City Vs Roma Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Roma will surprise a lot of people on this forum. They finished second in the league last season playing very 'entertaining' football. They're a team like Napoli were when they came who can definitely outsmart us tactically, and if they do that, then fair play to them getting through in this group.

The main thing to consider though, is there team came second in Serie A, which without trying to sound arrogant, isn't a very strong league anymore. We won the premiership, where a team like United who got too the 1/4 final of the CL finished 7th!

We should win the game, and hopefully by a few goals, because the away leg will be very difficult!

sgerlat said:
Tbilisi said:
sgerlat said:
Finally, someone rating us properly.

We're almost there, they're better just because they play in the Europe that counts consistently, they're consistely crap though, we could be good, plus we don't have to play a chipped bidet like Wellbeck as our main striker to win games, I reckon that's a big plus.

I love that comment,entered my vocab.

Thanks, being a non-English speaker, I really appreciate your consideration too :-)

Italians love bidet eheh, it's a cultural thing, 97% of us use it, so it's very common for us to come up with a similar expression.

I would have used the italian word "cesso", which means "bidet" and at the same time "piece of crap" referring to someone or just someone who is bad at something, but I couldn't find any equivalent. I do like though the contrast the French word gave to my precedent epithet.

Have you got any idiomatic expression that I may not know? There must be one, even if it's not very popular.

How about 'bobbins'? As in Man Utd are fucking bobbins, or Lee Bradbury was bobbins.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I'll take City by three or four.

Roma? Do me a favour.

Italian club football is a joke.

The above comment was made by an ignoramus. You're in for a big effing surprise. I have been closely following City and Roma for the last couple of seasons and trust me, if City do get a result it will not be a walk in the park. I however feel that City aren't quite ready to express themselves in Europe and therefore I favour Roma to get a result on Tuesday (particularly if City play two up front).

tolmie's hairdoo said:
sgerlat said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Roma? Do me a favour.

Hopefully City's players got the same mentality too, it would be wonderful.

Simply by virtue of Italian football's 'reputation', and Roma being one of their bigger clubs, this game represents the first time we can go into a game of this standing and deliver a proper statement, regardless of them not being a Barca, Real or Bayern.

They are nowhere near that level.

We have needed a night like tomorrow, one where we can not just win, but put on a show for the national TV cameras, should our players be in the mood.

Very confident.

FFS - United once put seven past a Roma team that was vastly superior to this one.

And our team is on a different planet to both of them.

A different planet to a Usited team that had Ronaldo, granny shagger, Wio in his prime?

Van der Sar, Brown, Ferdinand, Heinze, O'Shea (Evra 52), Ronaldo, Fletcher, Carrick (Richardson 73), Giggs (Solskjaer 61), Rooney, Smith.

That was the rag team that day.

Doni, Panucci, Mexes, Chivu, Cassetti, Wilhelmsson (Rosi 88), De Rossi (Faty 86), Vucinic, Pizarro, Mancini (Okaka Chuka 90), Totti.

The current Roma teams better than what they put out that day.

I wonder if it means chipped as in cracked? Or chipped as is souped up, turbo charged?

Either way, I like it :-)

sgerlat said:
mastermind said:
sgerlat said:
You really are underestimating Roma, I don't think you ever watched any of our matches in the last 2 years or so, if you're so sure. Not that you should follow la Serie A.

I do agree when you say City shouldn't fear any opposing team, that's a mentality issue, and I do believe you're better side with slightly better chances of winning the forthcoming challenge, but there's no way a team with De Rossi-Strootman-Iturbe-Castan-Astori injured with still a good bench too, which manage to win them all nonetheless, scoring 5 goals in 50 minutes after a 4 year hiatus from CL, can be just decent and easily beatable.

Having said that the 4-3-3 is overall much more versatile, balanced e unpredictable than any 4-4-2, despite the actors, playing both Djeko and Aguero from the start would be a huge tactical mistake, it could have devasting consequences.

The worst error you could make against Roma is leaving the midfield exposed letting us control the game, tiki-taka style.

I'm not being biased here.

As Pellegrini says .. formations are irrelevant telephone numbers .

You don't automatically win the game if you have more possession . The only stat that matters is the score line.

Roma are a good side in Seria A , but they haven't been tested in Europe .. I think you're on the same level as Everton or Shalke . We could easily beat you 5-0 but it all depends on what kind of mood the players are in and what kind of mood the crowd is in.

Yeah, right... and then there's the marmot who puts the chocolate in the alu-foil.

If a Bosnian native, who supposedly support City and follows Roma because of Pjanic, registers to this forum and says he would drop Djeko in this particular match, I think you have to trust him.

Formations are telephone numbers I agree but that doesn't mean playing Milner wouldn't be a smart move, it really makes too much sense not to do it.

Anyway I said tiki-taka in reference to our inclination of controlling the game, which doesn't make our possession futile: moving the defence, building the offense and scoring are still our main goals. We don't look in the mirror just to see how splendid we are, which why Guardiola was often criticized, we are aware we're not that good, we're still humble.

The fact that Serie A is shite doesn't make Everton or Shalke better, plus they are not as commanding in their style of playing. Like the other Roma's fan said rightly "we won't be parking the bus", not a chance, this is probably the only thing I know.

You're being disrespectful to us or maybe just arrogant, treating us like we're a team with a bunch of adrift youngsters , we're not, we've got a great melting pot of youngsters with potential and veterans.

We are untested, you're right but when the quality is there you just need to show it, experience won't be much of an issue. Anyway Maicon, Keita (x2) and Cole, won the trophy and Pjanic reached the semi scoring the equalizer at Bernabeu when he was 19yo. Totti, De Rossi, Torosids, Holebas, Manolas, De Santis, Gervinho, all have CL's matched under their belt, you're talking like they have no clue of European football whatsoever.

Stootman, ok he's injured, wasn't made Holland captain at the age of 22, despite the presence of players like Robben, Snejder and Van Persie, by chance, which is basically the equivalent of "Rome wasn't build in day", great song btw, and as far as I'm concerned he joined Roma not Everton or Schalke, despite being after him, that may address your questioning related to "who's better" towards us. I could also say that Baines and possibly Lukaku, I'm not even sure, would be the only 2 starting for us and that their best defender, Jagielka, would be like the 4th or 5th of our rotation.

We need testing, I get it, give us a bit of time.

I was just politely pointing out our weknesses and strenghts, there's no need to be a prick, I'm not a rag, I hate them too.

Returning to the topic, I've just heard De Sanctis, our starting goalie, likely won't be playing, a major blow this is. His replacement, SKorupski, is seriously inexperienced and untested at any level, which would also be his seasonal debut. His phisicality is imposing but he's not as commanding, he doesn't instill confidence to the department like De Sanctis is used to. I'm a bit worried, it doesn't look good.

P.s. Implying that the possibility of easily scoring 5 goals is up to the crowd's involvement is just priceless.

oh dear.

you are not scaring me one bit with these names.

roma don't scare me .. nice little team to watch but they are not on our level.

Bolo1982 said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Roma? Do me a favour.

The above comment was made by an ignoramus. You're in for a big effing surprise. I have been closely following City and Roma for the last couple of seasons and trust me, if City do get a result it will not be a walk in the park. I however feel that City aren't quite ready to express themselves in Europe and therefore I favour Roma to get a result on Tuesday (particularly if City play two up front).

Nothing wrong with playing two upfront, it is good for the pressing game and it is much easier to score when you have to two strikers upfront.

There's a very fine line between confidence and arrogance, some of you haven't so much as stepped over it you've obliterated it!!
This is City, new or old we are still capable of shooting ourselves in both feet.
I think we'll win, but I can't see it being as clear cut as some think.

Loukas said:
I reckon Roma will surprise a lot of people on this forum. They finished second in the league last season playing very 'entertaining' football. They're a team like Napoli were when they came who can definitely outsmart us tactically, and if they do that, then fair play to them getting through in this group.

The main thing to consider though, is there team came second in Serie A, which without trying to sound arrogant, isn't a very strong league anymore. We won the premiership, where a team like United who got too the 1/4 final of the CL finished 7th!

We should win the game, and hopefully by a few goals, because the away leg will be very difficult!

Juventus won the league last season. I've watched Juventus struggle against Benfica in the Europa League.

Honestly, Juventus and Roma are on the level of Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle, et al. There's no reason why we cannot win .. if we lose it is because of complacency and we've shown alot of complacency in recent years.

Scareye said:
There's a very fine line between confidence and arrogance, some of you haven't so much as stepped over it you've obliterated it!!
This is City, new or old we are still capable of shooting ourselves in both feet.
I think we'll win, but I can't see it being as clear cut as some think.

Exactly. There seems to be a fair bit of arrogance prevalent in this thread which is bizarre when you consider that we haven't exactly set the world alight in the Champions League over the last 3 seasons, and I for one won't be under-estimating Roma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.