20 years ago today - Bury, Makin & City!

You are forgetting who took us down there to start with and how we struggled by the skin of our teeth to get out of the second division. Games like Macclesfield away, a single goal on 85 minutes and more like that getting us into the play offs and playing badly in that for 90 minutes.

Surely you don't blame Royle for relegation. The club was in a dark dark place inside and out and in freefall. It took so long for them to shake off the fallout from relegation to the 3rd tier. The squad lacked character and leaders and his best piece of business was getting Morrison from Huddersfield. The promotion back to the Premier League far exceeded any fans expectations that year. Overall he did a fantastic job for us, despite the way it ended.

It was total total fucking shite.
I remember Chuckle brother No 1 gloating in our misery on the touch line in the Bury away match which we ended up drawing 1-1.
Makes it all the more sweeter what’s happening now though that’s for sure.

wasn't that the match where it pissed it down all fkin night and Ewe did a warm down (after not getting on incredibly!!) then through his boots into the crowd?

Today is the twentieth anniversary of one of the lows - a 1-0 defeat by Bury at Maine Road in 1998 which made us realise that a relegation to the club's lowest ever level was possible. Shareholder David Makin of JD sports made a memorable call to BBC Radio Manchester about the desperate plight and the club was in free fall. A fan ran on the pitch ripped up his season ticket and sat on the pitch. A terrible, terrible day. Now that City have moved onwards and upwards, here's a clip on that season:

At least we have something positive these days.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Gary! Dark distant days thankfully! "Lest we forget" eh?
I decided to leave it all behind in 2000 and moved to the USA, after suffering the 80's & 90's with my beloved club, what a great decision that was :-(
Still i do get to watch 99% of the matches over here, which isn't the same as being there, but beggars cant be chosers right!

Here's what Makin said to Jimmy Wagg on that famous call:

“The reason I am not at the ground is that six months ago, or four or five months ago, I saw my backside with the chairman. I think there a massive chemistry problem within the club. I really do. He overrides everybody. He tries to be dominant. I am in business and I know if you haven’t got a happy workplace then there are problems. I don’t think City is a happy workplace and, frankly, I think there is a problem.

So everybody is looking at Frank. Yes, I’ll be honest, so am I. His tactics have left a hell of a lot to be desired but, by the same rule, I think it’s upstairs and I think Francis should do us all a favour and live up to what he said [a reference to Lee’s statement that he would get out within three years if City hadn’t won anything].

I get down like the best of the City fans and I’ve had enough. I will be doing my best in the next few weeks to remove the chairman because he is staying there and I don’t know whether he is bloody minded or stubborn. He is being proud. If I was him I think I would put a moustache and a cap on hide. I know there are people ready behind the scenes ready to take over I not going into any details. It can happen — that’s for certain — and I think it should. I have seen enough and I know the fans are hurt. I still go in the Kippax. I have been near to tears with the best of them.

The first thing I would do when Franny is gone is to find the guy who has probably been barred for throwing his season ticket away on the pitch and put him in the directors’ box. It sums up how the fans feel. I own about ten per cent of the shares, or my missus does, because I was sick of it, I just wanted to get out. I was just gutted. I know for a fact that there are people waiting to take over Manchester City.

I am privileged to know that information. I just want to go on record as saying — because Lee won’t listen himself and maybe this is a way of pushing things’ along, that I believe the chairman, !f he has any pride, should be walking away.

There is no doubt that with the fan base they’ve got a chance of getting back to the top. But it is eroding, there is no doubt about it. My kids are in primary school where there are not that many City fans. When I was in primary school it was 50:50"

Incredible stuff and it spelled the end for Franny, who resigned a month later, as well as Frank Clarke, who found out he'd been sacked when listening to GMR on his way to the ground. He then went to Franny's house and they had a furious showdown.

I actually remembering hearing that call live.

Said this before but I had that conversation with John Wardle himself. He couldn't understand why people seemed to prefer those days to the pre-Thaksin ones. What you've said summed up the replies to him. No one really preferred that era but there was no expectation (other than the assumption that it was a temporary plight and would get better) and so days out were fun and involved trips to places most had never been before.

I would not say that I look back with particular fondness on those days but I went to a lot of games and always kept looking on the bright side and enjoying as much of it as possible. I just wish my loyalty points reflected the loyalty I showed in those days.

What is for sure is that I do prefer the experience of following City now, aside from the difficulty of getting tickets for away games. Also, having gone through so many years of sh1t really does make the success we have had in recent years all the sweeter and gives one a great sense of perspective on things.

Whichever way I look at it, it has been an incredible journey following City for the last 50 years.

Last edited:
What a load of nonsense. Took on a sinking ship and nearly kept us up. We had a very poor team with no money but he completely galvanized the players and support. Of course there were low moments but without Royle we wouldn’t have come straight back up. The season after was one of the best seasons as a City fan which we completely overachieved and as a result we weren’t good enough for the premier league. I’m not having that.

Totally agree Royle took a team and a club that were in free fall and he reversed the trend. He did an incredible job. We were getting kicked to shit in the third division and he had the good sense to bring in Morrison and the culture of the team changed and we crawled our way to third in the table - we absolutely had to get promoted that season or we could have become the next Preston NE. As City fans we should be forever grateful to Wardle. Makin, Bernstein and Royle - they between them saved our club.

Clark accused me of being a member of the fifth column and got his turd of an assistant manager Alan Hill to ring me and ban me from the club.

And all because I stated he was getting the sack and Joe Royle was getting his job.

Cowardly useless pricks the pair of them.

Joe thanked me later!

Alan Hill was a well known bully. A few stories about him being a right shit at Forest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.