Album of the day - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (By The Way)

BlueHammer85

by+the+way.jpg

By the Way is the eighth studio album by American rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers. The album was released on July 9, 2002 on Warner Bros. Records. It sold over 286,000 copies in the first week, and peaked at number two on the Billboard 200. (Their next album would peak at number one) The singles from the album included "By the Way", "The Zephyr Song", "Can't Stop", "Dosed" and "Universally Speaking". The lyrical subject matter vocalist Anthony Kiedis addresses in By the Way is a divergence from previous Chili Peppers albums, with Kiedis taking a more candid and reflective approach to his lyrics.

By the Way was lauded by critics as a departure from the band's previous styles, and is recognized for the melodic and subdued emotions given by the Chili Peppers. Guitarist John Frusciante is credited with writing most of the album's melodies, bass lines, and guitar progressions, therefore changing the direction of the recording dramatically: "his warm, understated guitar work and his doo-wop style vocal harmonies are king this time around." By the Way contained very little of the signature punk-funk fusion the band had become known for playing. Frusciante has stated that writing "By the Way [was] one of the happiest times in my life." The album went on to sell over 8 million copies worldwide

1. By the Way
2. Universally Speaking
3. This Is the Place
4. Dosed
5. Don't Forget Me
6. The Zephyr Song
7. Can't Stop
8. I Could Die for You
9. Midnight
10. Throw Away Your Television
11. Cabron
12. Tear
13. On Mercury
14. Minor Thing
15. Warm Tape
16. Venice Queen

First Album review of 2017 and first ever Chilli Peppers Album review - Having never really been a fan of RHCP before i must admit this album is very good - Less rock and funk from there previous work , instead this album has huge hits with softer melodies, lyrically its also much more maturer than there early days.
Many tracks on here are reflective and sincere showcased by great harmonies and guitar playing notably from Flea and John Frusciante who deserve the most credit - Having tackled drug issues and band members coming and going on previous work it seems this was a time when all of the band were united and sober.
'Can't Stop' 'Cabron' and the 'Zephyr Song' are great upbeat tracks to the melancholy vibe of 'By The Way' and 'I Could Die For You' - Experimentally mixing Pop, Funk, Rock and Rap 'By The Way' showcases there best work.
Can imagine for the real hardcore fans that some would be a bit dissapointed they softened there appeal and went for more commercial sound.

8.2/10

pulled one out of the bag there bud

excellent choice, has a special resonance with me in a turning point in my life

Last edited:
They've been shite since the nineties. Threw the funk out the window and went dollar chasing instead.

Compare anything post One Hot Minute to the following and it just doesn't stand up:

@BlueHammer85 just trying to soften us up with a good one before going in for the kill.
Also a chance he realises that once we are down to 8 men and three behind in the cup he will need all the friends he can get on here ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.