18/19 home and away kits ?

That was my attempt at "sly snidyness" after being accused of it!:-) As for Orlando,I think you will find there are more Brits and Brazilians than Americans in most places there.

Since Nike went to their own outlets, they have actually sought to move upmarket with new technology, new products and moving away from the athleisure market. Yes, they do have "off year" deals, because they actually do annualized products, like their AirMax shoes. I have a pair and just recently learned they were 2014s! I had no idea they were like license plates!

UA came on like a storm with their pro heat and cold gear, which was basically skin tight base layers that pro athletes wore depending upon the season. That is still a popular product, but every other manufacturer has moved in on that market, too. Nike Pro is an excellent example. My own son played American football and initially it was all about UA, but then Nike started making the same type of gear and UA no longer had that market cornered and he went back to Nike...and it is all about being current ("on trend") and updating on a regular basis so he has "this year's model!"

If anything, UA has been slow to adapt to the market that Nike appears to have adapted to pretty well. However, tbh, they are both suffering from the move away from athletic clothing being appropriate for every occasion! It looks like Nike is weathering now that better than UA at the moment, but UA is starting to move up, after a significant fall from grace,so it might be time to take another dip in that pool!

I appreciate the evenhanded discussion. FWIW,I was a shell suit guy back in the day...but that day was 30 yrss ago! ;-)

Yeh I agree with your main points again. Nike is a mature company now so is more resilient to changes in consumer behaviour.

I appreciate Orlando is full of British and Brazilian tourists, but there was loads of locals wearing UA. I was actually taken aback by how many people had it on because you don't see it that much in the UK.

It's like the exact opposite with adidas, it's probably the most popular sports brand in Manchester, definitely for match going fans trainers, but it's a minor brand in comparison with UA and Nike in the US and I'm sure the sales figures back that up.

I have used both Nike and UA baselayer in the winter and Under Armour goes #2 all over Nike as far as comfort and warmth. :)
Have 3 UA (White, blue, navy) and no Nikes. Find a lot of Nike stuff to be overpriced, especially in their stores. I'll have a look when the stuff is on sale, but can't see paying £50 for a plastic t shirt, just because it has a swoosh and is supposed to "wick away my sweat!" My other issue is I need size tall tops and they are hard to find!

All that said, I think City are a prime candidate for UA uniforms when the Nike deal ends. I was hoping for Adidas, so City could have the same uniforms across the entire CFG (MLS has an Adidas contract, so all MLs teams have to wear it!), but if UA is going to get into soccer, then they need a high profile team and City is about the highest profile team they are going to find looking for a sweet deal.

Have 3 UA (White, blue, navy) and no Nikes. Find a lot of Nike stuff to be overpriced, especially in their stores. I'll have a look when the stuff is on sale, but can't see paying £50 for a plastic t shirt, just because it has a swoosh and is supposed to "wick away my sweat!" My other issue is I need size tall tops and they are hard to find!

All that said, I think City are a prime candidate for UA uniforms when the Nike deal ends. I was hoping for Adidas, so City could have the same uniforms across the entire CFG (MLS has an Adidas contract, so all MLs teams have to wear it!), but if UA is going to get into soccer, then they need a high profile team and City is about the highest profile team they are going to find looking for a sweet deal.
If City goes Under Armor the shirt sales will soar in the States, imo. I understand totally what you are saying.

Yeh I agree with your main points again. Nike is a mature company now so is more resilient to changes in consumer behaviour.

I appreciate Orlando is full of British and Brazilian tourists, but there was loads of locals wearing UA. I was actually taken aback by how many people had it on because you don't see it that much in the UK.

It's like the exact opposite with adidas, it's probably the most popular sports brand in Manchester, definitely for match going fans trainers, but it's a minor brand in comparison with UA and Nike in the US and I'm sure the sales figures back that up.
UA is big in football and baseball, and their US strategy has been to do the personal sponsorship with the top players in every sport (Tom Brady..and his missus Gisele Bündchen, Steph Curry, and Bryce Harper). That has cost them big, big dollars, but has got them in front of everyone on TV on a regular basis, but by far their biggest sponsorship is college sports, especially football, which is the most popular sport in America. 100,000 per game for some teams, every week, and the Universities are fertile ground for gaining a foothold in future homes of highly compensated college grads.

The strategy is what rocketed them to $120/shr, but their exponential growth recently abated and their stock multiple dropped dramatically. They are very closely held and some people believe that Kevin Plank might have grown the company so quickly that he has not recognized the ground shifting beneath him. I'm not in the habit of giving stock tips, but if you are into such things, UA might be a decent long term holding at its current $20/share. Retail in the US is getting schwacked, but I just don't see UA being 1/6th the company it was just a year or two ago. It might not get back to $120 in a hurry, but $40 is very doable in the next 12-24 months. I might have another look myself tomorrow and grab a handful on Monday!

Fwiw, Nike, at $87B, has almost 10x the market cap of UA at $9B!!!

As for Adidas, it is THE brand to have in the US right now. White Superstars are almost required attire for girls aged 7-21 and the whole Adidas Originals line is en fuego! Black leather Gazelles sell for $100, Stan Smiths a shade under that and Samba Originals (short tongue, pleather heel cup, gum rubber sole) are about $70, plus you can build your own colors online and completely personalize many of them!

Well, that's enough sportswear talk for one night! Enjoy your Sunday!

Last edited:
Would personally prefer UA to Nike. If for no other reason than UA seem to personalize kits for the club and have done (imo) a good job with Spurs kits over the years.

While I do not agree with you about the quality of Spurs shirts I do want a personal touch for City. No more Nike templates!!.

As a side note I think it is ridiculous that Nike have reused the same template for 3 seasons now.

Nike is not what it used to be.

My top choice would be Adidas. They are quality.

Sorry if this has been raised earlier in this thread but I bought an adult home shirt two weeks ago from the City shop. Cost £90 less my season ticket discount. Just seen them in JD Sport for £55!! Are these copies or poor quality? Surely JD can't sell same shirt for £35 less???

Sorry if this has been raised earlier in this thread but I bought an adult home shirt two weeks ago from the City shop. Cost £90 less my season ticket discount. Just seen them in JD Sport for £55!! Are these copies or poor quality? Surely JD can't sell same shirt for £35 less???
Sounds like you bought the playing shirt, the jd one will be the replica.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.