Deep Purple

MCFCTrick said:
A great great hard rock band in their day.

Still capable of turning out a decent song or two now, but live they are awful. Gillan spends more time off stage than on it, and seems bored.... and while technically Steve Morse is as good as either Blackmore or Bolin, he has none of their soul or feel, and leaves me cold....

One of my top ten bands.

I consider Blackmore to be God, as it were, and have mostly avoided their tours and product with Morse; however, I really liked their last album and went to see them on last year's tour, which was most enjoyable. However, Purple without Blackmore is not really Purple. That said, I am a big fan on Tommy Bolin's work and his album with the other guys from Purple; it's just not a proper Purple album.

As far as musicians go, Blackmore is the most exciting performer I have seen - a genius - and teamed with great musicians like Paice and Lord, the effect could be musically spectacular.

One of my great regrets is that I never saw them live until the Mk 2 reformation at Knebworth.

Blue2112 said:
The greatest live album with the greatest ever live recorded song and the definitive ultimate rock song - Highway Star.

Saw Glenn Hughes last year and he was absolutely blinding.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_eSq56zXEU[/youtube]

First time I heard that album, all those years ago, my jaw dropped. Definitely one of the very best live albums ever; obviously Glen Hughes doesn't feature on it but he does on Live in Europe, which is almost as good.

I saw Hughes last year too and he was rather good.

Bluemania66 said:
In their pomp, the best live act ever.

Yes , I saw them at Belle Vue when I was about 19 I think (1971 ?)

Having see most big name bands over the years, I can say assuredly that DP were the best live band Ive ever seen.

The interplay between them was phenomenal and they rocked really really hard, brilliant.

Superb band at their best and as OB1 said was glad to catch Mk2 at Knebworth. In Rock, Machinehead and Made in Japan were the pinnacle, but I always used to love Made In Europe as Mk3's best album.

When I split from the first MrsT in 1988 I hit the beer pretty hard and every Friday after work used to get home absolutely bladdered and usually collapse in an unattractive heap when I got in. But one night I still had loads of energy and thought I needed to hear the world's best live double album at concert volume. Being a considerate kind of guy I decided to listen to it on headphones and proceeded to a very happy 80 or so minutes experiencing Purple at full blast.

It was only when side 4 had finished and I took the headphones off did I hear some frantic banging on the front door at 2.00am. I rushed downstairs concerned someone was in trouble to be greeted at the front door by a blue flashing light, 2 coppers and several neighbours. I protested that I was listening to music but had my headphones on so I couldn't possibly have disturbed anyone; they agreed no-one had heard any music but had become extremely concerned at the level of violent screaming coming from my flat - especially as the neighbours knew things were difficult in my marriage.

I started listening to Enya instead.

Tourist since 1971 said:
Superb band at their best and as OB1 said was glad to catch Mk2 at Knebworth. In Rock, Machinehead and Made in Japan were the pinnacle, but I always used to love Made In Europe as Mk3's best album.

When I split from the first MrsT in 1988 I hit the beer pretty hard and every Friday after work used to get home absolutely bladdered and usually collapse in an unattractive heap when I got in. But one night I still had loads of energy and thought I needed to hear the world's best live double album at concert volume. Being a considerate kind of guy I decided to listen to it on headphones and proceeded to a very happy 80 or so minutes experiencing Purple at full blast.

It was only when side 4 had finished and I took the headphones off did I hear some frantic banging on the front door at 2.00am. I rushed downstairs concerned someone was in trouble to be greeted at the front door by a blue flashing light, 2 coppers and several neighbours. I protested that I was listening to music but had my headphones on so I couldn't possibly have disturbed anyone; they agreed no-one had heard any music but had become extremely concerned at the level of violent screaming coming from my flat - especially as the neighbours knew things were difficult in my marriage.

I started listening to Enya instead.

PMSL

Saw them last night in Helsinki, 2nd night of the new(ish) tour

Lot better than I was expecting - though to be honest it was the really the Ian Paice and Don Airey show. Glover chugged along as always, Gillan was on and off but looked pretty happy to be there at the moment - and Steve Morse does a job, but no point getting annoyed at him for not being Blackmore.

Paice was on real form though, an absolute monster. Airey's not Jon Lord, but does brilliantly to be honest.

By coincidence I'm listening to "Child In Time" from the 15th August 1972 gig absolutely awesome.

For all you old hard rock fans, here's some info you might be interested in:

Deep Purple Made In Japan 40th Anniversary Edition Coming March 2014

Absolutely fantastic news that these three shows will be released in their entirety across 4 cd's.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...ssue-box-sets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...ssue-box-sets/</a>

Universal Music are prepping a 40th Anniversary reissue of Deep Purple‘s 1972 live tour-de-force Made In Japan.

Expected at the end of March 2014, this set will feature all three nights (Osaka 15th/16th August and Tokyo 17th August 1972) across three CDs and all the encores collected on a fourth disc (six tracks, including three Black Nights!). A fifth disc comes in the form of a DVD which contains a new documentary and some hi-res content.

Amazingly, there will also be a nine LP vinyl box with the full track listing from the CDs. All the audio for this reissue has been newly remixed by Martin Pullan.

More information on this set when we have it.

Also:

<a class="postlink" href="http://centreforjournalismprojects.c...ponline/?p=824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://centreforjournalismprojects.c...ponline/?p=824</a>

Deep Purple to release 40th anniversary documentary

It’s the fortieth anniversary of Deep Purple’s groundbreaking live album ‘Made in Japan’, and to mark the occasion, operational overseas manager Dr. Drew Thompson is releasing a revealing documentary.

Dr. Thompson hopes to give some background to the mystery that lies behind the three nights in Osaka and Tokyo during the recording of this live album in 1972.

Made in Japan has been ranked as the sixth best live album of all time, and this new documentary, to be released in early 2014, is bound to cause waves.

Dr. Thompson has promised new footage and some historic clips that show how a band that “hated each others’ guts at times” managed to pull through and do the shows.

The documentary will also uncover the meaning behind the song ‘Smoke on the Water’, known for having one of the most iconic riffs in rock history.

In an exclusive meeting with Dr. Thompson, he told Scoop Online that he felt this was new territory even though the original was recorded 40 years ago.

He said: “No one has really done the story on ‘Smoke on the Water’ and I felt like this is something the fans needed to see.”

Describing the footage as the “holy grail” of live music for their fans, Dr. Thompson explains:

“It wasn’t easy making this kind of thing. A lot of research and effort has gone into it.”

He even bought the original clips off a Japanese fan that had recorded the concert in 1972, and has got several famous producers like Kevin Shirley involved.

“It’s essentially a chronology of what happened. We hope to explore aspects of the band no one has ever spoken about. It’s just an amazing story.”

I for one can't wait.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Check out this footage live at Granada Studios Manchester 1970:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwzq52iNaaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwzq52iNaaM</a>

really awesome stuff.

Fuck, it takes me back to seeing them at this period

Awefuckingsome..

Sometimes I wonder if part of the reason the Beatles split up is because they simply couldn't compete with bands like this emerging, put this alongside King Crimson and Yes and by Christ your musicianship has to be a bit good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.