3-5-2 for the rest of the season?

Thanks, that's essentially what I'm trying to say, but it seems I'm not saying it clearly.

One of the more interesting things Pep said on Tuesday was that he perhaps moved on too quickly, and that the players needed more time before he changed things. IMO that in itself suggests that we're moving towards the 3 at the back again, he just went too soon last time and they've just taken a step back in order to take 2 steps forward.

I think he's overestimated the players' tactical ability, due to them adapting quite well initially.

But the Celtic & Spurs games were where our problems started & most of his tinkering was a reaction to that. The first time he'd seen the sort of defensive collapse we are used to.

We conceded 2 to counterattacks, the first goal was nothing other than Otamendi being shite, and the other 2 came after Sané went off, before then he'd kept them completely quiet down his side by pinning them back. Sané also wasn't playing as a wing back, he was simply a winger, that's why it's a 3241 not a 343 or 523. It's funny how the English media obsesses over wide men being wingbacks, in Germany nobody thought Robben or Ribery was a wing back when he played wide in a 3241, they just looked at him, saw he was playing winger and said, "Pep's playing wingers".

3 at the back will come back, you can bet your life on it. It might not be this weekend, it might not be next month, but sooner or later it will come back because Pep loves it, and it gives him the perfect excuse to play fernandinho and Yaya together.

Can you just point me in the direction of where I said we played with wing backs mate?

My point was that when you play 3 at the back without wing backs, you're extremely vulnerable to the counter attack. The perfect example being City vs Chelsea.

If you don't think we've looked vulnerable to counter attacks this season when we've played 3 at the back then I assume you've either not seen the games, or "not been paying attention" ;-)

I disagree, it was not the same as the West Ham game, KDB was playing much higher and wider vs. Everton.

Your own post suggests it's not the formation I'm talking about.

If De Bruyne played much higher and wider, why was Sterling so central?
Where did Zabaleta & Silva play?
Who played where DecBruybe did last night?
Who provided width on both sides?

De Bruyne & Silva central with a deep lying player between them.

Vs Everton it was the same outfield 10 that beat West Ham in a diamond formation.

Last nights formation, the Spurs formation, the early season formation was nothing like Everton.

Last edited:
Can you just point me in the direction of where I said we played with wing backs mate?

My point was that when you play 3 at the back without wing backs, you're extremely vulnerable to the counter attack. The perfect example being City vs Chelsea.

If you don't think we've looked vulnerable to counter attacks this season when we've played 3 at the back then I assume you've either not seen the games, or "not been paying attention" ;-)

We were vulnerable to counter attacks last night & West Ham were clean through twice. That's two goals for Costa.

In this attacking style, if we don't put our chances away & we lose concentration from pressing, we are vulnerable in whatever formation we play.

It's about getting the essentials of Guardiola's football philosophy right. If we do that then formations can change, if we don't, beating West Ham will not matter as we will get our pants pulled down in a week or two.

If sticking to one formation is the best way to teach it, then that should happen. But last night, we would most likely have conceded goals v a better team, so it's not guaranteed it will be the answer, we just hope it is.

Ugh, why are people so keen to see the return of the shite that is 3 at the back? We've been wank whenever we play it and have just got a ridiculously terrifying front 3 sorted.

Ugh, why are people so keen to see the return of the shite that is 3 at the back? We've been wank whenever we play it and have just got a ridiculously terrifying front 3 sorted.
It's simple mate - the games are a bit boring when we're winning 3 or 4-0 and the page count on the post match threads has died a death. By switching to 3-5-2, we can play our centre halves in a system they're uncomfortable with (increasing goals conceded), move our wing forwards to play out of position at wing back (stops them tearing the opposition to shreds) and isolate two small strikers up front without support, makes the game far more even ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.