Correcting An Obvious Mistake

at risk of repeating what i advocated a few months back (when we'd probably been done again), i suggested when a referee thinks that a foul has been committed in the area, or indeed thinks that a foul may have been committed in the area, he blows for a "conditional penalty",that decision is then reviewed, and i honestly couldn't care less, whether it is by the referee alone, the ref and the 4th official, or a video official / panel in the stands, or a combination of the above.

Having reviewed the decision the game re-starts from the penalty spot, with either a penalty kick or a free kick to the defending side. Hopefully this safety net approach would give courage to the likes of Roger East (who unless he is bent, was presumably too scared of making a mistake and potentially give City the game) and he should have no qualms about awarding a "conditional penalty" knowing full well that he/ others will check the award, before it is taken.He may well, also have given a 'conditional' for the challenge on Sergio, and indeed Everton may have had a claim for one, however on review we certainly would have had at least one penalty. I am not suggesting this is a perfect solution, but it has to be an big improvement!!

Equally the joke penalty that a presumably good intentioned newbie referee awarded to Swansea the other night, would still have been whistled as a "conditional penalty" but once reviewed could not fail to be rescinded, and the game would have re-started with a free kick to Sunderland.

I honestly can't see any downside to this proposal
and the Aguerrrrooooooo moment may not of happened if ref had blown for conditional penalty and QPR could have ended up with a free kick

Have 2 X 30min halves of play where the clock stops ticking when the ball goes out of play, for injuries and for video ref calls. That would stop all time wasting and rolling about on the floor like a dying fly. Video ref should be used for red cards, all penalty shouts, disallowed goals etc.

The ball in actual play figures for a match are awful. Fans are being cheated by paying more money for less and less football these days. At least with 2 X 30 you're guaranteed an hour of entertainment.

I don't think they need to go to the extent of stopping the clock every time the ball goes out of play. Just adopt the system they use in RL where the ref raises his hands to stop the clock if a delay is excessive. I definitely like the idea of match clocks, ends "Fergie time" and adds excitement when the clocking is ticking down at the end of a game.

at risk of repeating what i advocated a few months back (when we'd probably been done again), i suggested when a referee thinks that a foul has been committed in the area, or indeed thinks that a foul may have been committed in the area, he blows for a "conditional penalty",that decision is then reviewed, and i honestly couldn't care less, whether it is by the referee alone, the ref and the 4th official, or a video official / panel in the stands, or a combination of the above.

Having reviewed the decision the game re-starts from the penalty spot, with either a penalty kick or a free kick to the defending side. Hopefully this safety net approach would give courage to the likes of Roger East (who unless he is bent, was presumably too scared of making a mistake and potentially give City the game) and he should have no qualms about awarding a "conditional penalty" knowing full well that he/ others will check the award, before it is taken.He may well, also have given a 'conditional' for the challenge on Sergio, and indeed Everton may have had a claim for one, however on review we certainly would have had at least one penalty. I am not suggesting this is a perfect solution, but it has to be an big improvement!!

Equally the joke penalty that a presumably good intentioned newbie referee awarded to Swansea the other night, would still have been whistled as a "conditional penalty" but once reviewed could not fail to be rescinded, and the game would have re-started with a free kick to Sunderland.

The downside is that they would be doing it 10 times per game. Once refs have this option they will be terrified of the criticism they would receive if they didn't use it. They would become ultra cautious, since they've more to lose by not using it when they should, than using it excessively.

They should also have the referees and linos "miked up" so you can hear the abuse they have to put up with. I hate the media glossing over this, using the term "industrial language" instead of what it is, namely, a foul-mouthed rant. If you or I were to use this to someone in authority at your place of work, there would probably be grounds for a P45 to be dished out on the grounds of gross misconduct. Obviously, I am not naming individuals, but a player who told Graham Poll to "fuck off" 21 times in a match and get away with it springs immediately to mind.

I don't think they need to go to the extent of stopping the clock every time the ball goes out of play. Just adopt the system they use in RL where the ref raises his hands to stop the clock if a delay is excessive. I definitely like the idea of match clocks, ends "Fergie time" and adds excitement when the clocking is ticking down at the end of a game.

I think we should have an additional clock that only records 'ball in play time'. At least we would see how much time we are robbed from the 90mins! I bet it doesn't come much over 60 mins, and when Schwarzer and his ilk are in goal, it might well be much less!

I actually don't think we should introduce video technology, in my opinion it has to be the referee who makes the decision on the pitch.
That's what gives football its beauty. It doesn't matter that sometimes they make mistakes – it's all part of a beautiful game.
These things should always be decisions for referees to make, even when they don't get it right.

I actually don't think we should introduce video technology, in my opinion it has to be the referee who makes the decision on the pitch.
That's what gives football its beauty. It doesn't matter that sometimes they make mistakes – it's all part of a beautiful game.
These things should always be decisions for referees to make, even when they don't get it right.
Referees/umpires, etc, make decisions in most sports. The fact that their decisions can be challenged, and in many cases, overturned, means that they DO get it wrong occasionally.
What you seem to be advocating is that, rightly or wrongly, the referee in this "beautiful game" is the sole arbiter. If that was to be the case, we might as well scrap all the review panels we have for such things as sendings off, mistaken identity, et al, as the referee made his decision on the pitch, AND THAT DECISION IS FINAL. It's a scary road to go down, though.
With the standard of referee we seem to get week in, week out, I, and many others, will quickly fall out of love with football if that is the way forward.
I take it that you are merely continuing your devil's advocate position on this point, as you do in the "media bias" thread. If so, it IS an alternative point of view and it is certainly thought provoking. If you are serious, then I really question your judgement, bearing in mind what we have witnessed in the past few weeks from"incompetent" (and I'm being nice there) officials.

What if the ref 'genuinely'(ha ha) thought it was not a foul and thus did not award a 'conditional pen'?

Some sort of review system should be implicated IMO. Too many poor decisions directly affecting matches. Leicester & Everton penalty decisions have arguably (if we scored) cost us 4 points which puts us from 3rd to 1st if given - seems a no brainer to get something sorted given the standard of refereeing these past few seasons.

I can cope with slime balls. Rigger East is something else. That weasel face at the end when Yaya was seeking out an explanation as to why the most stonewall pen of the night was not given tells you everything. Bumptious, officious, smug, and ever-so wrong. Has anyone any doubt he wouldn't have given a direct free kick in the centre circle for that tackle? The application of different criteria in and beyond the penalty area is something that is outside the scope of the Laws of the Game. The man is dishonest. I have seen scores of identical 'tackles', I use the word lightly here, within the penalty area where referees have pointed immediately to the spot. No waiting for a mental re-run to accommodate this notion of 'being 100% sure' - penalty straight off. And I suspect had he been refereeing The Arse, The Dippers, or MANUre he would not have applied the fictitious idea of 100%.

I just wonder whether, IN MY LIFETIME, I am gonna see a game of football where the governing bodies make efforts to deliver a result which reflects what actually happened on the pitch! Apart from pauper sports that have little money, football, among the universal games, is unique in relying on one person in the twinkle of an eye to make a decision that so often is plainly wrong!

I can cope, along with the overwhelming majority of City fans, with losing a game where the action reflects the result, but we are getting shafted week in and week out by lily-livered, dissembling, bumbling oafs who waltz around a football pitch carrying a whistle.
That 'decision' on Wednesday had the 'there's absolutely no way I'm giving them a penalty with 10 seconds of injury time left'. Total shithouse. It had nothing to do with incompetence. That man should not be allowed anywhere near our ground or team again. I just wonder what would have happened if that had been at our end....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.