1985/86 - 30th anniversary of FA Youth Cup Win today!

Mad Eyed Screamer

This season is the 30th anniversary of City's Youth Team winning the FA Youth Cup for the first time.
I aim via this thread to re-create the season, game by game on the exact date of each of the FA Youth Cup games (and not forgetting the record breaking score in the Lancashire Youth Cup too!)

The team won the Lancashire A team League, losing only once and winning every other game. They won the FA Youth Cup and due to a fixture pile up didn't not complete the Lancashire Youth Cup (which had City won in each of the 4 previous seasons)

This thread is dedicated to:
Steve Crompton, Steve Mills, Andy Hinchcliffe, Ian Brightwell, Steve Redmond, Andy Thackeray, David White, Paul Moulden, Paul Lake, David Boyd, John Clarke, Steve Macauley, John Bookbinder and of course Tony Book & Glyn Pardoe who managed the boys.

Last edited:
OK......... Not the FA Youth Cup - but an important game in City's history - 30 years today...... with a record result that still remains today......

1985/86 Lancashire FA Youth Cup

City had won the Lancashire Youth Cup for the previous four years and set out for a fifth consecutive victory.

17th October 1985. This is the first time that the classic line up that would win the FA Youth Cup would start together - in an away game against Oldham Athletic that resulted in the Latics being soundly thrashed 12-0 (Lake 3, Boyd 2, Scott 2, Moulden 2, White 2 and Thackeray).

Match report from a City programme

City team: Steve Crompton, Steve Mills, Andy Hinchcliffe, Ian Brightwell, Steve Redmond, Andy Thackeray, David White, Paul Moulden, Paul Lake, Ian Scott, David Boyd. Subs: John Clarke (Thackeray) John Bookbinder (White)

The young Blues have been record breaking again! The remarkable romp at Oldham last week in the Lancashire Youth Cup second round tie produced a record score for a City youth team - and it's under 12 months ago that the milestone was set.

Eight of the youth team that hammered Billingham to a 10-1 defeat in the FA Youth Cup in December last year - which was a history making score - were again in action in the rout of Oldham.

But the feature of this stunning success was the even spread of scoring glory, proving that the blend and balance in the youth ranks is looking good and effective in every area.

The two wingers scored a pair each, David White, a torment to Oldham down the right flank, scored his couple in the 26th and 63rd minutes. While his winger partner, David Boyd, proved just as deadly and netted his pair in the 15th and 60th minutes.

The two inside forwards (remember the days of those fetch-and-carry experts?) were also on target. Paul Moulden scored in the 53rd and 70th minutes and his midfield partner Ian Scott pounced in the 18th and 77th mins.

The centre forward was also among the glory - and had the extra goal bonus you'd expect from the main striker. Paul Lake's hat trick was exploded in the 36th, 42nd and 57th mins, fine examples of finishing.

And supporting all this scoring effort from midfield was a 35th min goal from Andy Thackeray.

It was an excellent start for the City youngsters on the trail of the club's fifth successive Lancashire Youth Cup triumph. It augurs well for the FA Youth Cup campaign ahead.

The Blues were vastly superior, though it must be recognised that Latics did have an inexperienced side with several schoolboy recruits and also had the misery of losing 15 year old Adams in the 15th minute with a double fracture of the leg.

City star DAVID WHITE

For the record, prior to this record breaking 12-0 victory, the previous highest score by City in a Youth Cup competition was the aforementioned 10-1 win at Billingham the previous season - which equalled the highest score by a City youth team in all competitive games when City beat Bolton Wanderers 10-1 on 13th August 1969 in the Lancashire League 'B' Division. Before that, the highest Cup score had remained in place for thirty-two years, when City beat Yorkshire Amateurs at home 8-0 in the FA Youth Cup on 29th October 1953.

One of the team recalls the game with a plausible theory behind the sizable win.

Steve Mills: ''The thing that sticks out the most was their centre half breaking his leg badly in a tackle with Steve Redmond early in the match. It was one of those bones through the skin breaks. Awful. Maybe they didn't fancy it much after that, which may have contributed to the result.''

One very impressed onlooker that Thursday night - and probably more qualified to comment than anyone else - was Ian Niven, a City director and Director of the Youth Development Programme. Since 1966, Niven had missed very few youth team games. In a City programme in early 1986, Niven described the game against Oldham Athletic as his best ever youth team performance.

''It was 12-0 at Oldham, in the Lancashire FA Youth Cup, which people may think was too one-sided to be of interest. But on that night in Oldham, I saw a de-luxe football, all that I consider youth football to be about. Our lads were incredible, great stuff to watch. It is why I believe we could win the FA Youth Cup this season.''

Niven went on to compare the current crop of young players with those of the past.

''This is the best squad. I would class the squad of 1967-68 as the closest in quality - from that squad we had players like Tony Towers and Derek Jeffries, who made the first team at an early age.''

On my facebook page dedicated to the 1986 FA Youth Cup winning team, you can follow the team and players game by game ('A' team, reserves, 1st team and Internationals) recreating the 85/86 season
https://www.facebook.com/Teenage-Ki...ys-FA-Youth-cup-Winning-Team-128393937345665/

Last edited:
5th November 1985
FA Youth Cup 1st Round. Tranmere Rovers 1 Manchester City 7

Scorers - White (2), Redmond, Scott, Boyd, Moulden, Lake

City: Crompton, Mills, Hinchcliffe, Brightwell, Redmond, Thackeray, White, Moulden, Lake, Scott, (Clarke) Boyd.

WHITE LIGHTENING!

The young Blues roared off on the FA Youth Cup trail again through a sparkling 7-goal success at Tranmere with one of the many highlights being the inspirational way that David White celebrated his acceptance of full time pro' terms the previous day following his 18th birthday.

White scored twice, laid on two more and generally waltzed his way at will down the wing to the constant consternation of the home team’s defence. It was the 6th minute opening goal from White which probably deserves the tag as best-of-the-match, too - he scored it on the angle just outside the 6 yard area after Ian Scott crossed to the far post for him to control and then hit it home.

The swirly wind made conditions difficult but once City got the ball tamed and played the game to feet it was clear the way the story would unfold.

It was 2-0 in the 23rd minute when Steve Redmond headed in a corner from David Boyd.

And then Scott followed up 9 minutes later when he rounded off a move from White and Paul Moulden. Scott unfortunately failed to complete the game because of a knee injury which had at first threatened his place in the side.

By the interval it was 4-0, White getting the next in the 35th minute courtesy of Moulden's work. The threat from White completely unhinged Tranmere and the leggy youngster could have easily ended with a bigger personal haul and certainly proved the provider on many other occasions.

It was 5-0 from Boyd in the 54th minute, the set up coming from the deadly combination of White and Moulden. Two minutes later, Moulden - fresh from his first team debut the previous night - got his just rewards as that-man-again White laid it on.

Tranmere's retort came from Flanagan in the 75th minute, but they rarely had a serious look-in and in defence City had a fine performance from Steve Mills to ensure they were mostly secure.

Another accurate cross from White completed the story, this time Paul Lake converting the opportunity. That goal came 3 minutes from time...and was the 19th scored in two cup games by the young Blues this season.

It augurs well for the future as the youngsters now storm onto the next rounds of the Lancashire FA Youth Cup and the FA Youth Cup.

City Star: DAVID WHITE

The Star man gives an insight into the managerial support the young blues were receiving at the time.

David White: ''I remember my second goal at Tranmere which I absolutely hammered and Billy McNeill telling me that if the net had not been there it would still be travelling now! The first team manager saying anything positive about you was an incredible boost. I can recall McNeill coming to most, if not every youth team game, and whilst his presence put on extra pressure it was great when you did well. He had no issues with coming in at half time to give out a bollocking or two and Skip would have no issue with it either. But McNeill was also more than happy to come down and congratulate you when you had done well.''

On my facebook page dedicated to the 1986 FA Youth Cup winning team, you can follow the team and players game by game ('A' team, reserves, 1st team and Internationals) recreating the 85/86 season
https://www.facebook.com/Teenage-Ki...ys-FA-Youth-cup-Winning-Team-128393937345665/

I love that team... :)

Now if only someone would do a book about them.. ;)

Or maybe the BBC should do a class of 86 special... Can't think why they haven't, perhaps they had other items on their agenda about classes... /rollseyes

PS nice thread.

Club Merchandise have been in touch with me and they have produced the mug (below) in celebration of the 1986 FA Youth Cup win.
Proceeds from the mug goes to support charities working with children with autism.
The mug is just £6.50 and includes free (UK) delivery!!!!!! For further details contact -
http://www.clubmerchandise.org/mcfc-1986-fa-youth-cup-winn…/

12239604_475120132673042_1487159961965079468_n.jpg

Last edited:
30 years ago...... one that got away?????

23rd November 1985
City 'A' 6 Stockport County reserves 2 (Baker 2, Brightwell, White, 2, Boyd)
Team: Crompton, Mills, Coleman, Barrett, Brightwell, Baker, White, Moulden, Lake, Thackeray, Boyd. Subs: Macauley (Coleman) Clarke (Lake)

An interesting side note in this line up as 15 year old Chris Coleman makes a first appearance for the A team. It would be his only appearance this season.... the following season having left school and signing YTS forms for City, Coleman moved from his home town of Swansea to Maine Road and made 12 A team appearances and 1 reserve team start and 4 as sub. He then left the club due to homesickness - earning the nickname ''Lord Lucan''.
Goalkeeper Steve Crompton commented ''I thought he was doing OK, but then one day he just disappeared and we never saw him again''.
In his autobiography, Paul Lake talks about Tony Book's disciplinarian approach and how not all of the lads were suited to this style - Coleman being a prime example. ''He didn't cope well with Skip's ruthlessness and took many of his criticisms to heart''.

Coleman returned to Swansea, signed for his hometown club, before enjoying a good career with Crystal Palace, Blackburn and Fulham and a managerial career that currently has him as the boss of Wales, successfully guiding the Welsh national side to their first international tournament since 1958!

Last edited:
30 years ago...... one that got away?????

23rd November 1985
City 'A' 6 Stockport County reserves 2 (Baker 2, Brightwell, White, 2, Boyd)
Team: Crompton, Mills, Coleman, Barrett, Brightwell, Baker, White, Moulden, Lake, Thackeray, Boyd. Subs: Macauley (Coleman) Clarke (Lake)

An interesting side note in this line up as 15 year old Chris Coleman makes a first appearance for the A team. It would be his only appearance this season.... the following season having left school and signing YTS forms for City, Coleman moved from his home town of Swansea to Maine Road and made 12 A team appearances and 1 reserve team start and 4 as sub. He then left the club due to homesickness - earning the nickname ''Lord Lucan''.
Goalkeeper Steve Crompton commented ''I thought he was doing OK, but then one day he just disappeared and we never saw him again''.
In his autobiography, Paul Lake talks about Tony Book's disciplinarian approach and how not all of the lads were suited to this style - Coleman being a prime example. ''He didn't cope well with Skip's ruthlessness and took many of his criticisms to heart''.

Coleman returned to Swansea, signed for his hometown club, before enjoying a good career with Crystal Palace, Blackburn and Fulham and a managerial career that currently has him as the boss of Wales, successfully guiding the Welsh national side to their first international tournament since 1958! As well as being balls deep in former Sky Sports News Anchor Charlotte Jackson it's been a truly great year for him

Small edit

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.