Album of the day - Manic Street Preachers (Know Your Enemy)

BlueHammer85

Manic_Street_Preachers_-_Know_Your_Enemy_-_2001.jpg

Know Your Enemy is the sixth studio album by Welsh alternative rock band Manic Street Preachers. It was released on 19 March 2001 by record label Virgin. It was supported by four singles; two of them, "Found That Soul" and "So Why So Sad", were released on the same day as a publicity stunt.

Know Your Enemy was a commercial success, albeit not as successful as its predecessor This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours. Critics were somewhat divided in their opinions, but its reception has been mostly positive.

1. We Are All Bourgeois Now
2. Found That Soul
3. Ocean Spray
4. Intravenous Agnostic
5. So Why So Sad
6. Let Robeson Sing
7. The Year Of Purification
8. Wattsville Blues
9. Miss Europa Disco Dancer
10. Dead Martyrs
11. His Last Painting
12. My Guernica
13. The Convalescent
14. Royal Correspondent
15. Epicentre
16. Baby Elian
17. Freedom Of Speech Won't Feed My Children

Review 162

Another big selling album from The Manics and one that seems to divide opinion amongst their fans - I can see why, they change their style on here going for a less rock sound with some nice uplifting sounds focusing on political topics bringing the Albums real strength, Lyrics, Whilst it is a solid album - what it lacks is a real stand out hit single - 'So Why So Sad' and the best track 'Let Robeson Sing' both made the top 10 but are not 'great' tracks which the Manics are capable of - they could have trimmed this album down a few tracks as it is far too long, despite this it is a good enjoyable melodic album from a great band.

7.0/10

Love the wattsville blues, and if I'm not mistaken doesn't Nicky wire do lead vocals on it?
Great album, I rank this up with everything must go.

Yes, the one and only track on here he does vocals, good song and a different style

Ocean Spray is an incredible song. To think the drinks company of the same name wanted to use a song written about JDB's dying mother in one of their ads.

Even better live, with just the man himself and the sax for support.

Even if you’re not a fan this is a great watch, mainly focused around the suicide/dissaperance of Richey Edwards

Shocking album in my opinion. They'd have been about right packing in after The Holy Bible because there wasn't really anywhere for them to go after that. Instead they chose the advert music route, the Coldplay route, and gradually, year upon year, lost most of their deserved credibility.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.