Partner for Kompany - speculation

As per another thread on this section of the forum, I reckon Vertonghen is a shout.

His value has gone down, can get him relatively cheap IMO (~10-15 million).

Belgian, Vinnie's national team mate and partner.

Season so far has been interrupted with injury, management saga, a billion new players, being played out of position on occasions (he's erroneously been used at left back at times).

PL proven. Still fairly young (27 this year)

He'll be playing under a much stronger and experienced manager and coaching team overall. We have bigger players here and better leaders, which will put him in his position.

Also, playing in a stronger backline will help him. Playing alongside Kompany will not only make him look better but also push him in terms of performance. We also have Nastasic who will be hot on his heels and provide strong competition for the spot.

Looking at one of the Spurs forums, they all seem to still rate him highly, just don't like his attitude and effort. We can fix that. He's in a toxic environment.

Throw in a bid, Txiki. It'll save us 15-20 million pounds.

I don't get the phrase "PL proven" when used for players like Vertonghen and Vermaelen. What have they proven? That they are capable of looking like complete liabilities? Both of them made quick starts in the league (kind of devaluing the "premier league proven" tag) but then both have been completely found out defensively since. They both have just looked increasingly poor the longer they've played in the premier league, I'm not sure that proves their suitability for the league at all. Surely if PL experience is a good thing, they should of gotten better over time, not worse?

£35m for Mangala. You're having a laugh right?
David Luiz looked world class in Portugal and when he moved to Chelsea he got found out.
We also got burnt with Garcia, another that looked a top player in Portugal and went on to disappoint.
If we were talking £20m I'd probably take the gamble but £35m is laughable. I really hope we don't blow that much money and a player that stands out in a poor league.

Give me 1 of the Dortmund pair. Mats Hummels or Sokratis Papastathopoulos

BigOscar said:
I don't get the phrase "PL proven" when used for players like Vertonghen and Vermaelen. What have they proven? That they are capable of looking like complete liabilities? Both of them made quick starts in the league (kind of devaluing the "premier league proven" tag) but then both have been completely found out defensively since. They both have just looked increasingly poor the longer they've played in the premier league, I'm not sure that proves their suitability for the league at all.
Vertonghen hasnt been found out defensively at all? He is the only one that stands out for them in defense.
He would be great alongside Vinny.

JacksonJones said:
BigOscar said:
I don't get the phrase "PL proven" when used for players like Vertonghen and Vermaelen. What have they proven? That they are capable of looking like complete liabilities? Both of them made quick starts in the league (kind of devaluing the "premier league proven" tag) but then both have been completely found out defensively since. They both have just looked increasingly poor the longer they've played in the premier league, I'm not sure that proves their suitability for the league at all.
Vertonghen hasnt been found out defensively at all? He is the only one that stands out for them in defense.

He's been poor.

JacksonJones said:
BigOscar said:

He's been awful for spurs a liability for them

sam-caddick said:
Marvin said:
The Verminator could be on his way

Vermaelen? I hope not.

He will be 29 next season as well, we already have to many players getting to that 30 mark.

Mangala only for me.

this^.

mangala only realistic option for me... only unrealistic options i'd even want are t. silva or s. ramos...

a lot of these CB's being mentioned are top notch, and if Mancini was still in charge, then maybe I'd prefer one of them over Mangala... Thing is -- Mancini is gone. His system his gone. Pellegrini's system requires a CB who's game isn't centered around jockeying for positioning, like nastasic (great player but needs to adapt). We need someone who's not afraid to put in a tackle or jump a pass (like MD), but also someone with the pace to recover and/or cover for a mistake from other cb/or a fullback lost in attack. Pellegrini's system involves a little more risk taking from our cb's, and also encourages our fullbacks to attack much more than they ever did for mancini... I think it should be obvious why a player like mangala would preferred over a player like vertonghen...

vertonghen slows down the game. great for possession, right? seems like some of you think that means he'd be a great fit to our system... i don't think so, anyways. decent defender but not a great defender or freak athlete I'd expect to put in a big tackle when we're down in numbers, or run down/keep pace with a quick counter (which are going to happen from time to time with the way we now play). mangala has the potential to do big things for us imo. might still have a decent amount to learn, but he'd be my first choice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.