Advice on living and working in a non-English speaking country?

CTID Chris

I know that there are many here who have worked abroad, and I'm hoping that this thread can be of interest to a wide range of people on here.

My missus and I have discussed relocating to a European country to live and work for a good stint. To learn a foreign language would be of great benefit; not only to us, but our daughter becoming fluent in a useful foreign language would offer great opportunities to her in the future.

What advice can you give? Hopefully from personal experience, be it good or bad and what you wish you had done instead.

Specifically:-
  • Learning the language: are the foundations enough prior to moving, or would advanced knowledge be necessary from the get-go?
  • Securing work: move and find a job, find a job and move, or transfer within an organisation from a UK office to a European office?
  • What country: your views, experiences or knowledge on European countries or specific cities where an expat can thrive (or, at least, survive).

As little or much as you can add would be a great help! A very broad question, I know, with very little basis.

A heck of a lot of this depends on where you are gravitating towards moving.

Where do you have in mind? i can give advice on Amsterdam and Holland to an extent.
The main hassle i found was sorting getting in a doctors and such, i think this is a universal issue abroad though in general terms.
In Germany and nordic countries for example you will be ok moving before learning the language, towards eastern Europe though i think this changes.

Learning the language: are the foundations enough prior to moving, or would advanced knowledge be necessary from the get-go?
You'll need a good working knowledge depending on the country. I moved to Budapest for a year and my Hungarian would have made it nearly impossible if so many hadn't spoken German. Research the specific country before you go, but regardless if you have a decent working knowledge of the language you'll step up to fluency in no time through conversing in it day in day out.
Securing work: move and find a job, find a job and move, or transfer within an organisation from a UK office to a European office?
Depends on the country you're working in and their average wage etc. When I went to Budapest I was sent there by an Irish company I worked for, getting paid an Irish wage in Budapest was nice :)
What country: your views, experiences or knowledge on European countries or specific cities where an expat can thrive (or, at least, survive).
Out of the cities I've visited and or worked in I'd recommend Sevilla.

Very much depends on what line of work you are in.

If you work for an international company or in an industry where English is the primary business language then learning the local language is secondary to your work. But if not, you will need to be fluent in the local language to get a job. The idea that you can move somewhere without speaking the language and join the local job market with a hope of getting a job ahead of someone who is fluent is a non starter.
Ive lived and worked in Sweden, Portugal and Switzerland since leaving the UK in 1998. I always had a job to go to. I work in an industry where English is the primary language. My knowledge and use of Swedish and Portuguese was limited to enjoying a bit of social life but never got to conversational level. My German isn't much better but I never thought I would be here this long.

Moving before you have a job is a really bad Idea.

It's not a dream, it is reality.
You will definately need a job to go to
You will definately need to speak at least the basics of the language
You will need a years worth of floating capital just to be on the safe side
Be prepared for the unexpected. It will happen.
Dont leave your brains at the airport.

Thanks for the responses!

A heck of a lot of this depends on where you are gravitating towards moving.

Where do you have in mind? i can give advice on Amsterdam and Holland to an extent.
The main hassle i found was sorting getting in a doctors and such, i think this is a universal issue abroad though in general terms.
In Germany and nordic countries for example you will be ok moving before learning the language, towards eastern Europe though i think this changes.

I really wanted to leave the first post clear of details to ensure a broad range of responses!

But, it would likely be to a Nordic country, the Netherlands or Germany due to previous experiences and knowledge of those countries. Next on the list, depending on how the economy is looking at the time, would be Spain.

You'll need a good working knowledge depending on the country. I moved to Budapest for a year and my Hungarian would have made it nearly impossible if so many hadn't spoken German. Research the specific country before you go, but regardless if you have a decent working knowledge of the language you'll step up to fluency in no time through conversing in it day in day out.

Depends on the country you're working in and their average wage etc. When I went to Budapest I was sent there by an Irish company I worked for, getting paid an Irish wage in Budapest was nice :)

Out of the cities I've visited and or worked in I'd recommend Sevilla.

Sevilla! I will bare that in mind.

Thanks for sharing!

Very much depends on what line of work you are in.

If you work for an international company or in an industry where English is the primary business language then learning the local language is secondary to your work. But if not, you will need to be fluent in the local language to get a job. The idea that you can move somewhere without speaking the language and join the local job market with a hope of getting a job ahead of someone who is fluent is a non starter.
Ive lived and worked in Sweden, Portugal and Switzerland since leaving the UK in 1998. I always had a job to go to. I work in an industry where English is the primary language. My knowledge and use of Swedish and Portuguese was limited to enjoying a bit of social life but never got to conversational level. My German isn't much better but I never thought I would be here this long.

Moving before you have a job is a really bad Idea.

Very much a long term plan at this stage; I am in my second year of a degree as a mature student and may end up doing a law conversion for a forth year while my partner is building experience in line of work which is realistically transferable to institutions across Europe. Interesting feedback!

It's not a dream, it is reality.
You will definately need a job to go to
You will definately need to speak at least the basics of the language
You will need a years worth of floating capital just to be on the safe side
Be prepared for the unexpected. It will happen.
Dont leave your brains at the airport.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Hopefully nobody else posts. I'm tired of replying to you lot already. It's enough to make you want to run away to a foreign land...

my brother did his master's in Sweden and Belgium. His classes were in English. In Sweden he took some Swedish classes but never got much beyond ordering food/paying for groceries. He used google translate a lot when he first got there after he could recognize words though not be able to pronounce them. In Belgium he had to use a lot more French which he is fluent in, a lot of his classmates weren't and relied on him.

Learn the currency. And stand your ground. Be friendly of course but don't be taken the piss out of. They see hundreds of people just like you in some places and need to make a few quid, don't be a mug.

Otherwise enjoy it mate, have fun!

If and when we vote to leave Europe your position will be far weaker than currently.

If you fancy Germany you could always try and get a Job working for the NAAFI in Germany.
You will be in a foreign Country in an ALL english Tax free wage and perks & accomodation Environment and still be able to learn the German lingo and integrate if you wish outside of the camp.

http://www.naafi.co.uk/current-vacancies

Vacancy Details
Bond International - Vacancy Details
Reference No 1726
Job Title Leisure Supervisor Paderborn
Type Permanent
Salary Range Euro 22,204.30pa
Location Paderborn
Category Retail / Leisure / Catering
Closing Date 16/10/2015

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.