2 week winter break from 2020

For me it'simple, make all federation comps like the european championships and african nations cup, concacaf etc every 4 years and world cup inbetween, and make qualifers two summers befor for example

2018 world cup july
2019 federation cup qualiying mini leagues
july.
2020 Federation Finals like euros July
2021 World cup qualifyers mini league july
2022 world cup july
and so on.
(accept this thinking and season is pro european leagues timetables)

No international during the football callender
so 4 more spare weekends

No fixtures allowed to be messed with over christmas week for tv
All teams in all leagues play boxing day
then all teams on 29th Dec
NYD set as FA cup 3rd round.

2-3 weeks off after
FA cup 4th round

Leagues resume 4th week of January.

Third and Fourth round ties?

Don’t agree with that.

It is the FA cup not the premier league cup.

Replays can often be financial lifesavers for smaller clubs. For instance Rochdale won’t beat Spurs but they have earned the right to the bumper pay off the replay will earn them.

Just ban all internationals.

Definitely all qualifying. In almost all other sports, the top ranked players/teams qualify automatically for World Championships and this should be the case for football too. You could then expand the number of nations in the finals and lengthen the tournament by a week. Smaller nations could have a qualifying tournament which would make their games more competitive and still give a chance for minnows making it to the finals tournament itself. Then set aside a couple of weeks at the end of the season or after a short break for International friendlies/warm up matches prior to the finals themselves. Thus you remove the 4 international breaks from the season and can spread games out a little better and maybe even finish the season a week early or start a week later.

Definitely all qualifying. In almost all other sports, the top ranked players/teams qualify automatically for World Championships and this should be the case for football too. You could then expand the number of nations in the finals and lengthen the tournament by a week. Smaller nations could have a qualifying tournament which would make their games more competitive and still give a chance for minnows making it to the finals tournament itself. Then set aside a couple of weeks at the end of the season or after a short break for International friendlies/warm up matches prior to the finals themselves. Thus you remove the 4 international breaks from the season and can spread games out a little better and maybe even finish the season a week early or start a week later.

Difference is all other major team sports competions have fewer countries at proffesional level so it's easy to pick tge same top clubs.

I mean cricket, both rugby codes have 6 or so countriis and fiield hockey 12-16 top teams.

Football is completely different and who do you decide from each co federation isn't prestigous enough to be an automatic pick?

e.g. Europe you pick 6 based on previous tounament wins so

Germany, Italy, france, spain, portugal, Holland(or denmark) and England never play again, though as I have no time for international football I am fine with that.

Last edited:
Difference is all other major team sports competions have fewer countries at proffeaional levelso it's easy to pick tge same top clubs.

I mean cricket, both rugby codes have 6 or so countriis and fiield hockey 12-16 top teams.

Football is completely different and who do you decide from each co federation isn't prestigous enough to be an automatic pick?

e.g. Europe you pick 6 based on previous tounament wins so

Germany, Italy, france, spain, portugal, Holland(or denmark) and England never play again, though as I have no time for international football I am fine with that.

You expand the tournament to say 40-50 teams, Europe gets around 15 spots, based on rankings from say 3 previous international tournaments and say 2 years of friendlies. Most World Cups there's only usually 1 or 2 big European names missing so it doesn't affect it much, except adding more overall places gives more opportunities to mid ranked teams around the world.

The UEFA Nations League takes care of this. Scraps 'friendlies' for actually meaningful ranked matches which will be against similarly rated teams rather than European minnows.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.