A mark of respect for the Manchester terror attack?

We have the Boxing Day (or nearest to it) minute's silence every year - which has incorrectly been changed to an applause in the last few years - to remember the bad events from the year past.

We need to get rid of all these game-after-game applause and things from football and just use that end of year silence as remembrance

why not just do both - the boxing day minutes silence and this. this is one of the worst things ever to happen in manchester and i think its right that we as manchester city fans show our respect now in the first home game since it happened

I could understand applause for someone you'd applaud if they were alive but the idea of applauding because someone's been murderered seems frankly macabre.

thought the tributes were brilliant tonight. very fitting and moving. dont look back in anger should be played before every home game imo and the bee flags/emblem looked class. well done city and a brilliant show of respect from the fans.

Can we have one for my father in law on the 90th minute as he was 90 when he died? He hadn't been to see City for decades mind but now I've suggested it you'll all feel bad not to join in.

My dad croaked a couple of years ago aged 80. Took me to my first game at Maine road, loved football and loved some of our newer players (silva/kompany/kdb). The last thing he. or i for that matter, would want is a 'tribute' at the game.

Got sent a facebook request for a minutes silence last night for some random bloke i've never seen.met or heard of.
Enough is enough surely?

thought the tributes were brilliant tonight. very fitting and moving. dont look back in anger should be played before every home game imo and the bee flags/emblem looked class. well done city and a brilliant show of respect from the fans.

Agreed.

I'm getting fed up of football matches being turned into remembrance ceremonies. When did football become the standard bearer for artificial displays of mass grief? What has football got to do with wars? What purpose does it serve? Do the police, paramedics, medical staff, stewards and those others who witnessed and dealt with the terrible events 3 months suddenly feel so much better because 50,000 football fans clapped for a minute.

It seems Diana's death ten years ago turned us into grief junkies, ready to weep and wail en masse for things we only saw on TV about people we didn't know.

I go to games to watch football. If I want to show my respects to someone who's died or the soldiers who gave their lives then I'll go to the funeral, write to the family or go to a Cenotaph ceremony. But nowadays every game turns into a mini-remembrance ceremony for someone most have never heard of or met.

Give it a fucking rest.

I'm getting fed up of football matches being turned into remembrance ceremonies. When did football become the standard bearer for artificial displays of mass grief? What has football got to do with wars? What purpose does it serve? Do the police, paramedics, medical staff, stewards and those others who witnessed and dealt with the terrible events 3 months suddenly feel so much better because 50,000 football fans clapped for a minute.

It seems Diana's death ten years ago turned us into grief junkies, ready to weep and wail en masse for things we only saw on TV about people we didn't know.

I go to games to watch football. If I want to show my respects to someone who's died or the soldiers who gave their lives then I'll go to the funeral, write to the family or go to a Cenotaph ceremony. But nowadays every game turns into a mini-remembrance ceremony for someone most have never heard of or met.

Give it a fucking rest.
Agreed but believe it or not it's 20 years since Diana popped her clogs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.