Affected by Mental Health Issues? Please support

Signed.
Really sorry for your loss.

Our daughter is currently having a series of diagnosis sessions (first one last week) - possible form of Autism. High anxiety, mood swings and deep sadness.
Only really came to the fore over the past year but has worsened. Always put it down to her 'character', but it now appears to be something more than that.
I'm not usually a fan of 'labelling things' (for my pains), but I think I've changed that opinion now. The more it's talked about (you'd never not talk about having a broken limb, shingles et al!) I think it will help. Even discussing that with her has lifted a weight off her shoulders (she's 11).
School is an utter nightmare for her (she's in the last year of primary - high school in September)...from having a tight group of friends, she's almost on her own now (the school has been great though)...and I feel that in the pit of my stomach (as I'm sure she does every day). She's doing very well in a sport, but that causes her anxiety at times - severe lack of confidence and social shyness (which, when going through this last week with the doctor, reminded me of myself when younger...and well into later life, until I literally stopped caring what other people think).
It would be easier to stop the sport (and she's recently moved up to 5 times a week), but I think that will ultimately give her strength (physically and mentally).

I know a fair few people who have suffered terribly from it MH issues.

Signed.

Our daughter is currently having a series of diagnosis sessions (first one last week) - possible form of Autism. High anxiety, mood swings and deep sadness.
Only really came to the fore over the past year but has worsened. Always put it down to her 'character', but it now appears to be something more than that.
I'm not usually a fan of 'labelling things' (for my pains), but I think I've changed that opinion now. The more it's talked about (you'd never not talk about having a broken limb, shingles et al!) I think it will help. Even discussing that with her has lifted a weight off her shoulders (she's 11).
School is an utter nightmare for her (she's in the last year of primary - high school in September)...from having a tight group of friends, she's almost on her own now (the school has been great though)...and I feel that in the pit of my stomach (as I'm sure she does every day). She's doing very well in a sport, but that causes her anxiety at times - severe lack of confidence and social shyness (which, when going through this last week with the doctor, reminded me of myself when younger...and well into later life, until I literally stopped caring what other people think).
It would be easier to stop the sport (and she's recently moved up to 5 times a week), but I think that will ultimately give her strength (physically and mentally).

Certainly, mh issues can have a devastating affect on families, and can prove to be almost impossible for parents to address. This is why recognition, professionalism, research, funding and transparency are so very important. We have been there my friend. Keep going.

Signed.

Sounds just like my son but he's in last year of high school. He only just got diagnosed with autism and like you say we just thought his behavior was him being him. But then it got worse. He says he feels like there is a magnifying glass above his head when he goes out and everyone is looking at him. I've driven to places and had to turn round and take him home because he won't get out. He points at a group of girls and shouts " whores"! Or get outraged and disgusted when he tells me about a kids who smokes twenty a day. I tell him he shouldn't get so upset and that it's their choice even if it is bad. I believe autistic people can't see things from another perspective very well. He's even seen clowns and clown vans which I believe can be the brains way of coping with an anxious situations. He's said he's sat in class wondering what the sound of a lad's (he's sat next to them) neck snapping would sound like. He's not got any intention of harming and he even said sorry to the lad who had no idea what for. Rather upsetting and disturbing stuff though. He gets deeply sad especially with not having many friends. When he did go out finally with two friends he ended up at the house where one had moved to in wythenshaw! We live in a Bury. I spoke to the mother because they said it was ok for him to sleep over. But at 4.30am I got a call to pick him up because he couldn't settle!
I'm waiting for information to come through for support especially as he is starting college in September. There is a good documentary on iPlayer called living with autism. Its a Horizon doc that's worth checking out.

iG4L2Odd25
Bump. Just a quick update on our campaign. We now have 1800 signatures and hundreds of comments. If you have not already signed, please do so and most importantly, share the link on your social media. We have had a great response from the Manchester area as you can see, but we need many more signatures. Sign up here https://www.change.org/p/david-came...-research-of-mental-health-issues-in-the-uk/c

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.