We don't need any defenders yet

Dynasties are built on solid foundations. Arsenals good years, Liverpools and dare I say the scums all relied on a solid consistent back line and a top class keeper. Until we have this again, we will struggle

Going into a season with just 1 experienced striker wasn't the smartest move I've ever seen either though

I agree with the original poster. I'm sure he doesn't really mean that we wouldn't do better with improved defenders but he's right that we have too many players who do not score enough goals for the role they play in the team. Pep wants to play a more expansive game than Chelsea do but to do this we have to score far more goals than we do.

If Aguero doesn't score 30 goals this season, then who will score the goals? Silva, Sterling, Navas and Gundagan (when fit) all avoid shooting when they can and are probably good for about 20 goals a season between them. It's not enough when you think about their positions and their relatively weak defensive contributions. Nolito would get more goals but I'm not sure he is good enough for a slot in the team. Sane is not yet ready.

Barca may or may not have better defenders but they have a front 3 who can score 100 goals between them. That's why they win games. Real's front three likewise.

Full backs full stop.

Can't neglect looking at help/successor to Fernadinho. He's getting on in age and we could use someone with his all around game in the middle of the park. Yaya doesn't offer that (even on his best day), Ilkay does offer a bit more but not at Ferna's levels. Fernando doesn't feel like a Pep player and would doubt he figures into his plans. Would love to see Garcia get a run of games to see what we have there. We have conceded the majority of goals on counters where players were pushed up pitch in advanced positions and once possession is lost the ball gets played over the top and we have consistently lost foot races or failed to close down and condeded. Our back four, especially our FBs are badly exposed in open spaces where they are isolated 1v1. Outside of Ferna we have no real shield ahead of our back four. This just exacerbates the already existing defensive issues.

Pep seems to be playing the long game here. Insisting on installing his total philosophy/system rather than making concessions based on these defensive shortcomings.

Couldnt have said that any better myself mate!;)

I disagree, because winning games wins you titles. You can have the best defence in the world but a 0-0 will only get you one point, realistically it's the whole team who wins you titles. I completely disagree with the statement as your basically saying the defence is the most important thing above all. If that was the case then goalkeepers and defenders would cost more than strikers, or do you have the strategic secret that the whole world doesn't know.

I agree we probably need 5-6 new defenders and a goal keeper, completely, 100%. But we also need another goal scoring forward and goal scoring Attacking midfielder, in my opinion.

What I was saying originally was, I believe are main efforts should be to bring goals into the team. I think it's ridiculous playing Aguero upfront by himself, there's too much pressure for him to get all the goals, and I'm sorry to say he won't score 50 a season. Our so called shocking defence conceded 1 goal away at Liverpool yesterday, if we had a better/more attackers, we might have drawn or won that game. I understand it might have been a different game had we not conceded, but we could've played all night and not scored agains them. For me, it doesn't sit comfortably knowing that Aguero is the only out and out goal scorer in that side.

In January I would bring in a defender because no big time striker is likely to leave mid season, but next year we have to throw all efforts to bring in a Griezman or Aubemenyang, along with an Alexis Sanchez or Coutinho type player. Then I'd think about some potential new defenders.

Last edited:
In those games, pretty much every goal was scored on the break. We wouldn't have conceded any on the break had the game been put to bed. We've been talking about new defenders and full backs for 3 seasons now. We've spent about 100 million on centre backs and look how that's done us. Issue is, a ball in the box, one on one with the defender on the break, no matter how good you are, there is a chance you'll concede. Because we strive to attack we leave ourselves vulnerable to these situations.

First things first, concentrate on getting another goal scoring forward.
Its obvious to anyone we need a leader and organiser at the back, someone who can talk move players into the correct positions to defend and read danger and stop chances being given away, unfortunately none of our 3 fit centre backs can do that job so unless Vinny cant somehow get fit then we need one urgently, Pep knows this thats why he tried to get Bonnuchi

i do agree with need some more natural finishers, or need our guys to start finishing opportunities they have. KDB puts more unbelievable passes into the box from all angles than anyone I've ever seen, you can tell hes frustrated by the lack of finishing on the other end of these passes BUT.... you can't say our priorities in the transfer market are anything but help at the back line. were slow, we arent good with the ball, were wreckless, out of position. our back line is middle of the pack AT BEST

It helps if we get players making good runs into and around the 6 yards box, our most instinctive goal scorer is Kelechi & it doesn't appear Pep fancys him, personally I think he's our most natural goalscorer even is his first touch and link up play need to improve!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.