Michael Johnson - would he have been better than Paul Lake?

Mental weakness isn't the same as mental illness, something both were treated for.

Probably the two best players our academy has ever produced, and both sadly had their careers destroyed. Lake's all too short career is righty mourned, but Johnson widely goes under the radar and I think that's a shame.

For me, the short Eriksson era was a brilliant one; he gave Hart his first run in the team, Richards was an animal at the back, Ireland's dodgy wig and habit of dropping his shorts to reveal his Superman underpants was a constant source of entertainment. Elano playing rightback, Corluka in midfield, Hamann bossing games at walking pace, winning two derbies. It was fantastic time, despite the awful kits and the Bond villain owner.

But the main highlight was Michael Johnson, in his first full season; he fit in seamlessly between Hamann and Elano, gliding around the pitch, passing well and scoring a couple of goals from midfield that Yaya would be proud of, but in a more elegant manner.

He'd have no issues whatsoever fitting into our current team with the likes of Silva and Aguero; Lampard and Gerrard were superb professionals and as a result were able to establish themselves as two of the best midfielders in the world, but Johnson had more natural ability than both, and could have eclipsed their achievements both at club and International level.

Hopefully it isn't too long before our academy produces another local lad with a similar talent.

Good post that. Echo the sentiment.

A real shame what happened to Johno, it's a travesty to know that such a talent went unfulfilled.

He looks like hes got his head screwed back on,i saw him out and about recently,he looked fit and happy.

wonder what paul lake would be worth in todays transfer market??, jonno was quality but lakey was differnet gravy, like someone posted earlier, lake would have ended up at liverpool i guess but certainly captain of england, of that im 100% convinced

Happy memories of him and elano in the middle. Gutted it didn't work out, hope has a good life with no regrets

Happy memories of him and elano in the middle. Gutted it didn't work out, hope has a good life with no regrets
memories of him and Elano make me smile.
i also would have liked to see Lake play with Elano.what a central midfield that wouldhave been.

He's a fooking real estate agent now
I know he was desperate to get back in the green

But fook all real estate people in the world, regardless of ethnicity

That's an angry response.

Personally, I wish him well, as I do all people in this world, but what has he done to annoy you so much?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.