Tribute to Bert Trautmann

Can't remember that, although I remember Oaksie scoring from the half way line into the Platt Lane goal in front of 84015 ;-) a year or so later, from the same area as Matt Grey, recently died, scored in another match. Some things I remember some not.

A favourite memory of Bert was in a Derby when he dived to save at his bottom left from Chisnall. The ball ran out to the edge of the area when the Ticket Tout of all people stormed in and really whacked it into the opposite corner. Bert saved it with nonchalant ease in the top right corner. I think that was the match where Dawson punched in the ball seen by everyone in the ground except the ref. Nothing changes ever over a half century, same old rags. always cheatin'.

Great player and a great man.

Yes I think you are right, it was the West Ham match. Watching the video brought back wonderful memories. I vividly remember as a small girl being shielded by my dad in the huge crowd squashing through the double doors at the back of the main stand. There were such crowds in those days. Then the walk down all the back alleys of Moss Side right the way to Belle Vue. Win, lose or draw magic times. I do think there ought to be a statue of Bert though.

Can't remember that, although I remember Oaksie scoring from the half way line into the Platt Lane goal in front of 84015 ;-) a year or so later, from the same area as Matt Grey, recently died, scored in another match. Some things I remember some not.

A favourite memory of Bert was in a Derby when he dived to save at his bottom left from Chisnall. The ball ran out to the edge of the area when the Ticket Tout of all people stormed in and really whacked it into the opposite corner. Bert saved it with nonchalant ease in the top right corner. I think that was the match where Dawson punched in the ball seen by everyone in the ground except the ref. Nothing changes ever over a half century, same old rags. always cheatin'.

Great player and a great man.
Just as an aside, an old teacher of mine married Alex Dawson.

Just got round to watching this now. Thanks to the OP for posting. Really enjoyable.

One thing that's truly incredible about Bert that people don't really mention is how late he started. He didn't play football at all growing up, and his first exposure to the game was in those PoW games shown in the clip. And he didn't go in goal at first. Wasn't he a CH who only took a turn in nets when someone got injured? To become an genuine world class player despite that is quite incredible.

I also think that Trautmann is the figure from our past that the modern MCFC should really embrace. As someone who came from overseas and grew to love the people in our area, who was an indisputably great player, and who did so much to bring nations together, he symbolises far better than any other MCFC figure everything ADUG want our club to be about.

Just got round to watching this now. Thanks to the OP for posting. Really enjoyable.

One thing that's truly incredible about Bert that people don't really mention is how late he started. He didn't play football at all growing up, and his first exposure to the game was in those PoW games shown in the clip. And he didn't go in goal at first. Wasn't he a CH who only took a turn in nets when someone got injured? To become an genuine world class player despite that is quite incredible.

I also think that Trautmann is the figure from our past that the modern MCFC should really embrace. As someone who came from overseas and grew to love the people in our area, who was an indisputably great player, and who did so much to bring nations together, he symbolises far better than any other MCFC figure everything ADUG want our club to be about.

Yes, you're correct he didn't start as a goalkeeper but it became obvious very quickly that was his best position. I totally agree that he symbolises the perfect international player that City should commemorate with a statue, or my personal preference, the new North Stand named after him.

Thanks for that post. So enjoyable to watch, he was a really great legend, truly deserving of a statue. I have this image of Bert being sent off in a match a Maine Road, I was in H Block with my dad and Bert left the field ripping off his jumper to hand to the sub. It' s always stayed with me because he was such an imposing man - could have dreamt it though!

Was this the game against West Ham? In 1962? If I remember correctly we were getting thrashed 4-1 I think when Bert stormed out of his goal when their fourth had gone in and tried to argue with the ref, who ignored him. Bert was incensed, kicked the ball like a rocket into the ref's back and then stormed off. There were no cards then so we all thought he'd gone off in temper and only found out later he'd been sent off (hardly surprising). My memory is that he ripped his jersey off and just threw it to the ground in fury. We lost 6-1 in the end!

One of Bert`s many talents was his ability to not just make a great save but to catch most shots and crosses.
I believe he played a great deal of basketball in Germany before the war and this helped his immaculate handling of the ball.
He was the best ever keeper in my opinion. Even Harry Gregg said Bert set the standard for all goal keepers and Bob Wilson, the Arsenal keeper,
used to carry a copy of Trautmann`s autobiography onto the field and put it in the back of his goal. A statue for Bert is the least he deserves.
Frank Swift said "You`ll do" when he first saw Bert play.
A real City Legend

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.