Aleksandar Kolarov - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do need an upgrade but I will say that I think playing for this side under Pep means a hell of a lot to the guy
He is getting on a bit and deservedly faced a lot of criticism for attitude or just plain lack of 'game management' but hes a genuinely spectacular footballer. Not in the sense that he is a very good defender or anything, but he has tools that pretty much no other player in the squad has bar fernandinho in terms of all round assets, plus hes a big guy.
He does have genuinely everything you could need to be a top, top player and he has been here for a long time because of those abilities, despite people questioning what he offers. He just doesn't have that decision making or urgency sometimes to be consistently good enough.
Watch his celebrations for the 2nd goal in the derby, or when Aguero was taking the penalty at Swansea. Pep has given him a chance and he intends to give his all, but he will be upgraded on in the summer

has anyone seen enough replays to judge if Kolarov got much on it for Saints goal?

I was sitting ten metres from him at the time and I can tell you he busted a nut trying to save it but there was nothing he could have done.

I was sitting ten metres from him at the time and I can tell you he busted a nut trying to save it but there was nothing he could have done.

no i thought not, ta. replays show as much, just wondered if he'd actually managed to make the tackle

In & amongst our non crisis of 5 matches there has been one where all concerned say we were unlucky & could have or should have got several goals. Oh & the opposition manager said we were the best team he had EVER faced.

This was, of course, against Everton.

And of course Kolarov was not playing.

There are plenty on here who rightly are critical when he does play badly ( or the current word " unlucky " ) but it should also be pointed out that the facts support the narrative that we play better without him, in our non crisis time.

For me the key, key word is PACE or rather lack of it. As well.

In & amongst our non crisis of 5 matches there has been one where all concerned say we were unlucky & could have or should have got several goals. Oh & the opposition manager said we were the best team he had EVER faced.

This was, of course, against Everton.

And of course Kolarov was not playing.

There are plenty on here who rightly are critical when he does play badly ( or the current word " unlucky " ) but it should also be pointed out that the facts support the narrative that we play better without him, in our non crisis time.

For me the key, key word is PACE or rather lack of it. As well.

There have been plenty of games over the years when he has not played and the team have been crap ! By the way I thought he had a good game v Barca and an excellent game ( again ! ) on Sunday. The pass to De Bruyne ( rubbish again on sunday ) early on was sublime and he defended well generally. Still, you just cannot please everyone I guess ! There are bigger concerns for me in the team than Kolarov.

There have been plenty of games over the years when he has not played and the team have been crap ! By the way I thought he had a good game v Barca and an excellent game ( again ! ) on Sunday. The pass to De Bruyne ( rubbish again on sunday ) early on was sublime and he defended well generally. Still, you just cannot please everyone I guess ! There are bigger concerns for me in the team than Kolarov.

what like? out of interest

I think Kolarov is in the team and squad this year for two reasons. He obviously buys into what the manager is doing. And he is a leader on the pitch and we dont have many of them. So important in a team. Kompany is back, maybe things will change ..

what like? out of interest

Aguero not firing on all cylinders, is it disinterest or injury ?
Lack of depth in the goalscoring department.
De Bruyne and Silva possibly not being able to work together in the same team, hence we misfire
De Bruynes general lack of effort in certain games
Sterling had a good start but now that the going is getting a bit tough is he reverting to old ways ?
Sane struggling to settle in
Ya Ya and the ongoing problems with him and the scandalous amount of money he is costing us
Kompany - will he ever get a decent run of games and get back to his old self rather than making basic errors like he did on sunday
Zabaleta's poor displays this season
Is Bravo the answer to the hart situation ?

Just a few off the top of my head ! For me Kolarov and Nolito have been the two biggest plusses of the season so far.

God forbid if Kolarov misplaced that pass instead of Stones, there would be pitchforks out and he would be hung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.