£800 dentist bill!!

BoyBlue_1985 said:
The last time I went to NHS dentist I came out £100 lighter in pocket and thought fuck it I will go private if I have to pay anyway. Best move ever did for £25 a month all services included. Went in for a clean up found out I needed a filling and had that done while I was there, spot on service without the mechanic type"ooohoohohohoh" every time something goes wrong

Same sort of thread as yesterday.......do the private thing at around £20 a month. It covers you for 2 check ups / 2 hygienist and any other work that you need doin

£240 a year....at my dentist its £60 for a check up and £50 for the hygienist .... do the math....cos NHS Dentistry for free is loooooong gone

I don't understand this talk of not been able to get
an NHS dentist. I picked one out of the phone book
when I was in South Manchester and registered and
had an appointment in two days.

I moved to another area and phoned the local council and they
gave me a list of three, within two miles that were taking
new patients.

The most you can pay is £209 I believe on the NHS.

My private medical insurance had cover that included up to £500 of dental work with a £25 excess. When a back tooth broke I went to see what could be done. Explained that I had this cover and wanted the tooth saving if possible. Was told that it'd be £475 for root canal, bridge and whatever else it was - great I said, I'm covered for £500 so just the £25 excess to pay. Err no - that was in addition to the cover I had.

Went for the £35 extraction and months of biting the edge of my tongue.

Just had an examination done in NHS and it still cost £17.50. Five minutes if that - should have done biology instead of chemistry.

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
£240 a year....at my dentist its £60 for a check up and £50 for the hygienist .... do the math....cos NHS Dentistry for free is loooooong gone

MATHS

It cost me over £800 just last month to have an emergency extraction (bad toothache) 3 fillings and a scale and polish, This included xrays and the air i was breathing!

All in all its very expensive going to the dentist but we will spend a grand on a new TV and we are reluctant to spend anything at all on our own health!

Is she not exempt from paying whilst she's still a student? I had some certificate thing that meant free prescriptions/dental on the NHS whilst I was in full time education (including uni) up until I graduated last year.

Not sure what the deal was with it, my dentist put me onto it but you should definitely check it out pal.

tidyman said:
I don't understand this talk of not been able to get
an NHS dentist. I picked one out of the phone book
when I was in South Manchester and registered and
had an appointment in two days.

I moved to another area and phoned the local council and they
gave me a list of three, within two miles that were taking
new patients.

The most you can pay is £209 I believe on the NHS.

Interesting Thanks. NHS Direct web site confirms this to be the case. Just got a list via the council web site community section on which you can search for an NHS dentist and the results list those (allegedly) accepting NHS patients. i am now ringing round these and most only accept kids on NHS so you have to ask up front whether they are accepting new adult patients. Most of course are not and there is the problem. Presumably the dentist can choose and they mostly prefer to do the more lucrative private work which is why it is so hard to find these NHS dentists that we are told still exist.

Having paid my dues for 30-odd years I am determined to find one rather than be ripped off by some smooth talking dentist/ salesman wanting to sell me an insurance policy on which he doubtless gets a commission.

Too much smoke and mirrors. The system is unclear and requires more transparency and everyone should know that they are entitled to an NHS dentist, and government should ensure that sufficient dentists exist in an area that can provide NHS care and make these much simpler to find.

If someone wants to go private and can afford to do so then fair enough but the system seems to be forcing people down this route by simply making it too difficult to go the NHS route or relying on a lack of clarity to ensure that people go private through lack of information rather than choice.

I have now find an NHS dentist and will report my findings on the difference in cost! Hopefully it is £209 and not fucking £800 and my faith in the dental care system will be partially restored. (£209 is still a shedload of cash). Imagine if doctors went down this route ffs.

city91 said:
Really? I'm a student and need quite a bit of work doing on my teeth and have just registered at a NHS dentist. I thought there was a maximum amount of money you could pay for the treatment (about £220 i think) and thats for all the treatment. If not looks like I will have to keep my tootchache!

£209 i think....that should include all crown work

ocean dental in fallowfield

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.