20 years ago today - Bury, Makin & City!

It wasn't a bonus it was severance pay which was more if city were still in the premier league. City were relegated over 2 weeks before the final game, and he was sacked 2 days after the final game, however the Premier League season didn't end legally until a few weeks after the last game so he claimed he was entitled to the higher amount. Bernstein saying his job was safe then sacking him right after wasn't right either though.
I imagine it’s because they had secured Keegan and at the time that was an opportunity too good to miss.

FFS how do you see fault in Royle. His budget year on year was minimal to say the least. This was to prove his downfall as promotion to Div 1 was to soon physically and mentally we were not good enough in 2000-01 In many ways he was a "lucky" manager for us with miraculous victories at Wembley and Ewood For those seeking to blame him for our initial relegation he stands behind Mr Ball. Neal, Coppell. Asa H and Clark, who all contrived to make us the laughing stock of football Infact the only brief pleasure of CITY IN THE 90S apart from the games mentioned above. was not football related, as in July 95 the day we were being introduced to our Saviour Alan Ball, my son Adam made his introduction. and i am glad to say he is into his 8th year as a ST holder in the Colin Bell stand

I went to school with John Tague (the lad who ripped-up his Season Ticket) He was a Marple lad, and was in the pub trade around the same time.
The last time I spoke to him was after the victory at Macclesfield the following September.
If you're serious, them PM me, and I'll make a few enquiries, via mutual friends.

I'm not sure if you ever spoke to John after this request but I was indeed serious and I published my book about Bury in the mid-90s in January 2019. Here are some pages from the chapter to which John contributed.

Attachments

• John Tague 1.jpg
    John Tague 1.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 59
  • John Tague 2.jpg
    John Tague 2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 55
  • John Tague 3.jpg
    John Tague 3.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 44
  • John Tague 4.jpg
    John Tague 4.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 45
  • John Tague 5.jpg
    John Tague 5.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 53
The Beehive became my sanctuary during these dark (very!) days!
Always remember the Beehive the night of the Wigan game atmosphere unbelievable. People outside and many others buying beer from the offy opposite Claremont Rd totally blocked police had a struggle to get a Wigan coach through. Can't remember if it was Hyde's or Joe Holt's, but the bitter was wonderful.

Reactions: mat
Butler was a good mate of mine at Moston Brook High School. I remember being in the bookies on Claremont Rd laughing with my mate before the game saying look at Buts price.. 50-1 first scorer..I very nearly had a fiver on him but shit out. When he scored I was fucking ill, but not as ill as losing the game. I was numb after that match, without doubt one of the lowest points of our history. Anyway I seen Buts twice about a year later and like a total fucking ignorant snacked arsed kid,I ignored him both times because then I was blaming that goal for sending us down. How petty hey. Sorry Buts if you're out there. CTID
Off topic but it was the Best thing they ever did with MBHS when they pulled it down. It was falling down a decade earlier when I was there. IIRC it was only meant to be a temp school for 20 years, built 1969 I think.

Back to City though I thought I was lucky and got away with any piss taking after that game because the following week I was in Head Office in Harrow. Guess what...... cnuts get everywhere

Last edited:
Haven't forgotten those but he didnt have a full season when we went down to div 2. I can only speak from my own recollections from that very different time. I felt he brought a new feeling of optimism and possibilities into the club. Together with the promotions, he moved us on from a dark period.
Well said.

What a load of nonsense. Took on a sinking ship and nearly kept us up. We had a very poor team with no money but he completely galvanized the players and support. Of course there were low moments but without Royle we wouldn’t have come straight back up. The season after was one of the best seasons as a City fan which we completely overachieved and as a result we weren’t good enough for the premier league. I’m not having that.
This. Thank you Sir Joe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.