"33 Years and we're still here..."

Great post PB, but lets all remember that forums do bring the worst out in some people as its away to vent frustration without getting arrested or divorced. Lets face it some of us will feel a complete arse when we re-read what they wrote during a challenging time. NO names to face's help bring out that out of us, we would'nt behave that way in public.

It's not civilised, but its a form of modern day civilisation and its not a bad thing really.

What some of the younger guys need to grasp is that some of us have seen the constant changing of manager over the last 33 years and realised that it has brought us nothing. Why not try something a bit radical - patience, support, team building. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will City be.

The role of the manager is often overstated anyway. What matters is 90 minutes on the pitch each week. Nobody can turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. If we had Jose Mouriho or SAF don't kid yourself that we would be much, if any, better with them in charge with the same group of players. We are building a team, it takes time and the clamour for instant success is unrealistic.

I would sooner, in any case, build a team that will be here for years winning things a la United and not just appoint JM who will probably win a pot and do one. He would be here for 2/3 years tops if he came. So would any other foreigner so I want Hughes to stick around and build me a team that will constantly evolve. You may not like him but he really isn't a bad manager, he just needs the tools to do the job and, whilst we have a decent squad of players, how many of our team would realistacally get into United's, Liverpool's or Chelsea's?

Sorry for all the United references but they are the benchmark we need to aim for. Swapping and changing managers, especially for a big name manager who won't stick around, isn't necessarily the answer. If Huighes is here in 10 years I will be delighted and I too am not his biggest fan. But it will mean he has been a success.

Bring on summer.

philiph20 said:
Good post i will always support MCFC but i reserve my right to loathe Hughes with a passion and hope and pray he is replaced as soon as possible.
Mate, I hated Pearce with the same passion you hate Hughes. It made it worse that I also knew that senior people at the club felt the same way. I couldn't see where we were going apart from the Championship but he was given a fair chance, including two full summers.

And let me give you the example of Ron Saunders back in the 70's. Compared to him, Hughes is like Keegan. He tried to tighten things up after Allison's unsuccessful first spell as manager and we all hated him with a passion, including most of the players. He was sacked at the end of his only season here (he came in part way through) and went to Villa, where he got them promotion to what was then Division 1, the League Cup twice, the First Division title and the European Cup (although he left after the QF of that competition). Maybe, if we'd given him a chance, he could have done the same for us.

squirtyflower said:
Great post.

We are supporters, we support MCFC. Forget all the sniping and support the blues.
Great post, really, really agree that we have to keep the faith, and especially no 'hughes out' chants against Bolton, we've got to get behind the lads, and not boo decisions, and continue to support our club, Hughes is the manager, lets get behind him...CTID!

Good point about Saunders Prestwich Blue but certain Managers are not meant to be at certain clubs i.e Clough at Leeds, Mcmenemy at sunderland and Saunders at City and i firmly believe clueless isn't the Man for us.

bUt Ferguson was a proven Manager and in his second season finished second in the then first division, Hughes hasn't.

philiph20 said:
bUt Ferguson was a proven Manager and in his second season finished second in the then first division, Hughes hasn't.

And in his first season (arrived Nov 86) finished 11th. Should have sacked him for failure to get in top 10 with the squad he had, which finished 4th in a "two horse race" (as the former manager Fat Ron Atkinson called it) the season before. Sounds similar to the Sven/Hughes situation, doesn't it?

;0)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.