2016/17 Home Kit Blue Shorts are back

I said once that Barca have played in halves, stripes, hoops, red and blue shorts etc. and all i got back was 'oh thats Barca, still identified as Barca'. I'm damned whatever i say it appears.

some are making this argument that the other teams have never been messed with.

Inter had a black shirt with pinstripes once, United had a red/white/white for European games one season, manufacturers change things to what they think will sell and make them money. They arent bothered if they need to mix things around.
The Rags have red/white/white as their home kit every year in the CL. It seems very few ever notice this. Even a rag friend I have who's been going since Sexton hadn't even noticed! So much for iconic kits that can't be altered!

I said once that Barca have played in halves, stripes, hoops, red and blue shorts etc. and all i got back was 'oh thats Barca, still identified as Barca'. I'm damned whatever i say it appears.

some are making this argument that the other teams have never been messed with.

Inter had a black shirt with pinstripes once, United had a red/white/white for European games one season, manufacturers change things to what they think will sell and make them money. They arent bothered if they need to mix things around.

I think that's the thing that hasn't really been pointed out in these threads, rags, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc have to stick to their template as they all play in red so they have to stick with their differences, i.e white shorts, white sleeves, all red, the same with teams like Chelsea and Everton, it's the same colour so they have to stick with their kits, white shorts, blue shorts, white socks. Whereas at the very top level there's only us that wears sky blue in England and only us and Napoli in Europe, the same with Barcelona, nobody wears the same colours as them in their league or in Europe so manufacturers have more of a leeway to mess about with the kits so comparing us to Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc seem a little redundant to me. I don't think it's got anything to do with tradition or history or whatever in that we'll be fairly unique to a certain degree as long as we stick to sky blue. Having said that I first remember watching City in '85 when I was 5 but I still prefer white socks with with sky blue socks with maroon turnovers but if we do have blue shirts, blue shorts, white sock with navy sleeves next year then it will feel like watching a completely different team as that is a very new and bizarre combination.

I think that's the thing that hasn't really been pointed out in these threads, rags, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc have to stick to their template as they all play in red so they have to stick with their differences, i.e white shorts, white sleeves, all red, the same with teams like Chelsea and Everton, it's the same colour so they have to stick with their kits, white shorts, blue shorts, white socks. Whereas at the very top level there's only us that wears sky blue in England and only us and Napoli in Europe, the same with Barcelona, nobody wears the same colours as them in their league or in Europe so manufacturers have more of a leeway to mess about with the kits so comparing us to Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea etc seem a little redundant to me. I don't think it's got anything to do with tradition or history or whatever in that we'll be fairly unique to a certain degree as long as we stick to sky blue. Having said that I first remember watching City in '85 when I was 5 but I still prefer white socks with with sky blue socks with maroon turnovers but if we do have blue shirts, blue shorts, white sock with navy sleeves next year then it will feel like watching a completely different team as that is a very new and bizarre combination.

You completely cancel out your whole argument! We are unique in our colour scheme in the league so we shouldn't be rigid in out kit design... but if we have the rumoured kit it won't be like City!?!

The Barcelona argument is redundant too, as they are the only top-level team you can say chop and change their kit... but then do they? Their first kit was half blue half maroon – stripes after that... with ONE time going back to half & half... in 2012 they wore an awful kit that was more reminiscent of PSG, and of course the bizarre hooped kit this season. But that's no different to Arsenal having the maroon shirt a few years back or the all red shirts of 2008.

You completely cancel out your whole argument! We are unique in our colour scheme in the league so we shouldn't be rigid in out kit design... but if we have the rumoured kit it won't be like City!?!

The Barcelona argument is redundant too, as they are the only top-level team you can say chop and change their kit... but then do they? Their first kit was half blue half maroon – stripes after that... with ONE time going back to half & half... in 2012 they wore an awful kit that was more reminiscent of PSG, and of course the bizarre hooped kit this season. But that's no different to Arsenal having the maroon shirt a few years back or the all red shirts of 2008.

Bayern (all red, blue and red stripes with red shorts anbd white socks, red/white/red),
Dortmund (yellow/black/yellow, yellow/black shirts),
AC Milan (alternate between white and black shorts and socks},
Inter Milan (alternate between white and black shorts and socks),
Roma (red/orange stripes, all red kits,, red/whtie/red}
Porto (blue and white stripes, blue with white centre band)

... (if we are just talking 'top clubs') have all changed their shirt styles, short colours and Socks colours in different seasons and all keep their identity. Its the same with City.

Last edited:

That wasn't my argument, I didn't say we shouldn't be rigid in our kit design at any point, what I said was if we say 'Well look at rags, Arsenal, Liverpool, they have a template they stick to and have kept it for years' that argument doesn't really work for us as we are the only team in the top flight that wears sky blue so we can change our kit about and it probably wouldn't cause confusion whereas teams that play in red/white or dark blue combos don't have that luxury. I haven't really studied Barcelona's kits over the years so I'll take your word for it that they don't change theirs that much, just seems to be different every time I see them play.

Who else filled out the club's latest survey and what did you say about all three of this season's kits?

I said that all three are dreadful

Home - Hated, Away - Disliked, 3rd kit - Indifferent. I was being kind as I wanted to save most vitriol for the home kit !! Expressed the colours I would like, light blue shirt, white shorts, light blue socks for home and 'City red' and black stripes or white shirts and light blue or claret shorts alternate seasons for away/3rd kit. They must know the current kits are shite !!!

Home - Hated, Away - Disliked, 3rd kit - Indifferent. I was being kind as I wanted to save most vitriol for the home kit !! Expressed the colours I would like, light blue shirt, white shorts, light blue socks for home and 'City red' and black stripes or white shirts and light blue or claret shorts alternate seasons for away/3rd kit. They must know the current kits are shite !!!

It was strange that in the survey they only put a photo of the shirt but the question was what do you think of the kit. I don't actually mind the home shirt as a one off I can live with it. But the blue shorts are an assault on the eyes and our history / identity :-)

When the survey asked in which order you liked the three, I had away 1st, third kit as 2nd and home most disliked
And when asked to comment on the third kit, I said the reason this was not the most disliked is for the sole reason our home kit is our identity and this season's is not a City kit

What I wish I had written is that the players on Wednesday when putting on the orange kit, must have been thinking "what on earth have they given us to wear"
The kit should fill a player with pride and make him/her feel good and that orange kit surely doesn't!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.