have the concept of a club existing for the community.
Ive got to disagree with that mate , having visited Cleveland Ohio regularly , the NFL team the Browns , represent that City ( and North East Ohio ) just as much as any soccer team in europe ,

I thought everyone in China started supporting city when we bought Sun Jihai?

Can't think of any other reason for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.