A mark of respect for the Manchester terror attack?

I'm not normally a fan of a minute's applause because there seems to be one at almost every home game these days for someone that has passed away but the Arena attack was a devastatingly huge event in our city's history and as it was our first home game since it happened I felt it was right that it was marked in some way. I'd have probably preferred a minute's silence but was happy to go along with the majority on this occasion.

Also, those saying that the attack had nothing to do with football are missing the point. This was an attack on our freedoms and it happened right in the heart of the city. Our city. Not to mention the fact that many football fans are also concert-goers and vice versa. While I'm not one that would attend an Ariana Grande concert, I'm going to 3 gigs at the Arena in November. Are we saying that if an attack happened at a football match in future then those attending a gig shouldn't pay tribute to the victims? At future matches, should we only ever remember those that are connected to football? If that's the case, then maybe we should scrap the annual Remembrance Day tributes. I wouldn't mind but, aside from that, football has remembered loads of non-football related tragedies down the years - Dunblane, Ken Bigley, and the 2 girls murdered by that evil bastard Huntley all spring to mind where I've been at a match and there was a minute's silence. The Ken Bigley silence was at an England v Wales match at Old Trafford and the other 2 were at City games.

I get that these tributes are a bit OTT these days but last night's was for what can only be described as an extraordinary event for our city, so it was appropriate that something was done. It was a one-off and we won't be repeating it every home game so I don't see the issue.

perfectly put mate. i completely agree with what you've said. i dont like all the minute silence and tributes we seem to have most games now, but this is one of the worst things ever to happen in manchester, its only right and appropriate that we as Manchester city fans remember/show our respect. the attack itself has had a huge effect for many people ( friends sister was there) and really brought manchester together. i think it would have been strange not to have some kind of tribute.

Noticed that and felt it was of poor taste... but then again Scousers are devoid of taste the philistines.

All's fair in love and war - they paid their respects when it mattered so I'm not arsed really. Anyway, we got our own back after the final whistle with a big fuck off "You scouse bastards" chant which went down rather well with some of their fans - so much so that it booted off on the segregation. Games against Everton never seem to pass off without some incident or other

All's fair in love and war - they paid their respects when it mattered so I'm not arsed really. Anyway, we got our own back after the final whistle with a big fuck off "You scouse bastards" chant which went down rather well with some of their fans - so much so that it booted off on the segregation. Games against Everton never seem to pass off without some incident or other

I really hate generalising any group of people but I just cannot stand Scousers in the main. 80% of those I come across are absolute scrotes and Jeremy Kyle contestant-like.

Yet again there was a blonde skank in the queue for the buses calling loads of City fans "****s". I asked her to watch her language as there were kids there and she told me to fuck off.

I do love the Beatles though and my mate's Scouse dad is a nice bloke.

Personally, I think the magnitude of the Arena bomb is significant enough to be marked at the first football game at City's stadium since then. I would take issue with having a minute's clapping, as I think it is symbolic of the mawkish 'look at us' faux grief culture that has become a growing movement in both society and football recently. A minute's silence is a far more dignified, solemn and meaningful tribute to a devastating event that touched everyone in the city. I understand that some people argue that clapping avoids silence being interrupted, and I've been at plenty of games in the past where a silence was deliberately or unintentionally interrupted (funnily enough this usually causes other idiots to make it even worse by shouting abuse and ruining the silence in order to show how offended they are). But I've also been at many games where silences have been perfectly observed and I trust people to do the decent thing for a tragic event like this.

However, I have to say that minutes applause that appear at what seems like 50% of games these days are not only inappropriate but also crass. There should never be a minute's applause or any sort of commemoration during a match for an individual City fan. Dozens of City fans will pass away each week and their worth in life of their 'status' as a City fan should not be determined by whether they had enough social media followers to get something like that going or whether their mates were good enough on message boards to get something going.

Personally, I think all these campaigns to get minute's applause going at matches are quite selfish. If a blue who is close to me passed away and the same week I saw people clapping for some other ordinary blue who had passed away, I would be pretty angry about it. It seeks to mark some as more special than others.

On the part of those who are always keen to join in with clapping for someone or something that they are not aware of or are barely touched by, there is an unpleasant under current of mawkish 'look how I know what really matters' about the whole thing when, fundamentally, tacky 'tributes' like this are not 'what matters' at all and count for very little. There's something about football crowds around the country at present where they are almost too keen to hold 'tributes' at any possible opportunity and, persoanlly, I think it is more about the crowd and how they want to be seen than about the subjects of the tribute - who barely anyone there knows. I would ask those who are the most vocal and publicly solemn about these things to consider how often they get up off their backsides to go out of their way to attend memorial events or give up their time to make a tangible contribution to help people of famillies affected by death. Those are things that make a difference and are important. Not clapping at a football match.

As I say, I think the Arena bombing should definitely have been marked but, in general and in relation to other matters, I trust the club judge what is important enough to Manchester to be worthy of marking and they are, historically, pretty decent at that. And when the club organises something it will inevitable be done with more dignity and mean much more than some half hearted clapping.

Personally, I think the magnitude of the Arena bomb is significant enough to be marked at the first football game at City's stadium since then. I would take issue with having a minute's clapping, as I think it is symbolic of the mawkish 'look at us' faux grief culture that has become a growing movement in both society and football recently. A minute's silence is a far more dignified, solemn and meaningful tribute to a devastating event that touched everyone in the city. I understand that some people argue that clapping avoids silence being interrupted, and I've been at plenty of games in the past where a silence was deliberately or unintentionally interrupted (funnily enough this usually causes other idiots to make it even worse by shouting abuse and ruining the silence in order to show how offended they are). But I've also been at many games where silences have been perfectly observed and I trust people to do the decent thing for a tragic event like this.

However, I have to say that minutes applause that appear at what seems like 50% of games these days are not only inappropriate but also crass. There should never be a minute's applause or any sort of commemoration during a match for an individual City fan. Dozens of City fans will pass away each week and their worth in life of their 'status' as a City fan should not be determined by whether they had enough social media followers to get something like that going or whether their mates were good enough on message boards to get something going.

Personally, I think all these campaigns to get minute's applause going at matches are quite selfish. If a blue who is close to me passed away and the same week I saw people clapping for some other ordinary blue who had passed away, I would be pretty angry about it. It seeks to mark some as more special than others.

On the part of those who are always keen to join in with clapping for someone or something that they are not aware of or are barely touched by, there is an unpleasant under current of mawkish 'look how I know what really matters' about the whole thing when, fundamentally, tacky 'tributes' like this are not 'what matters' at all and count for very little. There's something about football crowds around the country at present where they are almost too keen to hold 'tributes' at any possible opportunity and, persoanlly, I think it is more about the crowd and how they want to be seen than about the subjects of the tribute - who barely anyone there knows. I would ask those who are the most vocal and publicly solemn about these things to consider how often they get up off their backsides to go out of their way to attend memorial events or give up their time to make a tangible contribution to help people of famillies affected by death. Those are things that make a difference and are important. Not clapping at a football match.

As I say, I think the Arena bombing should definitely have been marked but, in general and in relation to other matters, I trust the club judge what is important enough to Manchester to be worthy of marking and they are, historically, pretty decent at that. And when the club organises something it will inevitable be done with more dignity and mean much more than some half hearted clapping.

Clapping is done all over the world. In many countries Italy Spain etc its their culture. People clap at funerals. They are applauding, saluting people's lives. We always had a minutes silence here and that would have been appropriate but there was not one organised by the club / premier league so it was down to the fans to lead the way and no way anyone can say it was half hearted. It was heartfelt and the applause was a sign of respect. So many minutes silences also get interrupted these days I think this is one reason why this culture from abroad started popping up here

I for one was glad that it happened, I was one of the first to stand and applaud in our section and virtually everyone else stood and clapped to show that we, even when we are out enjoying ourselves, still are not too aloof to remember those that are not now here and those who's lives have changed forever. Also I thought it a great touch for the club to put the Bee on the big screen . Congrats to whoever arranged that. Thoughts go to all that suffered.

Agree with all of that, top post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.