Aguero injured

Screams a Fergie-style “injury” to me.

Say what you will, he was a master of the dark arts and manipulating the international selection system.

I'm surprised more people aren't slightly suspicious about this. No controversy about Aguero being "dropped" in favor of Jesus against Stoke, gets out of some meaningless international friendlies, and recovers in time for our next game. Very convenient.

I can't help thinking Pep has some 'tactical' injuries in the squad.

For me Sane was rested same with Sterling and now it's Sergio's time.

Pep knows if he just rests them then the media will have their usual dirt fest and say he's fallen out with Pep hes leaving etc.

I think Pep is very clever and knows the value of resting the right players at the right time. Keeps the squad nice and fresh rather than burning out like last season.

Have a nice holiday Sergio.

Aguero is very much fighting for his place in the Argentina world cup squad, he's not a popular pick in Argentina and is no longer guaranteed a place. Only 2 international breaks ago he wasn't called up.

I imagine he'd be the last person to agree to a "tactical" injury that meant missing out on these Argentina friendlies.

Where do you find a world class striker willing to sit at #3 behind Aguero and Jesus? And, if not world class, why bother with the talent in this team.

We have a phalanx of attacking talent, any one of whom can play a nine or false nine. In case you haven’t noticed, we do a fair amount of rotation at the business end of the field. And, how would it feel for the likes of Nmecha? Throw him in at the end of the season and get him some game time for next season. Let’s see what some of these lads have. Potential unrealized is nothing.
You can't go using words like 'phalanx' with me, I can't spell it, yet alone know what it means! :-D And yes, it's very difficult to acquire a top class centre forward, but I'd still like one.

If this 3 rd centre forward is any good what does he do for all the games when either Jesus or Aguero is available, and which position do we leave light in the squad to have 3 for 1 position for the odd game ?
He can polish the league cup! ;-)

Last edited:
Aguero is very much fighting for his place in the Argentina world cup squad, he's not a popular pick in Argentina and is no longer guaranteed a place. Only 2 international breaks ago he wasn't called up.

I imagine he'd be the last person to agree to a "tactical" injury that meant missing out on these Argentina friendlies.
I think he could be persuaded, especially given upcoming fixtures and his recent grind covering for our other injuries, and I am not sure playing these specific international games are quite that important to his chances of getting the full call up for the World Cup.

I think he could be persuaded, especially given upcoming fixtures and his recent grind covering for our other injuries, and I am not sure playing these specific international games are quite that important to his chances of getting the full call up for the World Cup.

Except they are, that's the entire point of my post. He is on the very edge of the squad at the moment, his record for Argentina has been awful recently and he's not a popular choice because he's never delivered for them like he has at club level.

With Dybala back from injury and playing well, Aguero's got a very real chance of missing the world cup, and a couple of good performances in the friendlies would have secured his spot.

Except they are, that's the entire point of my post. He is on the very edge of the squad at the moment, his record for Argentina has been awful recently and he's not a popular choice because he's never delivered for them like he has at club level.

With Dybala back from injury and playing well, Aguero's got a very real chance of missing the world cup.
Good news for us if he does assuming of course he is not going to be sold in the summer. More importantly hopefully it is only a knock and he will not miss game time after tonight. His history of returning from injury is one of easing his way back in. We need him to be sharp in early April for three important games potentially all against the rags.

Lukaku, Sanchez and brahimovic came in knowing they'd be a first choice player.
Martial was a very promising youngster, and aside from Ibrahimoivc taking his number, is still at one of the biggest clubs. Not many places are going to be falling over themselves to sign him (not least due to the fee necessary), so there's no point in being awkward.

None of those signingst equate to a notable striker coming to City now.

woosh.

If Icardi is missing out then one would think Sergio is guaranteed his spot barring an injury. That said, given how he pushed himself to play for Argentina when he was struggling with muscle injuries a few years back, and from what we know about his relationship with Guardiola, there's not much to suggest it's not a real injury.

With Dybala back from injury and playing well, Aguero's got a very real chance of missing the world cup, and a couple of good performances in the friendlies would have secured his spot.
I’m really not seeing the concrete evidence (non-supporter or media opinions) for playing in these friendlies being pivotal to his making the Argentina squad (or that he really is likely to miss out given his form this season—regardless of past international returns—and affiliation with a certain player with some sway with their FA) but I may have missed statements from Sampaoli or their FA indicating this. I’d be happy to stand corrected if you can share the links to your information.

If it is just your analysis of the situation, then I respect that, but think it may be a tad overblown. I.e. if we assume this is a legitimate injury, are you saying he may now miss out on the World Cup because he can’t play in this international break?

Last edited:
You can't go using words like 'phalanx' with me, I can't spell it, yet alone know what it means! :-D And yes, it's very difficult to acquire a top class centre forward, but I'd still like one.
Edin, Serge, Mario and Carlos weren't bad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.