Marc-Andre ter Stegen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been said by many, and I agree, that whilst Joe might develop more confidence on the ball his speed of thought might never get to where he needs to be to implement the style of play Pep wants to see. We will be able to see very quickly what happens in that regard. I noticed Pep clapping when Caballero tried to pass out under pressure, though it was an abysmal attempt. Clearly he's happier seeing the team play to his requirements even when everything in my head is screaming if in doubt kick it out!

That's the main reason I'm very nervous going into this season. I've not seen any improvement from Caballero in terms of ability to pass out under pressure. I've seen numerous mistakes from our defenders, though Otamendi and Stones should be more assured. I'd like to have seen more from Hart but trust that in training they'll be doing it day in day out under intense pressing from the players on the other team in the training scenario.

It's obvious to most of us that we need a keeper comfortable on the ball to give Hart real pressure to improve in that area and retain the no.1 spot. The club have known Pep was to arrive for a while but we've not done a huge amount for the right now in terms of keeper and defence. I get reasoning behind holding fire on midfield targets because waiting in the hope we can pursuade Kroos/Alcantara to sign will transform us significantly in comparison to buying what we can now and we'll still see a huge improvement in our midfield simply with the addition of Gundogan and Pep's tactics.

Defensively though, you can either play his system or you can't and at the moment I'm nervous about it going into our first game. If any other side watched the Arsenal game they'll see that it remains very easy to get at our defence and that through pressing us they'll create chances with ease. It might be a case that until we nail that we'll just have to score more than we concede which Pep has alluded to when talking about Stones (to some degree) - when he said he might make a mistake that leads to a couple of goals a season but through playing out from the back can start a move that leads to 8 or 9 goals...

Take onboard most of your post. I would argue though that our defence for the Arsenal game would not be a good measure to our capability in that area.

Point is he was naff on the ball before Barcelona and now he is decent due to practice etc in that role...Same could apply to Hart given the chance? Joe probably still has nightmares of Kolo and Nastasic whenever he's tried to play sweeper, but practice and familiarity in the role and he could do just fine. It's just that i'd rather Joe was given a chance than pay over £60mil for an overall inferior keeper.

He was naff on the ball before Barcelona?

Jesus Christ. That's just patently untrue, why do people come on here and just bullshit thinking it won't get picked up on?

He was seen as Neuer's heir before going to Barcelona, and thought of as better on the ball.

That's why Barcelona bought him FFS. If you feel the need to lie to make Hart improving on the ball more plausible then it shows how weak the argument is.

If Joe can't do it, & Pep knows he can't do it, then we'll see someone else in goal very soon.

If Joe gets the gig & remains there, it means that Pep thinks he is able to learn the skill required.

It doesn't mean he can lump it whenever he feels like it & if he does that, it's just a matter of time before he's out.

He was naff on the ball before Barcelona?

Jesus Christ. That's just patently untrue, why do people come on here and just bullshit thinking it won't get picked up on?

He was seen as Neuer's heir before going to Barcelona, and thought of as better on the ball.

That's why Barcelona bought him FFS. If you feel the need to lie to make Hart improving on the ball more plausible then it shows how weak the argument is.

My bad was just tarring him with the same brush as many of you are our own.....I mean he had similar kicking stats at BM as Joe did under Mancini and Joe is considered naff?

My bad was just tarring him with the same brush as many of you are our own.....I mean he had similar kicking stats at BM as Joe did under Mancini and Joe is considered naff?

Oh well you looked up his kicking stats? No wonder you spoke with such authority, You must be a real expert on him.

Gundogen was injured and we signed him

Yes its more noticeable a GK but we do have alternatives.

How long does it say he's injured for

Barcelona have said he's out for the first leg of the Spanish Supercup this weekend.

"The german Goalkeeper's availability beyond that will depend on how his injury progresses"

Doesn't sound serious, but might make things tricky - I was hoping the Bravo/ter Stegen thing would kick off when one of them didn't get picked for the opening league game, but now he's picked up a knock, maybe he'll justifiably be left out of the league team until the window closes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.