"A Major Concern" & Crowd Control at Maine Road

Gary James

On another thread Didsbury Dave talked of the City prog from 1985-86 whose entire front page was a warning to fans about pitch invasions.

"A Major Concern" (14/12/85 V Coventry) gave the impression that City fans were constantly causing problems etc. It actually followed a celebratory pitch invasion by 200 in the Northern semi-final of the FMC!

The warning explained that perimeter fencing - already at 2.4m - would be increased to 4.4 metres in height (at least!) if fans continued to invade the pitch.

This was way over the top of course - and shows how football chairmen viewed fans in the days before Hillsborough. I felt it deserved its own thread as the way fans were treated was appalling.

I know some of us get carried away today with our treatment, but the 1980s in particular were bad for fans. Our loyalty back then was treated with higher fences; poor facilities and so on.

Segregation and fencing started to appear at Maine Road in the mid 70s (some temporary segregation occurred for one or two high profile games earlier) but by 1989 every stand had a 2.4m fence in front of it (or at least a combination of perimeter wall with fence on top).

I covered all of this in one of my books "Farewell To Maine Road" a few years back. The book's been out of print for a few years now, but I've posted some images of the section on Crowd Control on my facebook page:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/photo.php?fbid=10150209171272816&set=pu.289818652815&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/ph ... =1&theater</a>

It provides an interesting comparison with today - one image shows the vast no mans land between City & Utd fans in the 1990 derby.

Nice post Gary.

NOW WHEN IS THE NEW BOOK COMING OUT?!

1293981608540.jpg

Gary James said:
On another thread Didsbury Dave talked of the City prog from 1985-86 whose entire front page was a warning to fans about pitch invasions.

"A Major Concern" (14/12/85 V Coventry) gave the impression that City fans were constantly causing problems etc. It actually followed a celebratory pitch invasion by 200 in the Northern semi-final of the FMC!

The warning explained that perimeter fencing - already at 2.4m - would be increased to 4.4 metres in height (at least!) if fans continued to invade the pitch.

This was way over the top of course - and shows how football chairmen viewed fans in the days before Hillsborough. I felt it deserved its own thread as the way fans were treated was appalling.

I know some of us get carried away today with our treatment, but the 1980s in particular were bad for fans. Our loyalty back then was treated with higher fences; poor facilities and so on.

Segregation and fencing started to appear at Maine Road in the mid 70s (some temporary segregation occurred for one or two high profile games earlier) but by 1989 every stand had a 2.4m fence in front of it (or at least a combination of perimeter wall with fence on top).

I covered all of this in one of my books "Farewell To Maine Road" a few years back. The book's been out of print for a few years now, but I've posted some images of the section on Crowd Control on my facebook page:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/photo.php?fbid=10150209171272816&set=pu.289818652815&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/GaryJames4#!/ph ... =1&theater</a>

It provides an interesting comparison with today - one image shows the vast no mans land between City & Utd fans in the 1990 derby.
Bernard Halford had the answer <titter>...

halford840901.jpg

neil jung said:

I like the fact that it was the Chelsea fans stood up in the Main Stand that was the final straw - how dare fans who have bought tickets provided to them via legitimate ticketing arrangements stand up during a game!

Surely, the bigger issue there was about away allocations.

Gary James said:
neil jung said:

I like the fact that it was the Chelsea fans stood up in the Main Stand that was the final straw - how dare fans who have bought tickets provided to them via legitimate ticketing arrangements stand up during a game!

Surely, the bigger issue there was about away allocations.

I remember the Chelsea game vividly (If it was the 2-0 Friday night defeat). I was in the Kippax and my Dad, who had his season ticket in the wooden bench section of the Main Stand at the North Stand end, would not move from his seat on principle despite being surrounded by the Chelsea mob. I was terrified for his safety, but eventually the Police moved him and his mates (about 4 of them) out of the block.

We don't need to worry about such things now.

Most premier league football fans are too old, creaky and middle class to invade the pitch.

I'm 51 and I can't be too much older than the average fan these days.

If going to football in the 70s and 80s is compared to going to see a punk band in a scruffy club for £1.50 then going today is a bit like going the MEN arena to see someone like Barbara Streisand and paying £100.

It's worked out well for me in a way as I enjoyed the fun as a youngster and now going to COMS is just right for someone of my age.

I feel sorry for young lads today though. It must seem a bit tame at matches for them.

Damocles said:
Nice post Gary.

NOW WHEN IS THE NEW BOOK COMING OUT?!

1293981608540.jpg

You can send me any money you like - I won't turn it away!

On the books - my publishers have some details: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/Jameswardpublishing#!/Jameswardpublishing?sk=notes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.facebook.com/Jameswardpublis ... g?sk=notes</a>

The books are probably already listed on Amazon and elsewhere. My publishers expect to do a subscriber offer later this close season.

I'll obviously be posting news, sample covers & pages and other material on my own facebook page as we get closer to publication as well.

What a brilliant thread. I've never seen Bernard Halford's article before. I'm pretty sure Mr Swales penned one or two like that too. When the Platt Lane was given over to away fans that was on the back of trouble in this era. What year was that, Gary? My guess is around 1986. I think he wrote a similar article in the program talking about how these thugs had nothing to do with Manchester City.

I can remember being stood in the singer's corner of the Kippax, I think it was against Everton, and there was a big chant of "We want the Platt Lane Back", someone shouted "Let's go and fucking get it then" and there was a big mock-surge down the terrace.

There was indeed a time in the early to mid 80s when City's "Mayne Line" crew as they were called for a while congregated in the Platt Lane, next to the away fans. This was when the little round pin badges marked you out as one of the "boys", and the fashion was longer hair, sometimes permed at the back, and woolen jumpers in muted colours. Leeds broke the fence down one game and piled through, and there was a big scrap down there. I also remember fans of the opposition getting chased out of there.

I can also remember the fences arriving. They stayed for a while after Hillsbrough, if I remember, with luminous coloured exit gates. Fans were all treated like shite in those days, herded to away grounds like cattle. It wasn't unusual to hear opposition coppers saying "You're going to get your fucking heads kicked in" when you got off the train.

neil jung said:
Gary James said:

halford840901.jpg

^ plus ca change.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.