2019-2022 Premier League TV Rights

Thanks, unless it's a football-only deal on offer I'll probably stick with my BT subs and get any Sky games I want to watch via NowTV as I do currently.

I think the idea is to make Now TV an ap accessible directly on BT boxes.

Yeah, I wasnt sure on that aspect - ie I thought it was always the plan to do a split announcement and not give details for all 7 at once - I didnt realise its only because there wasnt sufficient interest at the right price.
I thought id read elsewhere earlier that these last 2 packages could only be bid for by companies who were involved in bidding for the earlier 5 - so maybe that suggests the online companies arent involved - unless they did make 'token' bids for the 5 main slots, just so they could stay involved in these other 2.
Any idea when they'll be announced - has a timescale been given?

There is not really any rush for the FA because the rights don't start for 18 months anyway.

Nobody really knows who has bid or what they have bid but they have a reserve price and if that is not met the FA have said they would consider setting up their own streaming service to let them and the clubs directly offer the games in the packages unsold.

Imagine it will be clear by Friday if the bidders interested at all will up their bids enough to tempt the FA to sell or they go the other option.

We don't know if anyone like Amazon bid, but if they had bid the reserve price we would know and they would have got them. Nobody knows really but it looks as if the interest was there but did not meet the expectations of the FA in terms of price. So they will press all they can to plug as much of the gap between the total price paid now for all the rights and the price paid for the current deal.

They would need to get £600 million for these two midweek/holiday packs but that is very unlikely if clubs only get to show them in a handful of slots as they would under current rules - so whilst there would be 40 games to show that would be worth much less than 40 games that are all individual sale, marketing opportunities in 40 unique slots.

So if they can tweak the number of slots the 40 games can be shown in and get the existing bidders to up their bids enough they will hope to end up not having to say there has been a major decrease in the value of all the rights despite more games being sold.

The FA have misunderstood the value of these simultaneous games over individually scheduled games I suspect. But they will get a bit more money with compromises and they will then be able to say there was not a significant drop in price of the overall deal.

They would like one of the net giants to show their hand I am sure. Possibly another reason for delaying these rights. Because if Sky and BT now have a cosy relationship the next rights will end up also being for less if they have an understanding between the only serious players.

So the FA will be very keen to have another big money player seen as a threat by both BT and Sky in 3 years time to ensure they do not think they can offer modest sums and still win the next set of rights. The last thing the FA want is a downward slope of rights every 3 years despite offering more and more games. Preventing that needs Sky and BT to believe they could lose without offering big.

Brilliant. This means we should get a 16% reduction on our sky sports package.

There is not really any rush for the FA because the rights don't start for 18 months anyway.

Nobody really knows who has bid or what they have bid but they have a reserve price and if that is not met the FA have said they would consider setting up their own streaming service to let them and the clubs directly offer the games in the packages unsold.

Imagine it will be clear by Friday if the bidders interested at all will up their bids enough to tempt the FA to sell or they go the other option.

We don't know if anyone like Amazon bid, but if they had bid the reserve price we would know and they would have got them. Nobody knows really but it looks as if the interest was there but did not meet the expectations of the FA in terms of price. So they will press all they can to plug as much of the gap between the total price paid now for all the rights and the price paid for the current deal.

They would need to get £600 million for these two midweek/holiday packs but that is very unlikely if clubs only get to show them in a handful of slots as they would under current rules - so whilst there would be 40 games to show that would be worth much less than 40 games that are all individual sale, marketing opportunities in 40 unique slots.

So if they can tweak the number of slots the 40 games can be shown in and get the existing bidders to up their bids enough they will hope to end up not having to say there has been a major decrease in the value of all the rights despite more games being sold.

The FA have misunderstood the value of these simultaneous games over individually scheduled games I suspect. But they will get a bit more money with compromises and they will then be able to say there was not a significant drop in price of the overall deal.

They would like one of the net giants to show their hand I am sure. Possibly another reason for delaying these rights. Because if Sky and BT now have a cosy relationship the next rights will end up also being for less if they have an understanding between the only serious players.

So the FA will be very keen to have another big money player seen as a threat by both BT and Sky in 3 years time to ensure they do not think they can offer modest sums and still win the next set of rights. The last thing the FA want is a downward slope of rights every 3 years despite offering more and more games. Preventing that needs Sky and BT to believe they could lose without offering big.

simultaneous games split audiences which doesn't work. Having all 10 games you can show over the weekend is what the TV companies really want, but can't (yet) have.

simultaneous games split audiences which doesn't work. Having all 10 games you can show over the weekend is what the TV companies really want, but can't (yet) have.
But surely the total audience will be higher? If they were showing say West Brom v Watford in midweek, most wouldn't watch that but if they were showing all ten games then most people who would watch football on TV would watch one game.

But surely the total audience will be higher? If they were showing say West Brom v Watford in midweek, most wouldn't watch that but if they were showing all ten games then most people who would watch football on TV would watch one game.

Looking at BT Sport (1 PL weekend game v Simulcast CL Games)

Tuesday 12th September
BT Sport 2 - Rags v Basel - 438k.
BT Sport 3 - Celtic v PSG - 220k.
BT ESPN - Chelsea v Qarabag - 88k.
Total: 746k.

Wednesday 13th September
BT Sport 2 - Liverpool v Sevilla - 481k.
BT Sport 3 - Spurs v Dortmund - 170k.
BT ESPN - Feyenoord v City - 85k.
Total: 736k.

Saturday 17th September
BT Sport 1 - Spurs v Swansea - 586k.

--
Tuesday 26th September
BT Sport 2 - Spartak v Liverpool - 457k.
Bt Sport 3 - City v Shakhtar - 188k.
BT ESPN - APOEL v Spurs - No Data.
Total: 645k + ESPN

Wednesday 27th September
BT Sport 2 - Atletico v Chelsea - 399k.
BT Sport 3 - CSKA v Rags - 327k.
BT ESPN - Anderlecht v Celtic - No Data.
Total: 726k + ESPN

Saturday 30th September
BT Sport 1 - Chelsea v Man City - 984k.

Sunday 1st October
BT Sport 1 - Arsenal v Brighton (12pm) - 346k.

The data gets a bit scratchy after that, but over 2 match days it shows that unless you've got a big game or the traditional big 2 audiences, then your core audience will just spread themselves over games. BT don't suddenly get 1.1/1.2m viewers because they show City/Spurs/Liverpool/Dortmund/Real at the same time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.