City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

It's a cumulative thing too, you can't just blow 400m in one season and expect to win, you generally have to pump money in over a number of seasons, and even then, just spending as much as Liverpool / United only gives you an outside chance. To have any genuine confidence, you have to outspend them considerably, which is probably why very few even try.

It's just not financially viable to blow hundreds of millions on players to win the league if you're hoping to actually turn a profit in the process. You simply won't manage it. It's better to spend a modest amount (enough to stay in the PL). If you don't necessarily have to make a profit (like us) and you've money to burn, then like us, you can do it. We've been fortunate enough to tackle the problem on two fronts though - by spending a fortune on players AND on infrastructure to support us in the longer term. Hardly any other clubs can do that with the same gusto as us.

104839-what-the-fuck-gif-imgur-wtf-0YCm.gif

It's true!
If you absolutely need to make a profit, then attempting to win the PL with a huge spend is madness, you'd be better doing what Mike Ashley does (much to the chagrin of fans).

We aren't typical, and nor is our funding. Some clubs can afford to blow a wad on players, or others might choose to spend it on infrastructure, but hardly any can do both at the same time. Aiming to be profitable is not the same as absolutely needing to be as it is with Arsenal, Liverpool and United. They have owners expecting financial returns, our owner gets a different form of return.

If you spend ONLY on players, then you'll get a quick shot in the arm, but 3-4 years down the line, you have to spend all over again just to stay in position.
If you spend ONLY on infrastructure, then you'll end up like Arsenal, treading water whilst you're paying off the stadium / facilities (or worse still, slipping backwards).

We've been able to blow a wad on players to give us the shot in the arm we needed urgently (thanks to the FFP drawbridge), but at the same time grown the business / infrastructure too, so our next round of spending starts to be funded by the growth and not out of the owners pocket. Perhaps not completely funded (yet) but certainly we're not starting at zero as we did when the Sheik took over.

Last edited:
One of the chief delights in being able to compete financially with the likes of Arsenal, the rags and Liverpool is watching their incandescent rage. I think much of it is to do with our proving that their historic success isn't down to brilliant management or player husbandry but purely down to money.

No wonder they and the media are implacably hostile. We have shown them for what they are. No more special than any other club and it is hurting badly.

You still hear them struggling to comprehend how we, and certainly Chelsea before us can grow. They think it's some mirage, when in truth it's just employing more (and better) people to turn a normal football club (fairly amateurish business) into a much more professional one. Of course you need success on the pitch too, but if you get both in tandem, you'll grow. All we needed was the cash to do it (and the right acumen at the top).

I still hear 'How can Chelsea be bigger than Arsenal?' - because they've worked at it - primarily because they HAD to. Meanwhile, stalwarts like Liverpool and Arsenal, and United for that matter have rested on their laurels (comparatively). Now City are doing the same as Chelsea, only bigger and better still. The only caveat being that Chelsea had a free run at things, whilst we have them to compete with, and FFP as an obstacle to boot.

If we'd only spent our money on players, we'd still have done well, I'm sure, but we'd be going cap in hand back to the Sheik for another load to refresh our squad - and that's not sustainable. Thankfully, the business has grown too and we're generating comparable or even better revenues than our rivals now, so can afford to pay for things from our own pockets.

We still might get another huge injection, but it won't be to cover losses, it'll be to grow to a new level once more, then our revenues will follow suit 3-5 years afterwards.

It's true!
If you absolutely need to make a profit, then attempting to win the PL with a huge spend is madness, you'd be better doing what Mike Ashley does (much to the chagrin of fans).

We aren't typical, and nor is our funding. Some clubs can afford to blow a wad on players, or others might choose to spend it on infrastructure, but hardly any can do both at the same time. Aiming to be profitable is not the same as absolutely needing to be as it is with Arsenal, Liverpool and United. They have owners expecting financial returns, our owner gets a different form of return.

If you spend ONLY on players, then you'll get a quick shot in the arm, but 3-4 years down the line, you have to spend all over again just to stay in position.
If you spend ONLY on infrastructure, then you'll end up like Arsenal, treading water whilst you're paying off the stadium / facilities (or worse still, slipping backwards).

We've been able to blow a wad on players to give us the shot in the arm we needed urgently (thanks to the FFP drawbridge), but at the same time grown the business / infrastructure too, so our next round of spending starts to be funded by the growth and not out of the owners pocket. Perhaps not completely funded (yet) but certainly we're not starting at zero as we did when the Sheik took over.

Oh, you was talking past not present I get you now..
speculate to accumulate I think it's called not money to burn that infers you will not see a return on your money spent and dont give a f##k..

Well, the money to burn comment was about another club who wanted to have a shot at winning the PL by spending big. They could do it, but it wouldn't last. Newcastle and Villa tried it (failed), Blackburn did it and succeeded for a short time, even Fulham improved their status via some heavy spending, but it all faded to nothing (imo) because it wasn't backup up by growth off the pitch. One assumes because most of them only had enough money to spend on the one aspect (players). That's where City and Chelsea before us are markedly different to other 'flash in the pan / money to burn' title attempts.

Well, the money to burn comment was about another club who wanted to have a shot at winning the PL by spending big. They could do it, but it wouldn't last. Newcastle and Villa tried it (failed), Blackburn did it and succeeded for a short time, even Fulham improved their status via some heavy spending, but it all faded to nothing (imo) because it wasn't backup up by growth off the pitch. One assumes because most of them only had enough money to spend on the one aspect (players). That's where City and Chelsea before us are markedly different to other 'flash in the pan / money to burn' title attempts.

Didn't sound that way to me...

If you don't necessarily have to make a profit (like us) and you've money to burn, then like us, you can do it.

Aye, but I didn't say money to burn like us, I said money to burn (comma) then like us, you can do it.
In my mind, that's why I said 'don't have to make a profit (like us), but didn't do so on the money to burn aspect.
Crossed wires I think.

@dasblues how about 92-03 then -

Club - Total Gross Spend 92/03

Manchester United - £165,900,000.00
Liverpool - £159,125,000.00
Arsenal - £140,890,000.00
Chelsea - £136,940,000.00

Manchester City - £97,960,000.00

What a surprise who the top 3 clubs are.
Mods please put in appropriate forum

Ask any Huddersfield fan about Arsenal. When Huddersfield last won the League( approx. 1930ish) their manager was HERBERT CHAPMAN. Arsenal made him an offer he couldn't refuse ( read poached ) and he went to Arsenal.
Once installed he then poached most of the Huddersfield Town league winning players !!!
I have not checked on The Huddersfield Examiner of the time, but my Dad mentioned it at least every week until he died.

Mods please put in appropriate forum

Ask any Huddersfield fan about Arsenal. When Huddersfield last won the League( approx. 1930ish) their manager was HERBERT CHAPMAN. Arsenal made him an offer he couldn't refuse ( read poached ) and he went to Arsenal.
Once installed he then poached most of the Huddersfield Town league winning players !!!
I have not checked on The Huddersfield Examiner of the time, but my Dad mentioned it at least every week until he died.
Huddersfield didnt only win the league they won it three seasons on the trot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.