£50 for a letter

cityfansimon

I received a letter yesterday about an unpaid bill for ground rent for my property. It's only 12 quid a year but for some reason or another I haven't paid it for 3 years

They also wrote to me in October (ish) last year to tell me there was a couple of years outstanding to which I emailed them to ask if rather than paying it on one payment could I spread it over 2 months to which they never replied.

Anyway this letter yesterday advised that there is a balance outstanding that needs to paid within 14 days if not they will add a further £20 cost on to the amount owed and then charge £50 for every letter they need to send me. Can they charge me this for a letter?

I will pay the amount outstanding but was just wondering what rights they have got to charge me?

cityfansimon said:
I received a letter yesterday about an unpaid bill for ground rent for my property. It's only 12 quid a year but for some reason or another I haven't paid it for 3 years

They also wrote to me in October (ish) last year to tell me there was a couple of years outstanding to which I emailed them to ask if rather than paying it on one payment could I spread it over 2 months to which they never replied.

Anyway this letter yesterday advised that there is a balance outstanding that needs to paid within 14 days if not they will add a further £20 cost on to the amount owed and then charge £50 for every letter they need to send me. Can they charge me this for a letter?

I will pay the amount outstanding but was just wondering what rights they have got to charge me?

Pay what you owe them and leave the £50.

Just respond to the original letter and advise them that all future correspondence by you will cost them £100 each time

asgoodasitgets said:
Just respond to the original letter and advise them that all future correspondence by you will cost them £100 each time
I was wondering if I could do that, write to them to tell them that if I write to them again I will charge them.

denislawsbackheel said:
Just pay what you owe and stop playing clever buggers.

this.

the debt is legally due and your late payment is exposing you to the costs of recovering the debt, no matter that this appears disproportionate to the amount due.
at some point in time, you will need the consent of the freeholder (to maybe sell the house or extend it or whatever). do yourself a favour in the long term and pay up.

Could affect your credit score if you fail to pay, which will only harm yourself in the long run, especially if you come to move house, and try it get a mortgage.

cityfansimon said:

Maybe an obvious question, but why didn't you simply pay up each year? £12; what's that? Not even half a decent night out. If you'd stumped up, you wouldn't have them now charging silly money for warning letters.

jimharri said:
cityfansimon said:

Maybe an obvious question, but why didn't you simply pay up each year? £12; what's that? Not even half a decent night out. If you'd stumped up, you wouldn't have them now charging silly money for warning letters.
I think because it's such a small amount I have over looked it as something I will pay easily and then just forgotten about. I am going to pay what is owed, I just wanted to find out if they could charge 50 quid for a letter, even though I have contacted them asking them a question they haven't answered yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.