1st April 1990 - City win at Villa / Strangeways goes up in flames!

My first away game, and to this day probably my favourite. Atmosphere was great, and the celebrations were fantastic when Reid scored. The singing on the double decker buses after the game was awesome.
Sure this was the first real loud and proud bluemoon sung by the masses, was right in the middle of my five years without missing a game, could be wrong about bm though.

Fantastic day ! We drove past Strangeways on the way and saw the 1st few blokes on the roof - no idea what they were doing at the time though !

Younger football fans just don't realise how good it was to have stood on the packed away-end terraces like that - proper celebrations for every goal ! Proper passion, none of the "we've scored so I'll stand up and clap" bollocks !
This.
Terrace humour unity strength and volume.
Thats whats missing ,imo,from todays game.when the kippax shut it was heartbreaking,but the demise ,one by one, of the away terraces i used to visit,year after year really dug the knife deeper.Football,like all things has changed,but the dearth of real working class terrace culture is the main reason football,as a spectator sport is pretty much dead to me now.How did we let ' our' game get taken away from us?

Sure this was the first real loud and proud bluemoon sung by the masses, was right in the middle of my five years without missing a game, could be wrong about bm though.
Others have said that.i remember singing it (i think!) at villa park but others have said bm surfaced at Anfield first day of the season 3-1 defeat.was at Anfield but dont recall hearing it...Der Bow was so strong those days i could be forgiven for not recalling minor details,lol

Others have said that.i remember singing it (i think!) at villa park but others have said bm surfaced at Anfield first day of the season 3-1 defeat.was at Anfield but dont recall hearing it...Der Bow was so strong those days i could be forgiven for not recalling minor details,lol
Definitely sung the first game of the season at Liverpool.

What strikes me is the style of play. I had forgotten that the long ball game didn't start with Quinn, it started with Reid the manager (and Ellis the assistant). If Kendall had not defected back to the blue dippers and England stuck with the disastrous Taylor we might had made the next level (finances allowing). It is all ifs, buts and maybes - the history of Manchester City I guess - but I watched nearly 20 years of city before I saw us in a better position to challenge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.