23/09/89 The Demolition Derby

We didn't go because we were at a family friend's wedding. Both bride and groom (and father of the bride) were huge blues so were all gutted when the fixtures came out and it clashed. There were loads of people going into the cars during the service to listen to the radio and check the score. No one could believe it when it went round the congregation that we were 3 up before HT.

My dad took me to the Luton game a week later to make up for it. Although Bish scored another diving header it wasn't quite the same...

Best feeling I've ever had at a derby. Better than 6-1 better than Wemberlee because it was so unexpected. All the arrogant rags I know made it all the sweeter. In the pub before hand they were all larging it going on about you lot had better be back in there afterwards win lose or draw. We were but we're they?

Did this escape everyone's attention yesterday?

I only remembered it myself this morning.

What a wonderful afternoon it was, even for those of us who weren’t at Maine Road that day.

Did this escape everyone's attention yesterday?

I only remembered it myself this morning.

What a wonderful afternoon it was, even for those of us who weren’t at Maine Road that day.
Not at all I live that great game every day when I set my house alarm.........

A red mate from work was on holiday in Europe, and he told me he thought when he was told it was 5-1 that it was United that had scored the five. He didn't believe it until he saw a British newspaper later.
I always remember the five o'clock news and just after on Piccadilly Radio (host James H Reeve), who played a slow tempo version of 'Blue Moon'. Bliss.

We didn't go because we were at a family friend's wedding. Both bride and groom (and father of the bride) were huge blues so were all gutted when the fixtures came out and it clashed. There were
loads of people going into the cars during the service to listen to the radio and check the score. No one could believe it when it went round the congregation that we were 3 up before HT.

My dad took me to the Luton game a week later to make up for it. Although Bish scored another diving header it wasn't quite the same...

Think yourself lucky, I got took to the Brentford league cup match to make up for it. Definitely not the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.