5th and 6th officials/refs?

whothefisAlice

Um what exactly is the point?

They need to be paid. They obstruct paying customers/fans views behind the goal or cameramen/media. They don't have a flag but carry some magic wand looking thing (wtf is that?). I don't think they have pieces in their ears. We or somebody or organisation is paying them to do a job that can be done a lot better with a single bloody camera on the post with goalline technology (and soon enough will be I presume). If the ref cannot see a penalty decision then he's fat and a shite referee in my humble opinion, so they aren't there for that.

Let's say there is a goalline decision and he or even she gets it wrong? Piss take that would be.

Be well funny if the/a goalie and the 'guy near the net' kickoff next to the net!!!!

Petr Cech and Valdes must be having right good conversations with their respective 5th/6th officials today!!!

They have earpieces and are good for penalty and offside decisions. UEFA aren't dumb, they think (most) things through.

Why are they on the same side of the pitch as the linesmen? Wouldn't it make sense to stick them where the linesmen can't see too much?

whothefisAlice said:
They obstruct paying customers/fans views behind the goal
Jesus, they're not giants!

But to me, they just seem like a way that UEFA can fob off people complaining about goal-line technology. They can now say that they've 'addressed the situation', without really addressing it.

Viva Rivaldo said:
whothefisAlice said:
They obstruct paying customers/fans views behind the goal
Jesus, they're not giants!

But to me, they just seem like a way that UEFA can fob off people complaining about goal-line technology. They can now say that they've 'addressed the situation', without really addressing it.

Fair enough pal but if I were sat in the front row behind the goalline I would rather not have them there in my line of sight is all im saying on that part of the rant. Linesman are always moving so that's not a problem in my opinion and obviously we can't do away with linesman. But these guys basically stand in the same spot the entire match and if you sit at the front of say a Fulham or West Ham ground or even an Anfield where one is right on the pitch almost it would be an eyesore and pain. In fact I wonder if there's even room for them at some of the really tighter older grounds.

Regardless they're pointless and I wanna know how much they get paid.

mccity said:
Why are they on the same side of the pitch as the linesmen? Wouldn't it make sense to stick them where the linesmen can't see too much?

this point baffles me so much!
if there is a goal/no goal decision to be made they will both have the same view plus the extra official will likely block the view of the linesman!

they need to be moved to the opposite side of the goal for them to be more effective

eshiers1 said:
mccity said:

if there is a goal/no goal decision to be made they will both have the same view plus the extra official will likely block the view of the linesman!

they need to be moved to the opposite side of the goal for them to be more effective

Without getting to technical they were moved to the opposite side as they were obstructing the diagonal that the ref is suppossed to patrol for UEFA matches.

Their one duty this season is to see if the ball crosses the line. Last season they were also allowed to give pens, advise on goal kicks/corners etc. However, after UEFA reviewed it at the end of last season it came out that they had, between them all, made 3 decisions. Two gave corners when the ref was unsighted and one gave a penalty. this was all they were used for in both the Champs league and Europa league combined.

There is a young referee from the North East of England who did this job a couple of times last year and said it was a complete waste of time. And he now refs in the Premiership so should know what he is talking about.

richardtheref said:
eshiers1 said:
mccity said:

Without getting to technical they were moved to the opposite side as they were obstructing the diagonal that the ref is suppossed to patrol for UEFA matches.

Their one duty this season is to see if the ball crosses the line. Last season they were also allowed to give pens, advise on goal kicks/corners etc. However, after UEFA reviewed it at the end of last season it came out that they had, between them all, made 3 decisions. Two gave corners when the ref was unsighted and one gave a penalty. this was all they were used for in both the Champs league and Europa league combined.

There is a young referee from the North East of England who did this job a couple of times last year and said it was a complete waste of time. And he now refs in the Premiership so should know what he is talking about.

I knew they were moved because if the diagonal but they only affected 3 decisions all season!? This whole system seems baffling to me now, even as a ref myself!

If all they are there to do is look for goals then they should still be on the opposite side! They will block the view of the linesmen so why not have them on the opposite side so you can get two views on the incident! If one has a bad view, they both do with this system, imo its floored, especially if they can't advise on any other decisions!

Got my 2nd promotion assessment this afternoon, not sure if I'd rather city win tomorrow or I get a good assessment!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.