Full Backs?

We need as solid defence, don't know about anyone else but I always feel we are about to concede, its not like our players are not talented, there must be other factors at work, aside from tactics and formations but I'm at a loss to know what they are. Anyone???

I honestly think its the players. Yes they are talented but they are old and are not Pep players. A 25 year old Zabs may have been able to adapt but at his age he is fighting a losing battle. We only have two CBs. One is perfect for Pep but still a little raw. The other is NOT a Pep player. I like Otamendi but he will be third choice at best next August.

With the age of our squad, it was always going to be two windows before we finally see a Pep squad. I thought our summer window was amazing but also a little odd. It looked to me like we were being very opportunistic with our purchases (Moreno, Rulli, Jesus, etc...). We loaded up on attacking talent and could have a core set of attackers for the next 5-7 years. Perhaps they didn't see the same opportunities in defense of CM. Regardless, in the next window we will have to address these areas as we have no where else to spend money and we know we are going to spend.

I honestly think its the players. Yes they are talented but they are old and are not Pep players. A 25 year old Zabs may have been able to adapt but at his age he is fighting a losing battle. We only have two CBs. One is perfect for Pep but still a little raw. The other is NOT a Pep player. I like Otamendi but he will be third choice at best next August.

With the age of our squad, it was always going to be two windows before we finally see a Pep squad. I thought our summer window was amazing but also a little odd. It looked to me like we were being very opportunistic with our purchases (Moreno, Rulli, Jesus, etc...). We loaded up on attacking talent and could have a core set of attackers for the next 5-7 years. Perhaps they didn't see the same opportunities in defense of CM. Regardless, in the next window we will have to address these areas as we have no where else to spend money and we know we are going to spend.

gen question, but third choice behind who?

bertrand, creswell or tierney for me. 3 very talented british left backs.
You're right we need to try and think British as we're going to have very few home grown players with Delph not looking up to it and Clichy looking finished. Spurs went British with punts on Walker and Rose and they've developed into decent full backs. We need to do the same but can see only Grimaldo in January. Maffeo may come good but Angelino does not look good enough.

You're right we need to try and think British as we're going to have very few home grown players with Delph not looking up to it and Clichy looking finished. Spurs went British with punts on Walker and Rose and they've developed into decent full backs. We need to do the same but can see only Grimaldo in January. Maffeo may come good but Angelino does not look good enough.

Angelino hasn't even played as a LB for Guardiola yet, and his NYCFC loan was impressive given the context. I'm not sure what performances people are using to justify him not being good enough.

He's got to improve defensively, but all fullbacks at tht age either need to improve their defending (angelino) or going forward (Maffeo). No one is well rounded at 19.

It makes it harder to throw him in, because the consequences of being poor in defence are usually worse than being weak in attack, but it doesn't make him any less promising.

It would be good to see both vs. Celtic given it's a shot to nothing and we desperately need to find a solution to having no fullbacks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.