Air Crash Investigation

I heard an excellent story from a Virgin 747 training captain who told of an incident where a pilot was addressing the passengers over the intercom. His reassuring tones suddenly changing to a scream of shock causing much consternation amongst the passengers. The cause of his pained scream and stream of expletives.......one of the cabin crew had dropped a cup of hot coffee in his lap.

Loving these "my worst flight" stories. Keep them coming.
Might have to drag my old logbooks out as we had quite a few "my worst flights" on the Nimrod.

Might have to drag my old logbooks out as we had quite a few "my worst flights" on the Nimrod.
MRA2 or R1?

I've had a few. Most notably in a Mk2 Chinook (as a passenger - on headset mind) hover taxying at somewhere between 20 and 30ft in a valley, North of Beinn Dearg, West Scoland in a total white-out. I was sat right at the back with the ramp down, shining a spotlight on to the ground and calling the height to the front enders. The taxi driver earned his crust that night.....

Someone once explained turbulence to me like this:

When a boat is in water it is designed to go up and down over the waves. That's just normal. When a plane is in the air it is designed to go up and down over air pockets. That's just normal.

I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach if it's particularly bad turbulance but that thought normally calms me down.

Someone once explained turbulence to me like this:

When a boat is in water it is designed to go up and down over the waves. That's just normal. When a plane is in the air it is designed to go up and down over air pockets. That's just normal.

I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach if it's particularly bad turbulance but that thought normally calms me down.

What's a little flutter !

Thanks, Arthur Mann, for showing the ruptured wing. Now I am freaking out.

(And wasn't the original Arthur Mann scared of flying, or even refused to fly?)

Been on a few "interesting" MR2 test flights. Shakedown flights after a major were quite entertaining especially when testing the stall warning system. MAD system testing was also usually good for a laugh - there always needed to be an ample supply of barf bags.

Also been on a 125 test flight where the test pilot decided to do a barrel roll. Did a few GPWS test flights on a 125, when we had to fly at a mountain where the aircraft's altitude was only about 100 feet higher than the peak. I remember one particular flight where the wrong mountain in Snowdonia was chosen which was actually a bit higher than the aircraft's altitude. Luckily the pilot realised in time and pulled up enough but he managed to startle a few sheep on top of the mountain in the process.

Last edited:
Did some gliding from Great Hucklow a good few years ago. My first flight was quite short as the instructor had no luck in finding any lift and was little more than a circuit to land. Despite this the experience of a winch launch came as quite a shock, from being sat stationary with your arse a few inches off the floor to being at around 1000ft in a few seconds was enough to warrant the need of a stewards enquiry regarding ones underwear shortly after landing, the almighty bang you hear when the cable gets released also increases the danger of unwanted contact with cloth.

My second flight came a couple of hours later with another instructor who was a former RAF Lightning pilot and instructor. Now being prepared for the launch and the big bang, i was quite relaxed and looking forward to seeing the Peak district from the air on what was now a stunning summer evening. The launch this time was most enjoyable and the cable release only caused a minor heart attack. However within seconds Douglas Bader in the back seat had found some lift and had banked sharply and the ride once again got interesting as he took us up to 4000ft.

Having reached this altitude my instructor announced that as I was up here I may as well learn to fly the aircraft before saying the dreaded words of "you have control". For the next half hour the bloke sat behind me shouting "relax your bloody shoulders" "lighter on the stick" "get the bloody nose down" "relax or you wont feel the aircraft". At a point he had taken back control for some reason i cannot begin to fathom I foolishly asked what a stall and spiral spin involved? (having heard such a thing mentioned by another instructor on the ground and not having liked the sound of it). What followed wasnt funny, I really did come close to shitting myself.

When we finally landed there were quite a few grinning faces who had been roundly entertained watching a real life "spring chicken to shite hawk" lesson from the safety of the ground. I got the bug and went back most weeks for a few months sadly finances wouldnt stretch to continuing but I really would recommend a trip to Great Hucklow for an air experience flight if nothing else. Lovely little bar as well where you can recover with a beer or two.

Really if you are at a loose end this spring or summer get yourself up there and give it a go.....you can thank me later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.