A level result day

Year out as she has no idea what to do and she doesn't want to go on a course that she's not certain of and be lumbered with the debt
Smart girl. Teenagers are asked to make to many big decisions, too soon. Few people really know what they want to do or be when they 'grow up'. Unless she wants to go into a vocation that requires a particular qualification (the sciences, engineering, etc.) my advice for her is to pick a subject that she finds challenging and fulfilling. She's going to spend three or more years doing it, and most likely she or you will be paying for it, so she might as well pick something that she'll enjoy.

What he said.

I also fucked mine up. Returned to education later, got them and got a good degree.

It's a kick in the balls, but that's life and the deal.

I didn't even do A-levels and did terrible in my BTEC in IT, I think my result was equivalent to 3 D's at A-level or something. I would have done A-levels but didn't even do well enough in my GCSE's to do them at the college I wanted to go to. I was told there and then that I had to pick a BTEC instead. Despite all of this I did the BTEC and was then pushed down the university route to do a degree in IT but I hated it and dropped out to work alsorts of jobs for a year.

After that I started again down a different route into something I became interested in which was engineering. I did a foundation degree at a college followed by the full degree and was funded to do a Masters at a top uni. After a brief stint at a local engineering company starting from the bottom I am now working for a massive company in the aerospace industry, something I never thought would be possible for someone with my background.

Most kids have it in their heads thanks to the colleges and universities that they will end up in a £30k a year investment banker job or on one of these ridiculous graduate schemes just for having a piece of paper. The reality is less than 1% will get those jobs and 99% end up in jobs they could of got without wasting 3 years and £28k going to university. In my office there are probably only a handful of actual graduates who got the job thanks to their degree, the rest are time-served, ex-forces, ex-apprentices and those like me who have more or less started at or near the bottom.

For those getting their results good luck but seriously don't worry too much about it.

Studying for my A-levels was the most stressful time of my life. I can't watch any news items on it without thinking about what I went through. Poor sods.

I still have the occasional nightmare about turning up for an exam having not revised.

So how's everyone's kids got on?
I've a relieved daughter. She thought she's failed miserably but achieved 2 x B's and a C in Chemistry

Well done to her; same grades as my lad, he's a bit disappointed that he didn't get an A as he had an A* at As level but of course they don't count now. Important thing is he is accepted in his university of choice doing Politics.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.