2019-2022 Premier League TV Rights

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by MCFC1993, 13 Feb 2018.

1. MCFC1993

MCFC1993

5 of the 7 packages sold, 4 to Sky, 1 to BT for a combined £4.5bn.

Not sure how this compares to previous years but I wish Sky would have bought them all and ended BT.

Interestingly multiple bidders are interested in the final 2 packages, don't know whether that is just BT and Sky or this is where Facebook or Amazon come into it.

2. pudge

pudge

I wonder how much of that £4.5 billion was to get the rights to Bournemouth v Palace and other similar slobberknockers.

3. davymcfc

davymcfc

There was me under the impression that BT were out for domination. Their coverage is shite and the games they get are generally awful.

4. BJL_City

BJL_City

so down half a billion compared to a similar amount of games in the previous rights, but the extra 2 bundles will probably bring it up to the same amount. The TV rights have peaked and those who are running their clubs based on that revenue need to change their business models in the next 3 seasons.

5. BJL_City

BJL_City

what's also telling is Sky have first choice on all weekend games now, BT are firmly second fiddle.

6. MCFC1993

MCFC1993

They've peaked domestically (mainly due to the public not wanting to be conned by subscription packages anymore), probably still some wiggle room internationally though.

7. BJL_City

BJL_City

I can see Amazon bidding for one of the other 2 as it will be simultaneous streaming across all 10 matches, so they will be able to showcase all 20 teams as a special event on their network. Rather than one of the other packages where they'd be obliged to show non-interesting fixtures and that wouldn't draw to a streaming platform. So I can see those midweek bundles being fiercely competitive.

8. BJL_City

BJL_City

Leicester were operating at 80% TV revenue from their title winning season from what I recall, it's too big and dangerous if it goes down.

9. MCFC1993

MCFC1993

Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday games all on one weekend or am I reading this wrong?

10. pee dubya

pee dubya

________
    4 full sets of midweek fixtures, so they can all be shown (no 3 pm embargo) no?