Dennis Tueart

hateutd

Team supported
Manchester City F.C. from Maine Road
zBeFltI.jpg

http://monumentcity2010.blogspot.gr/2016/03/200-wordsworth-11-dennis-tueart.html

My all-time footballing hero. Grew up with this man being our number 1. What a player. I was there in 1976 when he flipped that little beauty in the LC Final. Used the image of it on my degree thesis which was an appraisal of the economic realities of professional football. Then, years later met the man. I asked a favour of him. 'Would you please speak to my father if i got him on the 'phone?'. He took the 'phone and went into a corner and spoke to my dad for about 5 minutes. 'Dad', I got someone hear to speak to you called Dennis...Dennis Tueart'. Silence. When he passed me the 'phone back my dad was in tears. Great moment was this.

My favourite as a kid. Had the pleasure of meeting him some years ago. Wonderful player and a true gent.

My fav as a kid as well. I was there for that goal and his hat-trick and sending off as well

Like many others of my vintage my all time hero, such a tragedy when he got that bizarre injury in 1981-82 season, we were flying and he was lethal, 9 goals in 15 games or something - I'm convinced we would have challenged for the title that season had he stayed fit, never the same when he came back the next season for him or the rest of us in hindsight.

Boyhood favourite along with Barnes.
Such an exciting player.
That goal against utd at Maine Rd where he picks the ball up just inside the utd half puts his head down and just runs
past Houston and Buchan before smashing the ball into the Platt lane goal was brilliant.

Boyhood favourite along with Barnes.
Such an exciting player.
That goal against utd at Maine Rd where he picks the ball up just inside the utd half puts his head down and just runs
past Houston and Buchan before smashing the ball into the Platt lane goal was brilliant.

I think him leaving us to go to Cosmos basically sparked the end of our hopes to push on in the 70's and led to the decline under Big Mal and all that followed. It's a bit disappointing that in his autobiography he blames not being picked for this (MCFC stats showing he missed about 1 game) when obviously he did it for the cash and experience (which he shouldn't be blamed for but should be honest about.)
Was so excited when he returned in 1980. He had some moments after that but wasn't quite the same.
It seems his leaving meant we had to change our style so much it completely messed us up.

I think him leaving us to go to Cosmos basically sparked the end of our hopes to push on in the 70's and led to the decline under Big Mal and all that followed. It's a bit disappointing that in his autobiography he blames not being picked for this (MCFC stats showing he missed about 1 game) when obviously he did it for the cash and experience (which he shouldn't be blamed for but should be honest about.)
Was so excited when he returned in 1980. He had some moments after that but wasn't quite the same.
It seems his leaving meant we had to change our style so much it completely messed us up.

When he returned I was filled with hope..was a little confused why he left in the first place..was only young and couldn't understand why he would want to leave the first division for bloody New York Cosmos...and who were they anyway?? Understand it all now.

Will always remember watching him score 4 goals on Sports night v Notts County in the cup..Dave Bennett got the first before Tueart went goal crazy..all the papers next day had Dennis the Menace headlines...at least I think they did,lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.