A watch as an investment

U-Boat have shot up in value over the last 24 months. You could buy one for £300/£400, now over a grand. Also big big watch so you're limited with sell on.

Again I wouldn't buy new.

First interested about 18 months ago and in the time since, new prices have absolutely rocketed as you say.

Thanks mate.

I can't see the value in saying it's an investment. He's only ever going lose money on it especially as you need the watch serviced every now and then.
I'd stay away from Rolex their customer service is shocking now so go for Patek Philippe instead. Personally, I wouldn't bother getting one though

The only great issue you need to address is da fear of falling down one of your dark n dangerous furrows.
And no I dont care for dat oral love.
And stop derailing my new pal Bobs watch thread please.
Met loads of new chums on here and am even considering buying something fancy myself so these threads are influential and above all informing.
I have seen similar makes down Cheetham hill and the one I have my eye on is called a YES watch as I follow Ric Wakeman and Jon Anderson.
I am talking about the more complex and expensive ones and have my eyes transfixed on a Zulu.

Have a quick read of this .. ..

Thousands of years ago Babylonian astronomers discovered that, as the night sky passed, 12 distinct star constellations rose above the horizon line at fairly equal intervals.
We know it as the Zodiac with the twelve Signs. When to meet Anata under the starry sky could now be carefully planned,
unless of course the fog rolled in.

Why not divide the day into 12 hours as well? Their glassblowing skills were first rate, and soon the hour glass business
flourished. The accuracy could have been so-so, but the 24 hour conscience of time had seen the light of day.
Centuries ago, British sailors recognized the dire need for a fixed time keeping method to safely navigate the vast oceans,
and in 1884, at the Washington conference, the 24 hour GMT system was adopted as the first worldwide time standard.
Some called it Zulu time. In 1986 UTC replaced GMT as the world standard. UTC is radio controlled and is based on
atomic measurements rather than the earth's rotation.

To honor the forefathers of time, the YES ZULU embraces all their revelations and is possibly the most comprehensive
interpretation of time that money can buy. It relates both natural and modern time back to that ancient celestial
24 hour cycle. At a glance, you see times for sunrise and sunset, solar high noon, moonrise and moonset, moon phase,
military time and, of course, hours, minutes and seconds in AM/PM or 2400 time mode, for wherever you are in the world.
Sweet baby jesus eh ?

2wqvjvq.jpg

As all YES watches the ZULU has been programmed for the next century and automatically updates for DST.
It has been pre- programmed for nearly 600 cities worldwide and can be set by latitude and longitude.
It keeps digital time for 2 locations simultaneously, and has a stopwatch with lap-time, a timer, a countdown and a past
and future date solunar calculator. The 24 hour bezel can be set to keep time for a third timezone.

148nlmt.jpg

The model I am interested in I may have to source second hand and it's the MK5191
Here is Honest reviews giving the lowdown on it.

https://www.watchreport.com/review-of-the-yes-zulu-watch/

And a genuine question if I may Gerald ?
Why do you always post strictly from 4am to 5 am and then just completely dissapear from the radar.
Are you really a farmer and have to tend stock ?
My grandfather had friends that lived in the emerald isles until they couldnt handle it anymore and moved to Manny.
And why pray do you keep a pig in your parlour because we have a different thread on here for that ?.

Are you anywhere near craggy island kerrys ring dublin or lourdes mate ? I dont know any more places over there.
I stayed at the Arlington hotel once right on the river livvie.
International flags hanging outside and all manner of medieval armoury hanging up inside.
Every night they had river dancing and the atmospherics were immense pal.
Even the locals would come in as its the best place in Dublin for the crac, have a look on youtube.
Right acrosss the river is the temple bar but they will have you over for a fat lad with their prices which are around 7 euros a scoop.
That black stuff they sell that fills you up with iron was around circa 8 euros.

The next time you come on this thread mate please review a watch as this is a thread only for timepieces or as us afficienados say the Horology thread.
Or maybe your still on sundials over there ?

A pig in a parlour you say ?

202gsx.jpg
Mummy !

No problem. I'm using my PC now so I can add a bit more detail. Watches as an investment...? Well, these are some solid basics for him to have a look at, offered freely and without prejudice because he is a blue!

Best choices, bearing in mind that he will need to keep them for several years to realise money back or a small profit. Rolex is the only place I would look to as they have a very restrictive pricing policy that makes discounts hard to achieve on sort after models and they then fuel this situation further by raising the prices on new watches every now and again. Example, a watch that was £6,600 RRP in 2010 is now in the same jeweller's window for £9,900. Two tone Submariner, that is a fact. A watch bought then could have been had for £5,400 if you haggled hard...stainless steel watches won't yield much of a discount if any, but any watch with precious metal in it will...go figure. Now, the same watch in good condition will get a bid of around £7,000 on the 2nd hand market, a bit more privately. Your £5,4000 savings you placed at the local building society are not worth over £7,000 today, for sure. Thus watches are a good investment...if you pick right and buy right. Remember that they are also mechanical things that keep themselves going...ingenious things that are almost alive. This means they need servicing at around £500 a time...I have a 7 tear version that has not required a service yet and keeps almost perfect time, all the time. Incredible really. Reckon on 5-10 years for each service, depending on all sorts of boring factors.

Other watches that are well worth buying with a view to keeping and letting the value hold or improve...there are many others, but these are solid bets, in my opinion.

Rolex 116610LV...known as The Hulk. He could try a 16610 Kermit but these are wildly priced collector's pieces these days.
Rolex 116710 BLNR...known as The Batman. Superb watch is the Rolex GMT, very strong value.
Rolex 116520 Daytona, either black or white dials. Always sought after...always.
Any variant of Rolex Submariner in stainless steel. Even two tone if you buy at the right price.

All the above are stainless steel. The top 3 selections are hard to find brand new. Hope this is of interest, PM me if you need more. But that Hublot thing, it is a monstrosity. They also have a vague connection with The Swamp...just like Sharp or Vodafone or anyone who has sponsored that pile of shit, I refuse to have anything to do with them. Irrational but I despise The Rags with almost complete dedication.

Or buy a Casio. They are more accurate...digital watches just are.

Kind regards,

Michael.
Thankyou for taking the time to write this. Really helpful xx

Thankyou for taking the time to write this. Really helpful xx

I too thought Michaels thread was helpful and informative.
If I was in the market for a timepiece in excess of 5k then the above info would have assisted me by keeping my feet firmly transfixed on terra firma.
We have to stand back after heavy research and absorbtion and take little breathers to evaluate that what we have just gleened.
This allows us to make a more wiley and informative decision lest we buy in haste and repent at our leisure.

I refer back to my original post on perceived value that if your lad even draws a leveller in 10 years and the watch affords him much pleasure then that will be true testiment to the sum of it's mechanical parts.
All that glitter aint gold and that applys to any investment vehicle out there including property and shares.
If the watch he eventually aquires makes him well happy then his his purchase will have been a sound one .

I am not sure if you read all of the cellar forums but we are searching for our own nirvana by means of a mass medium entertainment machine
Not as an investment vehicle but for something to make us both happy.
Our last telly cost £1200 ten years ago so our statistics after calculating it's current resale value @circa £200 now afford us a grin factor of only £2 a week.
Accumulation of the mind and not just of the fiscal pocket is of equal importance Robert.

If pertinent I would like to mention that since attending Ric's modular courses on Concise Articulate Posting (cap) I can now see the wood from the trees.

And when wiggly worms as above are hooked and baited for my kind perusal I now possess the nessasary skills to maintain a sense of balance by applying a modicum of self restraint.

For any Cellarites unaware these sessions offer full flexibility and are available to all of our Moons inhabitants on a first come first served basis.
Make yourself a better poster by applying now..You owe it to yourselves !

2gtomed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If pertinent I would like to mention that since attending Ric's modular courses on Concise Articulate Posting (cap) I can now see the wood from the trees.

And when wiggly worms as above are hooked and baited for my kind perusal I now possess the nessasary skills to maintain a sense of balance by applying a modicum of self restraint.

For any Cellarites unaware these sessions offer full flexibility and are available to all of our Moons inhabitants on a first come first served basis.
Make yourself a better poster by applying now..You owe it to yourselves !

2gtomed.jpg
I usually just get a warning and told to shut the fuck up

Do we know what was eventually purchased......just out of interest?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.