2017/18 Champions League squad announced

So who drops out if we sign Laporte and Fred?

Pep clearly doesn't trust Mangala... but he's more likely to be fit than Kompany.

Touré looks slow against Bristol City and Swansea so I doubt he'll be much good to us against Barcelona and PSG.

Will be interesting to see if we include Mendy on the list given the injury.

I would leave out Mangala for Laporte.

If Fred comes then him for Yaya, otherwise Zinchenko for Yaya.

Will be interesting to see if we include Mendy on the list given the injury.

I would leave out Mangala for Laporte.

If Fred comes then him for Yaya, otherwise Zinchenko for Yaya.
Fred if he comes is ineligible because he played for Donestsk.

So who drops out if we sign Laporte and Fred?

Pep clearly doesn't trust Mangala... but he's more likely to be fit than Kompany.

Touré looks slow against Bristol City and Swansea so I doubt he'll be much good to us against Barcelona and PSG.
Muric drops out for Grimshaw who is Club trained.
Laporte takes Muric's spot.
Fred is cup tied and replaces Yaya for next season.

Can't see Fred happening this month though.

Edit: Zinchenko needs a spot, possibly in place of Yaya, Mangala or Vinny.

Remove Muric and Mangala.
Add Laporte and Zinchenko.

Grimshaw is fine as third choice goalkeeper. No need to use a foreign spot on Muric.

Assuming the Laporte deal goes through which looks very likely, i'd say we need Zinchenko to cover at left-back more than an additional centre-back. Stones, Otamendi, Laporte, Kompany and Adarabioyo seems good enough given that Walker, Danilo and Fernandinho could fill in there in an emergency. It's just a case of whether the club believes Kompany can stay fit enough to be of more use than Mangala. Personally, i'd omit Mangala. We're going to have to upset someone and he really looks to have no long-term future with us. Maybe we'll even loan him out for the rest of the season if someone will take him.

The only real other alternative i can see is to omit Mendy. Pep said he'd be back for the Champions League semi-finals and i presume that is still the case. Maybe he'll be physically able to play by then but how likely is it that he'll be sharp and match-fit enough to justify his squad place? Only the medical staff will really know. We'll be kicking ourselves if he gets back on form and we can't use him though. The same goes for Kompany. Either scenario still seems more plausible than Mangala developing into a composed, ball-playing centre-half over the next 3 months.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.