23/09/89 The Demolition Derby

Was in the North Stand near the back so not near the vermin that day that sneaked in, remember the footage of the fans with some City fan, haircut like a Rockabilly with glasses on a few rows from me got on most of the goal celebration footage - I didn't ☹️

Had a season ticket that year with lad from Heald Green sorry forgot your name (Paul?) too much alcohol abuse since 89 - more sorry if you're reading - and his dad Vinny who used to be mates with Eric Brook when he was a player, happy days indeed

He did. Said he was the best midfielder on the park: "England class", at a time when it actually meant something.

Can't agree with @Trevor Morley's Tache that it nearly cost Ferguson his job, though. Not even close imo.

I do agree with @Jack74 though. One of the happiest days of my life.
I think if they'd gone on to lose their next couple of games he could have easily gone.

I wonder if Mendy is gonna replicate that header of Hinchliffe's some time this season. I don't know whether the fifth goal was shown in real time or the years have whipped the celluloid through the gate a little quicker but I barely saw the ball after H headed it until it hit the net.
It was a peach of a cross from White. Hit first time without breaking his stride or taking a touch. Loved the Hinchcliffe celebration as well, holding the five fingers (okay, you pedants; four fingers and a thumb) up to the unwashed in the away section of the Kippax.

He did. Said he was the best midfielder on the park: "England class", at a time when it actually meant something.

Can't agree with @Trevor Morley's Tache that it nearly cost Ferguson his job, though. Not even close imo.

Ferguson was 3 years in and flirted with the sack all season. As mentioned earlier in the thread the rags definitely chanted Fergie Out to which we replied with Fergie Stay. How naive we were

Ferguson was 3 years in and flirted with the sack all season. As mentioned earlier in the thread the rags definitely chanted Fergie Out to which we replied with Fergie Stay. How naive we were

100% the Rags were singing Fergie Out. I was next to the Vermin in the Kippax.
Wasn't it that season that they won the FA Cup. Mark Robin's saved his job?

The last line, absolutely.

I had Utd people coming up to me at the time, at the start of the season, mentioning this date coming up , & I'm going "what?" then it turns out they are talking about football & it's the date of the derby & now, from just being people who I happen to know, they have suddenly become rags, telling me what is going to happen.

Then we had them signing the equivalent of about a billion quids worth of players in todays market. And the Michael Knighton show.

Then I arrive at the ground & have to fuck a bunch of scum off out of our seats & they kick off shortly afterwards, bullying innocent people as usual.

Then we beat the ****s 5-1.

Absolutely one of the best days of my life.

It was my first ever derby, and I was sat in the North Stand right next to where it kicked off early in the first half. Bit unnerving as a 12 year old, but it went on to be arguably my favourite ever City game. Certainly up until the last 5/6 years.

"1, 2, 1-2-3, 1-2-3-4, 5-1!"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.