Joe Hart (joined Torino on season long loan - Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those that are criticising his distribution, have you ever compare him to other Prem keepers? It's interesting looking at the passing stats, as Joe is really no worse than anyone else in the league especially when you consider he lacks a target man to aim for on kick outs.

I agree with the point about our players moving into space to give him decent options, it's a two way thing. Same thing applies on corners, the kick taker always gets the criticism which ignores the lack of movement in the box and it also happens with wide players getting criticism for delivery when they've no one to deliver to in the box.

Have you got the stats for the top 6 keepers???

The problem is the game is evolving and joe isn't moving with it (at the moment), his distribution may not be that bad in comparable terms, however, in the system Pep will insist on, it will be exposed 10 fold unless he books his ideas up.... I also agree with Neville on this, it's more down to balls and not panicking!!!

Only Keeper I would consider replacing him with is Neuer. Joe is top class I'm sure his distribution will Improve next year!

You've not watched him as closely as you should then. Watch these highlights of him. Time and time again he gets the ball and dwells on it too long as England defenders who were once in space get closed down. He also picks the poor option when passing which then puts his defence under pressure - he does this by either not putting enough pace on the ball or choosing to pass to the man with no subsequent option. You can blame the movement of the England midfield for this to some extent, but you can see quite clearly from this video how many times Hart keeps the ball for too long whilst Cahill in particular is sprinting wide to pick the ball up to feet (and he is in enough space to turn and play it out). England tactically had been instructed to do that and pass it out from the back - that was clear. Especially with Stones on the pitch who is excellent on the ball and at passing. Cahill is good enough as well to pass it forwards so I disagree with you saying Rose is the only one good enough in possession, in fact he's probably the worst of the back 4 England picked.

If you still sympathise with Hart and blame others, watch Valdes or Neuer and see how good they are with the ball, and how often they pass to a player under far more pressure than the England defence were on Sunday. They play accurate and well weighted passes and then offer themselves for the return ball if required. Hart isn't comfortable doing that and it shows. Some people might not like to hear it, but he's in trouble now Pep's come to the club unless we see an improvement with his footballing skills.

You think those players wouldn't have been closed down by the time the ball got to them? Wow! You think England defenders are far far better than they are. Also note the total lack of movement by other England players when a defender is given the ball.
Oranges being compared with Apples again.

Oh dear that was fairly crap, satellite delay in his decision making, needs a 4g sim not 2g. I blame Manuel's keeper coach around at least one of his flaws, punching like a girl when its easier to catch the bloody thing.

The problem is the game is evolving and joe isn't moving with it (at the moment), his distribution may not be that bad in comparable terms, however, in the system Pep will insist on, it will be exposed 10 fold unless he books his ideas up.... I also agree with Neville on this, it's more down to balls and not panicking!!!

I had a quick look at Whoscored for passing accuracy in PL:

Hart 52.6%

De Gea 56.9%

Cech 59%

Courtois 48.2%

Lloris 63.8%

I agree as well - it's composure on the ball he lacks more than anything. Neuer is outrageously composed on the ball and I think his passing stats are around the 80% mark just to throw in Pep's level of expectation. You'd expect Joe to have a completion rate above 50% as most passes will be 5 yards to feet, it's the passes when under pressure he struggles with - in professional football you're likely to have someone closing you down and you've got to be confident to play a pass to feet, that's where he struggles and instead he dwells on the ball before launching it long, which doesn't work with City considering the height of our "target man".

I agree as well - it's composure on the ball he lacks more than anything. Neuer is outrageously composed on the ball and I think his passing stats are around the 80% mark just to throw in Pep's level of expectation. You'd expect Joe to have a completion rate above 50% as most passes will be 5 yards to feet, it's the passes when under pressure he struggles with - in professional football you're likely to have someone closing you down and you've got to be confident to play a pass to feet, that's where he struggles and instead he dwells on the ball before launching it long, which doesn't work with City considering the height of our "target man".

Have a look at how much Neuer's passing % improved under Pep.

I'm not saying Hart will make the same improvement but for me this shows how the system used also plays a part in how good the keeper's passing is

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13754/History/Manuel-Neuer

You think those players wouldn't have been closed down by the time the ball got to them? Wow! You think England defenders are far far better than they are. Also note the total lack of movement by other England players when a defender is given the ball.
Oranges being compared with Apples again.

They wouldn't be closed down to the extent they couldn't play another pass and you're dismissing this English defence far too much. They might be shite at defending but they're not awful on the ball, certainly not bad enough to struggle playing a pass 10-15 yards. You need to take your Hart tinted specs off pal - that video quite clearly shows Hart lingering on the ball and lacking composure to play the ball quickly to feet. Cahill time and time again is in acres of space but Hart delays and delays and then the option is gone. He also delays for another pass to Walker before finally giving him the ball when the player is right on him. Have you ever played 5 aside football? The key is to play the ball with enough power that it arrives quickly to the man you're giving it to. Hart doesn't have enough composure at the moment, he receives the ball and despite numerous options he delays the pass and then doesn't pass it with enough weight or sense to allow his team mate to find an option themselves. Just take some time to watch the keepers Pep has worked with. I rate Hart highly as a goalkeeper and personally his ability to prevent a goal is the most important thing, but Pep will want so much more and if he watched that game against Turkey I can assure you he would expect Joe to do ten times better.

Hart will also need to get working on his throwing arm, Neuer launches it miles when he collects the ball. I think we'll see Joe have to change a lot of his game next season - catching rather than punching the ball so he can collect it and launch it forward to our wingers to start an attack.

Have a look at how much Neuer's passing % improved under Pep.

I'm not saying Hart will make the same improvement but for me this shows how the system used also plays a part in how good the keeper's passing is

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13754/History/Manuel-Neuer

Yeah 100% agree, I'm not saying Hart out - I rate him highly. He does the job he is told to by making saves! Pep will expand that job and Hart will need to improve aspects of his game. I'm concerned he'll struggle to show the composure on the ball Neuer does but as Neville said earlier, he's a professional footballer so he shouldn't. It probably only takes him getting involved in the keep ball circles each day and he'll be fine. I just watched the England game on Sunday and was watching him through Pep's eyes and he didn't impress so there's work to be done. He's got the fight and determination to become the best in the world and I hope he does. He can go down as one of England's best ever keepers and I'd love him to stay at City for years to come.

I had a quick look at Whoscored for passing accuracy in PL:

Hart 52.6%

De Gea 56.9%

Cech 59%

Courtois 48.2%

Lloris 63.8%

Cheers man, interesting and kind of confirms where I though he was at..

Unfortunately, and I think this goes across the board, not just city fans, but we are unforgiving when it comes to mistakes, this heightens anxiety and thus composure makes 'said' player look like Michael J Fox. It's especially noticeable with English players... If there's anything that I've gaged from Pep with books and articles, it's that everything can and will be a clean slate if your buy into his philosophy.... Where he becomes irate is when the mistakes persist...

Joe isn't a dunce, he'll embrace it and he may or may not come up short, but as fans we should be prepared for mistakes, more frequent ones in Peps system, however, I'd hazard a guess that even with more frequent mistakes, his game and passing stats will improve, fans unfortunately are fickle and as we know can make and break players!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.