6 Nations 2018

That inconsistency relating to grounding extends to RL too.

If you watch a close-up, slow-mo of the video, it appears the ball may have been knocked on just before grounding.

Not really noticed any in this seasons RL, but remember a few from last season where there seemed to be a hint of a finger nail of downward pressure and they were given, then others that were chalked off

For what it's worth, it appears that there is a definition of 'grounding':
  1. The ball can be grounded in in-goal:
    1. By holding it and touching the ground with it; or
    2. By pressing down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck.
Guscott reckons the grounding was fine but a very slow-mo shows a touch from the winger's fingers (Evans). This was presumably after it hit his leg, although it's not clear from Guscott's BBC piece (presumably if it had gone fingers->knee->grounding that would be fine as there would be no knock-on?).

Not really noticed any in this seasons RL, but remember a few from last season where there seemed to be a hint of a finger nail of downward pressure and they were given, then others that were chalked off

The video reffing in RL can be laughable. The refs sometimes seem to refuse to make a decision on anything, and as you say, there doesn't appear to be a lot of consistency.

The video reffing in RL can be laughable. The refs sometimes seem to refuse to make a decision on anything, and as you say, there doesn't appear to be a lot of consistency.

I think a lot of the inconsistancy in last seasons RL resulted from the ref's actually stating what they thought the decision should be before going to the TMO.
In previous seasons the ref's just called in the TMO's and they gave a decision purely based on the replay's.
Last season, with the ref already giving his view, the TMO's started from point of trying to find anything blatant to go against ref's decision, and if they couldn't they just sided with the original decision.
This lead to instances where you'd get 2 very similiar situations, but you'd get different TMO decisions based on what the ref's original decision was, whereas it would have been likely that if the ref's hadn't expressed his decision first, the TMO's would have come up with the same decision/outcomes.

Yeah i agree most think it was a try over here and what i have read all the reports seem to focus a bit on the non try. Would of been a better game if the Welsh got it and more pressure on England. Sure there will always be those little decisions at times that will either go for you or not it happens.

The next few games look good. France v Italy in the Wooden Spoon decider.
Ireland v Wales
Scotland v England

Some good games the last 2 games will be close close games for me.

I think a lot of the inconsistancy in last seasons RL resulted from the ref's actually stating what they thought the decision should be before going to the TMO.
In previous seasons the ref's just called in the TMO's and they gave a decision purely based on the replay's.
Last season, with the ref already giving his view, the TMO's started from point of trying to find anything blatant to go against ref's decision, and if they couldn't they just sided with the original decision.
This lead to instances where you'd get 2 very similiar situations, but you'd get different TMO decisions based on what the ref's original decision was, whereas it would have been likely that if the ref's hadn't expressed his decision first, the TMO's would have come up with the same decision/outcomes.

Fair point.
It was usually the onfield bottling that irritated.

Yep, not witnessed any this season but it has been a problem for years.

My own personal opinion is that as long as the hand (or fingers) are on the the ball and it doesn't bounce, it's a fair grounding.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.