A HG Keeper

The only reason I can't see this happening is if Pep comes next year. At Bayern last season he had Manuel Neur and Pepe Reina as his 2 keepers so I doubt he would be happy with Joe Hart and Rob Green. I think we'll sign that Argie Geronimo Rulli to compete with Joe when Caballero leaves.

For me it'd have to be an older GK as I fully believe Angus Gunn is the man to succeed Joe Hart.

Begovic - If he is happy to sit behind Courtois at Chavs, sit behind Joe at City.

He'll find himself as first team keeper earlier too (assuming he keeps up the standard) as Joe is Older than Courtois.
Mate, Joe is only 28. If his standard doesn't drop he will be our number one for at least the next 7 years.

Meh, we've now got 3 key homegrown players already, leaving only space for one more (unless we went for a club grown player, or want to give ourselves a CL headache again). Not much of an issue anymore now we look to be getting Sterling. Someone like Keiran Westwood would be a bonus, given that he's club trained so is the ultimate freebie, but he's just started to rebuild his career at Wednesday after spending too long sitting on premier league benches, I doubt he'd want to go back to not playing.

This is the one, let him play at SW for a few years then bring him back in. In the interim no reason why we cant just pick up a diferent older keeper every year just to keep things ticking over.
No reason to waste big money or a foreign spot on a keeper.

On the face of it you'd say it makes sense, however, for Champion's League purposes it isn't 17 foreign plus 8 homegrown, it's 17 foreign plus 8 homegrown, or which a minimum of 4 must be club grown. We've already got Hart, Clichy (and Sterling it would seem) who are homegrown, but not club grown. As we were after Delph too then we clearly didn't see a homegrown keeper as a target. We'll likely sign another homegrown outfield player before the window closes. Where we need to address the squad is the 4 club grown players category. People talk about Lopes and Denayer filling those roles, however at this stage neither actually needs to be included in the squad as Lopes is 19, and Denayer just 20, so they can be included on top of the 25 man squad. As time passes, and the Academy starts to produce more players it'll become less and less of a problem. In fact, there's probably very little we can do in the short term. There's not really anyone out there, who would class as club trained, and be good enough to be part of City's squad. Schmeichel would be an interesting backup keeper option, but he'd not come here to be a backup to Hart, again, plus he seems to have fairly negative things to say about City. Trippier would have been a possibility, but he's at Spurs now.

On the face of it you'd say it makes sense, however, for Champion's League purposes it isn't 17 foreign plus 8 homegrown, it's 17 foreign plus 8 homegrown, or which a minimum of 4 must be club grown. We've already got Hart, Clichy (and Sterling it would seem) who are homegrown, but not club grown. As we were after Delph too then we clearly didn't see a homegrown keeper as a target. We'll likely sign another homegrown outfield player before the window closes. Where we need to address the squad is the 4 club grown players category. People talk about Lopes and Denayer filling those roles, however at this stage neither actually needs to be included in the squad as Lopes is 19, and Denayer just 20, so they can be included on top of the 25 man squad. As time passes, and the Academy starts to produce more players it'll become less and less of a problem. In fact, there's probably very little we can do in the short term. There's not really anyone out there, who would class as club trained, and be good enough to be part of City's squad. Schmeichel would be an interesting backup keeper option, but he'd not come here to be a backup to Hart, again, plus he seems to have fairly negative things to say about City. Trippier would have been a possibility, but he's at Spurs now.

There's Wayne Hennessey I suppose, but that's a fairly big drop in standard from Caballero.

There's Wayne Hennessey I suppose, but that's a fairly big drop in standard from Caballero.

Yeah, Hennessey, and Westwood, are 2 options, but as you say, definitely worse than our current backup. The question you'd need to ask is, if the worse came to the worse, and Hart suffered a serious injury, would you want Hennessey, or Westwood, playing week in, week out, for City. I'd suggest most would say something akin to "fuck no"!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.