The Christmas Music Thread 2016.

The pogues is the best ever xmas song, though he disgusts me as a person gary glitters is also one of the finest

The bird who sang Christmas wrapping died 20 years ago. She was only 40, lung cancer.

Not a favourite of mine but it's grown on me a little. The song Christmas wrapping, not lung cancer the degenerative disease.

Stop the cavalry is a decent one.

The only piece of Christmas radio tradition I could stand growing up. I wish to hell they still played it on terrestrial radio. It's "kind of" musical.

As a Pop music expert reviewing artists of all varieties for Bluemoon i feel in a position to officially propose the greatest Christmas song of all time.

Firstly we have to look into the History and ingredients for the perfect Christmas song - It was poetry from nearly 200 years ago that led to the first Christmas Carol, Silent Night being one of the oldest, Its fame eventually spread (allegedly it has been translated into over 300 languages and dialects)
1800-1850: The great age of Christmas literature. But it was 1851-1923: where popular holiday music begins to appear; the modern Santa takes shape and Christmas enters the silent film era, James Pierpont writes the first secular Christmas song, Jingle Bells and 30 years later the first Santa Claus parade takes place in Peoria, Illinois.
But it was between 1924-1933 where Christmas becomes big entertainment and Santa becomes big business - Coca Cola begins to use Santa Claus image in their advertising in the 1930's.

1934-1945 begins the first major wave of holiday movies and popular music, Release of A Christmas Carol (the first full version in sound) - 1939 brings ' Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' 1944 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and The Christmas Song' all coming in thick and fast
1946-1955: The second major wave of holiday movies and popular music brings 'Frosty the Snowman and Silver Bells' 'It’s Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas' and many more.
1964-1979: variety shows take over holiday television; more holiday rock & roll, including TV hits The Little Drummer Boy, Frosty the Snowman and Dean Martin television special.

1980-2000 is in full flow now, Live Aid brings 'Do They Know It’s Christmas and the same year 'Last Christmas' hits the charts, The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl, reached the UK number two spot in Christmas 1987- whilst films like Home Alone, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Jingle All the way brings comedy to Christmas time.
2001-present brings more Christmas comedies from Hollywood, animated films get serious, and Christmas pop songs keep on coming

So what makes the perfect chistmas song ? Sleigh bells is a must, a sweet voice and a artist who can not only write a song but does so in poetry.

After much consideration.

I give you the greatest Christmas song of all time...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.