Album of the day - Stereophonics (Graffiti on the Train)

BlueHammer85

Stereophonics_-_Graffiti_on_the_Train_%28Album_artwork%29.png

Graffiti on the Train is the eighth studio album by Welsh rock band Stereophonics. Produced by the group's lead-singer and guitarist Kelly Jones and Jim Lowe, it was released on 4 March 2013 on their own Stylus Records. It was the first Stereophonics album since Keep Calm and Carry On (2009), marking the first time they had not released a record within two years. It was intended for an October 2012 release date and took nearly two years to complete. This is the last record to feature drummer Javier Weyler, who was officially replaced by Jamie Morrison on 24 September 2012.

The album's earliest idea was spawned when children were running across the singer's rooftop in order to access the trains and spray paint graffiti on one of them. With 40 unfinished song ideas, the band composed 30 of these to be released as an album trilogy but decided against the idea, instead releasing a follow up on 11 September 2015. Also planned that year is the go-ahead on production for a screenplay of the same name Jones is developing. British film composer David Arnold worked alongside the producers to compose three of the song's orchestral arrangements; the record is seen as a shift in the group's musical style as it incorporates cinematic-style music. Recording sessions were primarily performed at ICP Studios in Brussels, Belgium in order to concentrate more on the record.

The album was released to a critical success, being called one of their best albums to date; commercial performance contrasted however when compared with previous albums, selling over 300,000 copies in the UK and peaking at number three in the country's albums chart. It produced the band's best performing single since 2007, "Indian Summer", and was nominated for the World's Best Album in 2014. Graffiti on the Train was supported by a world tour named after the album from 2012–2013 and became the tenth most popular tour of 2013.

1. We Share the Same Sun
2. Graffiti on the Train
3. Indian Summer
4. Take Me
5. Catacomb
6. Roll the Dice
7. Violins and Tambourines
8. Been Caught Cheating
9. In a Moment
10. No-one's Perfect

A consistently good band and another very good album from Stereophonics, More slow ballad types of tracks on this than previous albums, Some tracks work better than others and there is a certain rock edge missing. However it is a consistent album and very atmospheric ,the title track is great, 'Violins and Tambourines' is worth a mention and the biggest hit from this 'Indian Summer'

7.6/10

So you two have actually heard this album properly ?

For a band that's been going 23 years there doing something right.

i took a punt on this album a few months back, going cheap in asda

i was pleasantly surpised, far better than expected, dont get me wrong its not going to change the face of music, but its a well crafted album

Loved this a few years ago, thought this album was pretty dull overall.
I like the first song from it. Share the same sun.
The rest of it was quite bland and dull

Further evidence, if any more was needed, that the sunshine is baking some peoples brains. Stereo's are quite simply class. Kelly is a singer/songwriter supreme and some of his lyrics are incredible. Listen to Mr Writer - he slags off the journo's with more style and panache than anyone on the agenda thread! Oh, and what a voice. Not their best album, but still gets the old juices flowing.

Great album,great band and brilliant live.one of few who can make the transition of record to live performance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.